OneDrive download issues

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Huh? Are you saying you want everything you download to your phone to actually be stored in OneDrive (which means data transfer every time you access a file)?
Basically, yes.
I rarely download anything to my phone and have unlimited data so the file transfers won't be an issue.

So... Is it possible?

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Basically, yes.
I rarely download anything to my phone and have unlimited data so the file transfers won't be an issue.

So... Is it possible?

What kind of files are you talking about? Photos and videos can be set to automatically upload to OneDrive, but other file types? Not to my knowledge. And frankly, I can't imagine them making that an option simply because of the number of people who would flip that switch, then scream bloody murder when their metered data plan hit the limit. Additionally, what happens when you are somewhere without a strong LTE or WiFi signal and all you've got is what's on your phone? Yikes.

In Office, you do have the option of doing a Save As... and choosing OneDrive as the storage location. OneNote is automatically synced with OneDrive. What else? Music? Yeah, no. That's one that a lot of people want... so they can set up streaming from their own collection.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
What kind of files are you talking about? Photos and videos can be set to automatically upload to OneDrive, but other file types? Not to my knowledge. And frankly, I can't imagine them making that an option simply because of the number of people who would flip that switch, then scream bloody murder when their metered data plan hit the limit. Additionally, what happens when you are somewhere without a strong LTE or WiFi signal and all you've got is what's on your phone? Yikes.

In Office, you do have the option of doing a Save As... and choosing OneDrive as the storage location. OneNote is automatically synced with OneDrive. What else? Music? Yeah, no. That's one that a lot of people want... so they can set up streaming from their own collection.
So, when downloading a file from the internet, I have to download it to the downloads folder then manually share it to OneDrive?
Frankly, that's counter-productive (if my 930 could take an SD card, I wouldn't care).

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
What kind of files are you downloading from the internet to your cell phone? It's not something I've done, so I'm just trying to figure out which apps are involved here...

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
What kind of files are you downloading from the internet to your cell phone? It's not something I've done, so I'm just trying to figure out which apps are involved here...
Lets say it's an image file, by default it goes to Saved Pics but I want to access it from one of my Win 8.1 devices. Unless I manually share with OneDrive, it's stuck in my 930.
On Windows 8.1, OneDrive is my default download location, why does WP make sharing files so awkward?

OneDrive, Files and Storage Sense are involved.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Lets say it's an image file, by default it goes to Saved Pics but I want to access it from one of my Win 8.1 devices. Unless I manually share with OneDrive, it's stuck in my 930.
On Windows 8.1, OneDrive is my default download location, why does WP make sharing files so awkward?

OneDrive, Files and Storage Sense are involved.

Do you have your WP set to automatically upload pics to OneDrive? and do you have OneDrive set up on Windows 8.1? Photo sync between 3 locations is automatic.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Then I'm totally confused. With auto upload to OneDrive, your pics are not stuck on your phone. Anything you stuff in Saved Photos gets copied to your OneDrive. With access to all OneDrive files on your Win 8.1 computer, you have access to those photos. What am I missing?

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm not talking auto-upload, that works fine.

What I want is to change the default location for files I download from the internet on my phone. Currently, any file I download goes to the download folder and I have to move it (share it) manually to OneDrive.
What I want is to be able to set OneDrive as the default location where all my downloaded files go on WP 8.1, which is what I have done on Windows 8.1.

Basically, I don't want to use local storage on my 930 for downloads.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes