What are your Top 5 Programs Microsoft has Killed?!

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
With the shuttering of Groove it had me thinking over the years what were the programs I loved to use that Microsoft cancelled. Here are mine in no particular order:

1) Zune/Xbox Music/Groove

2) Media Center

3) Messenger

4) CD Player

5) Windows Phone ( to include Nokia)

Honorable mention:

Microsoft Money
Encarta
Microsoft Works

Last edited:

Vishvjeet Arya

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Mine will be:
1) Windows Movie Maker (It was an ok video editor for editing home movies)
2) Encarta (They should have at least transformed it into an online encyclopedia)
3) Groove Music
4) Windows Phone OS (Although with mixed reality they are killing it but they need a phone OS as we are not into that version of future where everybody put visors over their eyes)
5) Microsoft Band and it's OS/UI (It was actually a really good piece of gadget)
Honorable mentions:
Microsoft Money
Windows media Center
Microsoft DVD
Sunrise calendar and every other app thing they purchase and abandon.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Pretty much my list as well. I would add:

Wells Fargo Bank as very important loss but can get by using website.

Love your Avatar; brings back some good memories.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Zune was awesome back then I was going to get the zune hd I loved the look of it. :) Though yes groove is one im not overly thrilled they killed off neither am I mad. MSN Messenger was great I saw no purpose of them closing it hell was a lot better then skype. I still feel till this day it was. As for Media Center it was something sadly I only was able to use it at the time when I had a tv tuner it was neat. As for Microsoft Works. I wasn't sure what to think of it I always felt Microsoft Office was the better program though sometime tells me based on the thread here that Microsoft works was first around before Microsoft office took over.

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
...MSN Messenger was great I saw no purpose of them closing it hell was a lot better then skype. I still feel till this day it was. As for Media Center it was something sadly I only was able to use it at the time when I had a tv tuner it was neat...

I agree with you 100% on Messenger. It was far better than Skype. As for Media Center I still use it on my Windows 8.1 computer. Of course all the features don't work but the Music play is so awesome - it has that Zune look and feel. But when you use the photo slide show feature in music it is so beautiful. I mean there should be a special photo app or program just using that feature. Microsoft builds such beautiful things only to kill them.

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I used Money for years - loved it! Was very sad to see it go. Killing Groove is more painful though...

I loved Money. The graphics were beautiful. The entire program was just awesome. At the time I used Money as my primary and Quicken as a backup. Then the canceled Money and I've been using Quicken ever since.

Yes. The shuttering of Groove is really painful at the moment. I'll move my stuff to Spotify for now. But I might end up on Pandora.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Let's not forget Windows mobile 6.1 since it software. I loved how easy it was to skin it and tweak the colors. 6.5 left a meh feeling. Oh and let's not forget Windows longhorn. I know it was beta but boy was it awesome with its aero look and feel. Vista was ok but longhorn look awesome.

anon(9275303)

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
A couple of these are not technically canceled but are suffering from a slow death from neglect, but my list would include:

1) Windows Phone/Mobile in all iterations
2) Zune/Xbox Music/Groove
3) Kinect
4) Socl
5) Microsoft Money
6) Xbox Fitness
7) Microsoft Health & Fitness and the Band

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
A couple of these are not technically canceled but are suffering from a slow death from neglect, but my list would include:

1) Windows Phone/Mobile in all iterations
2) Zune/Xbox Music/Groove
3) Kinect
4) Socl
5) Microsoft Money
6) Xbox Fitness
7) Microsoft Health & Fitness and the Band

How could I forget Kinect. I have three. Microsoft was so far ahead in this space and couldn't or didn't capitalize. I still have some Xbox Fitness videos on my Xbox One. You could earn more videos with more completed workouts. Socl another site Microsoft just didn't market whatsoever. Sad.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I loved the screen mirroring app on Xbox one. It let me mirror my Lumia and my Surface RT 2 on my TV. But now it crashes as soon as I try to open it.

anon(8063781)

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
1. Zune. The desktop software. So elegant.
2. Zune. The device software. I liked it better than Windows phone and thought that they missed the opportunity to build the phone software around that great typographical interface.
3. MSN Messenger. I used to end up chatting with a lot of friends of friends, because it was actually social.
4. Windows Mobile. The today screen. Still not really replicated. Palm OS was quite similar in its final incarnation.
5. Progman.exe. Just kidding.

Last edited:

Groover1971

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
There was one app that never seemed to make it to the public. They showed it to us at a Bing get together a couple of years ago. I can't remember the name of it but it used location and AI camera recognition to create various memes automatically based on that information. It looked pretty cool.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile
Microsoft Band / Health (Still use Band 2, but will sorely miss when my 3rd and last one dies)
Movie Maker (Dang it, why kill a great, quick movie editor)
Media Center
Widgets for Desktop

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised that there are comments about software that still exists and still functions, but these people miss it even though they stopped using it. They stopped supporting something they liked. The people that quit are, in some way, part of the problem.

Microsoft Money, Zune, and Windows Media Center were written back in the day when software was written so well that it still functions today. No need for constant updates. We use all three and they are still amazing. Microsoft money lost some of its ability to download data from our banks and investments but a developer wrote a tool that solves it.
Windows Media Center is still functioning as a whole house media system throughout our house. I set up another new system six months ago using HD HomeRun Prime.

Even the Zune software is still available for download and has many of it's amazing functions. Great visuals!

Support what you like, or be part of the problem.

Last edited:

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised that there are comments about software that still exists and still functions, but these people miss it even though they stopped using it. They stopped supporting something they liked. The people that quit are, in some way, part of the problem..

Great point! I still use many of the items I listed. But...., they are not mainstream any longer. Microsoft has stopped supporting these programs. It's not like some of them are totally gone. They are just removed from consumers space they are no longer advertised/promoted. And that in the long run makes them seem as though they no longer exist.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism