multiple live ID's on WP7?

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a windows live ID that is used for my xbox live and zune. But I have a different ID for hotmail.

Can these two different ID's play nice on WP7?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
some what , you CANT have 2 gamer tags doh..

go to xbox live hub and log in with your Xbox lvie ID (the one linked to gamer tag )

then simply ADD a e-mail for your second one , so that way you get the e-mails.( in the e-mail hub , or setings )

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
That is how I have mine set up. I have a Windows Live ID linked to my Gamer tag TEXASERIALKILER and I have a Live ID with all my contacts emails and calendar in it. Here is the catch you have to set up your phone with your Gamer tag live ID so everything works in the Marketplace, then use your other live ID and set it up as an outlook account. You can chose what you sync from each account for example I get emails from my Gamer Live ID but that is all I sync with my phone from that account. On my other account my outlook account I sync everything Calendar, Contacts, Email, ToDo everything. Bad thing is all me SkyDrive stuff will sync with my Gamer Live ID but that is the only drawback I have found so far.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
So far I have not found a limit to the number of Live/Hotmail/MSN accounts that can be synced with the device. I have two of my own, the family account, my wife's, and both of my daughter's. The wife's and daughter's I use only for syncing calendars because pre Mango does not support multiple Live calendars within a single account, but will easily show them from several accounts. I originate our different calendars from one of my accounts, share them with other accounts, and then sync them with the phone. It's alot easier to do than it sounds.

I use email from other providers, but Windows Live is continuing to impress me, and I soon will have no need for the other accounts, besides my work's Outlook account.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
The one thing that really bugs me about hotmail, no IMAP. So periodically I have to log into the site to cleanup my email.

Hmm. I guess I don't really know the difference in technologies. Yahoo! uses IMAP, right? I've always wondered about the differences.
I have my Live Hotmail accounts set up to sync all email, not the default 2 weeks (I think). I do wish it would sync the draft folder for a longer period of time though. Is this one of the differences?

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
IMAP just means the web site and the device are in sync. If you delete an email on your phone it also deletes on the website.
Gmail has it. Hotmail doesn't. So I have the same hotmail account on many devices. If I delete it on one device it's gone on that device. But the message still exists on all my other devices and I have to delete on their too. And then I have to delete it on the actual hotmail website for the message to be really gone.

With gmail if I delete a message on one of my devices that message is gone on all devices and the website.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
IMAP just means the web site and the device are in sync. If you delete an email on your phone it also deletes on the website.
Gmail has it. Hotmail doesn't. So I have the same hotmail account on many devices. If I delete it on one device it's gone on that device. But the message still exists on all my other devices and I have to delete on their too. And then I have to delete it on the actual hotmail website for the message to be really gone.

With gmail if I delete a message on one of my devices that message is gone on all devices and the website.

Could you clarify a bit?

If I delete an email on my phone it also deletes from the site and vice versa.

It seems like the only thing that doesn't sync are the deleted folders.

Last edited:

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Could you clarify a bit?

If I delete an email on my phone it also deletes from the site and vice versa.

It seems like the only thing that doesn't sync are the deleted folders.

Hotmail doesn't support IMAP which would allow this on all devices. For me it doesn't delete from any other device or the site.
It syncs folders and emails with devices so they will all have the same email but a delete command only removes it from that particular device you deleted it from.

This could be different on windows phones that may have a different level of interface with hotmail but I can tell you that ios or android devices don't work this way. Nor other email clients on the desktop such as OSX mail or thunderbird.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hotmail doesn't support IMAP which would allow this on all devices. For me it doesn't delete from any other device or the site.
It syncs folders and emails with devices so they will all have the same email but a delete command only removes it from that particular device you deleted it from.

This could be different on windows phones that may have a different level of interface with hotmail but I can tell you that ios or android devices don't work this way. Nor other email clients on the desktop such as OSX mail or thunderbird.

Hmm... seems like my email deletes from the phone and site. I have my email sync set to 7 days so some of my older stuff didn't delete. What phone do you have?

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... seems like my email deletes from the phone and site. I have my email sync set to 7 days so some of my older stuff didn't delete. What phone do you have?

I don't have a phone(still deciding what to buy). I have an ipod touch and an ipad. I also use mail on the mac. My wife has an iphone 4 and some friends have androids. None of us have been able to get mail from a hotmail accounted deleted on one device to sync that delete to other devices or the website.
Works fine with gmail.

If you delete mail on the hotmail website then it does delete them on the devices. Seems to be just a one way sync from the site to the devices. Which is normal for POP3 accounts which is what hotmail supports. Apparently hotmail did support imap before a pop3 conversion some years ago.

I'm thinking it's different for windows phones just because it's microsoft so they have some unique functionality.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a phone. I have an ipod touch and an ipad. I also use mail on the mac. My wife has an iphone 4 and some friends have androids. None of us have been able to get mail from a hotmail accounted deleted on one device to sync that delete to other devices or the website.
Works fine with gmail.

If you delete mail on the hotmail website then it does delete them on the devices. Seems to be just a one way sync from the site to the devices. Which is normal for POP3 accounts which is what hotmail supports.

I'm thinking it's different for windows phones just because it's microsoft so they have some unique functionality.

Ah, I see. I thought we were talking about WP7 devices. I have a Mac but I haven't set it up yet. I'll test it out when I get a chance and see how it's different from using WP7.

tbasallo

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hotmail = "Baby Exchange"

Hotmail supports "baby Exchange" - my term - which is a thousand times better than IMAP.

Just use m.hotmail.com as an ActiveSync / Exchange and you'll get complete sync for calendars, contacts and email on iOS and of course, WP7 - which add all the other sugar.

Enjoy.

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Hotmail supports "baby Exchange" - my term - which is a thousand times better than IMAP.

Just use m.hotmail.com as an ActiveSync / Exchange and you'll get complete sync for calendars, contacts and email on iOS and of course, WP7 - which add all the other sugar.

Enjoy.

I'm curious, how is it better?

tbasallo

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious, how is it better?

It's Exchange! It's the nearly the same service as Hosted Exchange ($6/person), Google Business Apps ($10/person), BlackBerry Enterprise Server ($10+/person - minimum 25 people).

It hosts all your email in the cloud (Hotmail) it synchronizes your calendars (as many as you have), your contacts and your email with your Hotmail account. It does this across every device (iOS, Android, WP5+), website and the desktop (Outlook or Live Mail). And it's free.

It's like Me (Mac) or iCloud for free - I think they charge $99.

Everyone should use it. My wide lost her iPhone. She got a new one and all her contacts were available within a few minutes - that alone makes it worth it. My son just got a new phone (Focus) and will spend a few hours transferring his contacts from the iPhone (he didn't use Live) to his new phone.

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
It's Exchange! It's the nearly the same service as Hosted Exchange ($6/person), Google Business Apps ($10/person), BlackBerry Enterprise Server ($10+/person - minimum 25 people).

It hosts all your email in the cloud (Hotmail) it synchronizes your calendars (as many as you have), your contacts and your email with your Hotmail account. It does this across every device (iOS, Android, WP5+), website and the desktop (Outlook or Live Mail). And it's free.

It's like Me (Mac) or iCloud for free - I think they charge $99.

Everyone should use it. My wide lost her iPhone. She got a new one and all her contacts were available within a few minutes - that alone makes it worth it. My son just got a new phone (Focus) and will spend a few hours transferring his contacts from the iPhone (he didn't use Live) to his new phone.

Well yeah, but you can do that with google services as well. I'm curious why it's better than google services but it seems the same. Contacts, calendar, email, documents, etc. It all syncs automatically to anything i've used so far. ios, android, mac and windows. outlook, thunderbird, etc.
Though OSX still lacks support for exchange services via the hotmail site. It should work in a corporate setting.

Also, icloud will be free.

Last edited:

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Well yeah, but you can do that with google services as well. I'm curious why it's better than google services but it seems the same. Contacts, calendar, email, documents, etc. It all syncs automatically to anything i've used so far. ios, android, mac and windows. outlook, thunderbird, etc.
Though OSX still lacks support for exchange email so hotmail doesn't work quite correctly there.

If your current setup of Hotmail is not working like IMAP it is likely because you set it up as POP. I did this when I first added my second Hotmail account to my phone and I had the same complaints as you. If you remove the account and add it back as a Windows Live account. You don't need to specify Exchange or anything like that. Once it is done it will all stay in sync. Yes, this is effectively the same way Gmail works. Your calendar, contacts, read/unread status etc. will all be updated real time on your phone, online and on Windows Live mail if you use that on your desktop.

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
If your current setup of Hotmail is not working like IMAP it is likely because you set it up as POP. I did this when I first added my second Hotmail account to my phone and I had the same complaints as you. If you remove the account and add it back as a Windows Live account. You don't need to specify Exchange or anything like that. Once it is done it will all stay in sync. Yes, this is effectively the same way Gmail works. Your calendar, contacts, read/unread status etc. will all be updated real time on your phone, online and on Windows Live mail if you use that on your desktop.

I'm not talking about a phone. I'm talking about mac OSX. The desktop OS. Exchange doesn't even work in Outlook 2011 on mac. In fact I can't even get the pop3 account to work in outlook. I did however get the pop3 account to work in OSX mail.

This is what I found via my searches on the apple forums:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2563203?start=0&tstart=0

"Microsoft has only enabled Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) on their Hotmail servers. This supports only mobile devices.

To enable you to connect Apple Mail or Microsoft Entourage, Microsoft will need to enable Exchange Web Services on their Hotmail servers. They have not done this and they have made no announcement that they will do this."

This software will add support to the mac: Fluent Factory: mBox Mail for Mac

Exchange services do seem to work in windows live mail from within windows and I would assume outlook in windows as well.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans