Thinking of switching to WP7; question regarding upcoming possible apps

Candide yams

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm interested in switching over to WP7 once my contract ends in the spring. Currently an Android (rooted) user and each time I read about WP7 or play with it at the Microsoft store, I get more excited. I'm definitely a visual person so all the words and fonts and way information is displayed speak to me. Anyway, I have a question regarding the possibility of future apps. I heard that one of the reasons why WP7 doesn't have a lot of the different chat clients (trillian, meebo, google voice, etc.) is because those particular APIs aren't available on current builds but since mango is making most if not all APIs available to developers does that mean we could potentially see these apps come to WP7? or have people heard otherwise as to why these app may not/will not come to the platform?

Obviously these apps aren't not going to stop me from a potential switch to WP7, but since I'm not a developer I don't know how these APIs factor into some of the more popular apps coming to WP7.

v3rn

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
There are chat clients already available on the current release version of Windows Phone. IM+ is probably the best of the bunch and has protocols for Facebook, Skype, Yahoo, GTalk, AIM, Jabber, ICQ, and Myspace.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a big chat person, but using mango has been awesome, I can seamlessly switch my msging mode from Facebook and SMS. I see a lot of people use kik messenger. I believe it encrypts the msgs so it's safer on a public WiFi.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using WP7!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yes, the API's needed for chat programs like you mention will be available in Mango. So its just a question if devs will jump in now or later but they can if they want to.

Candide yams

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't IM+ cost $10 though? It would seem that if trillian or meebo made the transition to WP7 they'd ideally be free. I imagine that with skype integration coming forth there may not be a need for google voice. I currently use Kik and am glad to see that there is already a WP7 version available.

v3rn

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
IM+ has a free ad supported version as well. But it shows that it is possible to have these apps, but developer support for WP7 is pretty lacking right now.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I heard that one of the reasons why WP7 doesn't have a lot of the different chat clients (trillian, meebo, google voice, etc.) is because those particular APIs aren't available on current builds but since mango is making most if not all APIs available to developers does that mean we could potentially see these apps come to WP7? or have people heard otherwise as to why these app may not/will not come to the platform?

Obviously these apps aren't not going to stop me from a potential switch to WP7, but since I'm not a developer I don't know how these APIs factor into some of the more popular apps coming to WP7.
Pre-Mango apps can't open sockets so they basically have to use port 80 for everything. This is likely unacceptable to the developers of those apps you mentioned. The addition of sockets should allow those developers to do what they want, so if they're not making a version for WP then it's for other reasons and you should let them know you want their app on Windows Phone ;)

Candide yams

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Pre-Mango apps can't open sockets so they basically have to use port 80 for everything. This is likely unacceptable to the developers of those apps you mentioned. The addition of sockets should allow those developers to do what they want, so if they're not making a version for WP then it's for other reasons and you should let them know you want their app on Windows Phone ;)

Thanks thed! Fingers crossed!

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think you'll enjoy WP7. It's not as customizable as Android, but it's fast and pretty. Plus Zune and Xbox Live is a big win for me.

Edit: Oh and Netflix!