OneDrive Kills Unlimited Cloud Storage and Downgrades All Other Options

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. My onedrive account is sitting at 4gb. I gpt only pictures and recorded videos there. Uploaded since WP7 times. I hope they do something about it because I use onedrive very often.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but the combination of everything is corporate suicide especially when combined with their reasoning they gave which makes no sense given the range of things they did.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to my Office 365 subscription, I'm unaffected, I'm hardly going to miss what I was unlikely to use anyway. However I do think 5GB is too small because, allowing 50MB per album, that's only equivalent to 100 CDs. I already have 237 albums in One Drive and am only about half way through my collection - I haven't even touched my classical music yet. This is too restrictive to convince customers to use the service, you don't even get an allowance with a Groove Music pass, IIRC.

The other issue is safety. I personally trust Microsoft more than any other company in being able to keep my data safe, however this is a significant wobble on their part. Cloud storage is still relatively new and has yet to convince many that it is a safe option. The problem is that the precedent has been set; you store all your stuff in the cloud and with one change in the T&Cs, a substantial portion is gone. Yes, I know Microsoft is giving its users a year's grace, but you don't sell a service by giving its users nasty surprises.

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Just a completely ridiculous and stupid set of decisions and moves by MS. To promote "Cloud First / Mobile First", and then to totally cripple your commitment to that slogan and the public's perception of your commitment by effectively saying:

"Well, what we mean is Cloud First / Mobile First as long as it's really not a whole lot of stuff that you want to put into your cloud, because, like, if you put your CD collection up there (which we suggested you do so you can stream it from OneDrive) and if you actually backup all your camera photos and videos up there (which we heavily promoted by offering you some bonus GB specifically for doing so but then decided you shouldn't really need it or have it) and if you save Outlook.com attachments there and use OneNote a lot and Office365 for actually collaborating with others, and if you move other files from your laptop to OneDrive so you have access to them from all your devices like we've promoted, and if you back up some other files to OneDrive to help prevent file loss, and if you basically just use OneDrive like a regular person's hard drive in the sky (remember the bonus GB we provided when we changed the name from SkyDrive to OneDrive because some little company somewhere, ummm, actually owned the rights to the SkyDrive name? Oops.), and if you intend to use OneDrive in all these productive ways for some untold number of years into the future, then, I mean, jeesh, all that storage is gonna add up! Probably to even more than a TB, and that's totally catching us off guard! So we'd rather alienate our best customers and biggest proponents in a time when we really, really, really need them because of all this intense competition from pesky Apple and Google and when we're introducing a new operating system and a Surface Book and two new mobile phones and a new flagship store in New York City, than be reasonable and trustworthy about how to adjust the cloud offerings we promised to those same customers and proponents. We're pretty sure that ruining all the goodwill and momentum we built up over the last few years through our innovative products and value-based offerings will somehow totally pay off in the long haul. Satya has it all figured out . . . we think."

Remember that you can send feedback directly to the OneDrive team by opening the OD app on your phone and then shaking your phone to bring up the feedback box. And, ironically enough, the feedback box text space seems to be "unlimited".

Last edited:

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
FYI, as of 3:00 eastern time today the "Give us back our storage" OneDrive uservoice idea has just under 30,000 votes. And that's many thousands of votes higher than it was even this morning. Maybe/hopefully MS will realize they totally screwed up on this, but we'll see . . .

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
That's why giving all your data /anything for safe keep has never been the best idea, I prefer the traditional way of having your own hard drives. Another scenario is to workup one day and find yourself being denied access to your data for whatever reason that might be,

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's why giving all your data /anything for safe keep has never been the best idea, I prefer the traditional way of having your own hard drives. Another scenario is to workup one day and find yourself being denied access to your data for whatever reason that might be,

Well, the files are still on our hard drives - trying to keep them in sync across two or three devices can be awkward with USB drives.

And hardware failure can be a thing, I've had a portable hard drive go kaput on me a couple years ago.

So that's why I use everything.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
No doubt I'm in the minority, but I think people should pay for cloud storage based on usage. Otherwise the cost is embedded in other products and services and the nominal users subsidize the gluttons.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
With the reasoning MS gave, they obviously didn't really mean "unlimited" when they said "unlimited" before. They meant it's unlimited as long as you don't plan on actual using it.

I can understand their decision to switch to 1 TB, but the reasoning and execution is horrible.

Also, why did they nerf all the other lower tiers? That has nothing to do with people who "abused" their unlimited plan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss