Post pictures of your latest purchase

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
2017 Nvidia Shield

unnamed.jpg

It's a fairly random pickup actually. Originally I had no plans on buying this but I'm temporarily moving my Xbox to another table because it's a good height to use my racing wheel but I wanted something hooked up to my TV so I could still use YouTube, Hulu, etc etc. Originally I had my PC hooked up, and I still do, but it's not even remotely convenient. Even with a wireless keyboard and mouse I still found it to be a hassle. Then I saw Amazon had the Shield on sale for $139, so I marched down to Best Buy (who had it on sale for $149, hehe) and I got it price matched plus $5 in my rewards credit. Not as cheap as the $119 during Black Friday, but still not too bad.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
2017 Nvidia Shield

View attachment 140261

It's a fairly random pickup actually. Originally I had no plans on buying this but I'm temporarily moving my Xbox to another table because it's a good height to use my racing wheel but I wanted something hooked up to my TV so I could still use YouTube, Hulu, etc etc. Originally I had my PC hooked up, and I still do, but it's not even remotely convenient. Even with a wireless keyboard and mouse I still found it to be a hassle. Then I saw Amazon had the Shield on sale for $139, so I marched down to Best Buy (who had it on sale for $149, hehe) and I got it price matched plus $5 in my rewards credit. Not as cheap as the $119 during Black Friday, but still not too bad.
I'm debating whether I should get this or not. I currently use the Mi Box from a couple of years ago.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Very cool! Please let us know how you like it.

Ok, so far battery life is not going to be an issue with this one much like it was with its predecessor. It's 1:30 and I'm still at 79% with some heavy Monday usage. I'm using the Speed Key a lot more than I thought I would but on the down side, I've lost trackpad capability. Small price to pay for the $250 difference between this and the Key2. I like that the keys are slightly bigger and flatter than the KeyONE's and so is the space bar/FPS. Speaking of, it's been a while since I've used a front-mounted FPS so that'll take some getting used to. The power button is easy to find with the serrated edge so that's a nice detail as the volume buttons and the convenience button are thin slivers of metal. I've used the camera very little but it seems just as good as the KeyONE's if not more color accurate. Oh and one more thing before I forget, the volume is crazy loud for alerts and notifications - I really like that.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm debating whether I should get this or not. I currently use the Mi Box from a couple of years ago.

For me I was really worried that the Tegra X1 would feel extremely dated (it's a 2015 chip, after all) but all the reviews I've watched says that the system still runs super fast, even with the Android 8.0 update. Maybe down the line I'll get into the game streaming stuff and dabble with all the games in the Play Store. I thought I'd get a Fire TV but the overwhelming number of options on the Shield eventually won me over. Eventually my two systems will flip flop again, but I'd rather have this a secondary streaming machine than a Fire/Roku/Apple TV. Especially since the price is right at $140.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I know that I'm a glutton for punishment.
e3f94d96a84ff7e2871054f62341549c.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Nice device. I hope you like it.

How is the audio?
Audio is good. Just as I remember. Do need a better pair of headphones to drive though.

Performance is good. The internet connections is on the slower side but it is what it is. Battery life I'm not a fan of, even though it's better than the Pixel 2. I'm adjusting to the taller screen, but I still don't like it.

All in all, it's as I expect. It'll do the job I want.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Audio is good. Just as I remember. Do need a better pair of headphones to drive though.

Performance is good. The internet connections is on the slower side but it is what it is. Battery life I'm not a fan of, even though it's better than the Pixel 2. I'm adjusting to the taller screen, but I still don't like it.

All in all, it's as I expect. It'll do the job I want.
That sounds good. Which headphones are you looking at?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Just found out I can use my Google speaker to control some features on the Shield. Nice. Sure the remote has a voice button but hands free is always convenient.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes