How many of you have sold on Swappa?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
How is it?
Is there a hold on your payment ( limit on how soon you can spend it) like eBay?
Have you ever had any issues with buyers, or anything else? And How fast did your item sell?:smile:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Sold a Surface and 2 other devices on there.

It's somewhat easy to use.
All my deals were paid thru PayPal gift so money transfers were instant.

Swappa does keep 10 dollars on every sale though.
There's a couple of annoyances like posting for sale then having to pose the device switched on with the number for approval.

All in all not too bad if you really want to get rid of items.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Sold a Surface and 2 other devices on there.

It's somewhat easy to use.
All my deals were paid thru PayPal gift so money transfers were instant.

Swappa does keep 10 dollars on every sale though.
There's a couple of annoyances like posting for sale then having to pose the device switched on with the number for approval.

All in all not too bad if you really want to get rid of items.

If a buyer clicks your "buy it now" button on Swappa, it'll automatically come as a gift? or do you have to negotiate with the buyer and have them send it to you as a gift?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
You'll have to request PayPal gift from the buyer.
Also you can add details for such in your offering.

I did things like: buyer pays shipping if wanted quickly, offered as is and willing to accept returns.
It's been a while since I sold on there so things may have changed a bit.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Shipping is paid by the seller typically and is included in the listed price.

$10 sale fee for Swappa, subtracted from the ticket price - its very clear a out it.

I've sold a few things there - it was fairly painless.

Money once bought through the site is done as a business transaction through PayPal. You have the money immediately minus the aforementioned $10 and PayPal's own fees.

speed of sale depends.
it was fairly painless and it is more trustworthy IMO for all parties.

You have to jump through an additional hoop for sale, but its a reassurance for the buyer.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Shipping is paid by the seller typically and is included in the listed price.

$10 sale fee for Swappa, subtracted from the ticket price - its very clear a out it.

I've sold a few things there - it was fairly painless.

Money once bought through the site is done as a business transaction through PayPal. You have the money immediately minus the aforementioned $10 and PayPal's own fees.

speed of sale depends.
it was fairly painless and it is more trustworthy IMO for all parties.

You have to jump through an additional hoop for sale, but its a reassurance for the buyer.

If it is done as a business PayPal transaction, then doesn't that mean PayPal will hold it, and not allow me to use my payment, for around two weeks to assure the buyer is happy with it?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If it is done as a business PayPal transaction, then doesn't that mean PayPal will hold it, and not allow me to use my payment, for around two weeks to assure the buyer is happy with it?

It just means that the buyer and seller has some protections (whereas gift has no recourse for the buyer) and that PayPal takes a small percentage cut.

The money was put in my account right from the get go and no indication was given saying I couldn't turn around and use the money immediately. (although I would keep enough to cover it just in case I as a seller get screwed over, to minimize screwing)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Selling/buying on Swappa is very similar to eBay's Buy It Now. The buyer clicks to purchase, and the transaction is completed through PayPal. AFAIK there is no other way to do it unless you message the seller and arrange some other kind of deal.

I've bought and sold on Swappa. It's quite painless. One advantage of eBay is that you're guaranteed a sale if you use the auction, where with Swappa it sits there until it sells. That said, a sale is as good as guaranteed on Swappa if your price is right!

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Selling/buying on Swappa is very similar to eBay's Buy It Now. The buyer clicks to purchase, and the transaction is completed through PayPal. AFAIK there is no other way to do it unless you message the seller and arrange some other kind of deal.

I've bought and sold on Swappa. It's quite painless. One advantage of eBay is that you're guaranteed a sale if you use the auction, where with Swappa it sits there until it sells. That said, a sale is as good as guaranteed on Swappa if your price is right!

When you rreceivedpayment did it stay "pending" for a week or two, or wad it immediately available to spend

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
It was available immediately.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

How long ago was this? Sorry if I'm asking too much, but I just want to be really sure I can purchase my next phone immediately after my current one sells.

Lastly if u can remember was it immediately available ur first time selling, & did u actually attempt to buy something with ur $ right after u received it?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How long ago was this? Sorry if I'm asking too much, but I just want to be really sure I can purchase my next phone immediately after my current one sells.

Lastly if u can remember was it immediately available ur first time selling, & did u actually attempt to buy something with ur $ right after u received it?

I sold a phone on Swappa almost exactly a month ago, can confirm. It was there.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I usually transfer the money to my bank account. It is available as soon as the payment from the buyer is processed. When I get the notification that I have been paid, I log in to my PayPal account, and the money is there. I can spend it or transfer it to the bank.

Just an hour ago I sold a phone on eBay. The buyer paid within a few minutes of the end of the auction. A few minutes later, I logged in to my PayPal account and transferred the money to my bank account.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I usually transfer the money to my bank account. It is available as soon as the payment from the buyer is processed. When I get the notification that I have been paid, I log in to my PayPal account, and the money is there. I can spend it or transfer it to the bank.

Just an hour ago I sold a phone on eBay. The buyer paid within a few minutes of the end of the auction. A few minutes later, I logged in to my PayPal account and transferred the money to my bank account.

Ok thanks, I guess because you have done many PayPal business transactions, PayPal doesn't hold your money anymore, because eBay is known to hold money for some time, particularly for new sellers

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok thanks, I guess because you have done many PayPal business transactions, PayPal doesn't hold your money anymore, because eBay is known to hold money for some time, particularly for new sellers

The money itself doesn't have anything to do with eBay. The money goes to PayPal. I don't think it makes any difference if you're a first time seller or not.

But yes, I have sold many phones on eBay, probably around 75 or 80 altogether. However, I do not recall the money being held even on the first sale.

A lot of people hate eBay for some reason and cannot say anything good about them. But I've bought and sold many thousands of dollars of products through them with no issues. I cannot say anything bad about eBay, other than that I think the seller fees are a bit too high! :wink:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I've sold a few items on Swappa and did not have a single problem. As Guytronic says, make sure your listing states you want it paid by gifting on PayPal.

I like having to show the listed item with a picture of the listing # and the item turned on. Gives the buyer a bit more confidence in getting what he is seeing.

Also, if you list a phone, you have to provide the ESN/MEID for the item and it is checked before the listing is posted. I really like that bit of extra confirmation that the item isn't stolen or can't be activated.

Go for it; less expensive to sell than eBay and normally sells fast if you list it at a competitive price.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I contacted Swappa and they said you are not allowed to request PayPal gift as it provides no protection to the buyer.

Last edited:

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I guess I just have to let my poor ol' 928 rot in the marketplace for a good while until some rare individual takes interest in it finally.

I need to sell my device in a way that doesn't hold my money for a 1-2 weeks before I can spend It. That's why I need PayPal gift, as PayPal business transactions will keep the payment pending for 21 days & only sooner if you provide a tracking number, for new sellers, and I simply cannot ship out my main device while also not having my money available for me to spend to get my next device. That would leave me phoneless for about 2 weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99