Why was I cheap *** on Android and a baller on WP?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The years I've spent with Android, not once did I pay for apps. If it didn't have a free version, then it was on to the next one. Even at $0.99, I thought devs were crazy if they thought I would dish out my hard earned cash.

Fast forward, a year spent with WP. Currently, I have a couple dozen games loaded on my phone. Half of those I've paid for at prices ranging from $2.99 - $6.99. I also have a few tools like flashlight, bill trackers, parcel trackers, etc that I've gladly paid for to remove the ads.

I'm not going to lie. In the beginning, I was one of those people who complained about apps costing more than $0.99, even if I, ironically, have never bought an app before.

What makes WP so different? Is it the culture? Somehow, I feel more supportive when it comes to devs who make really good, useful and stable apps. I also feel the need to reward or give back to active and supportive devs who return emails and constantly update apps. Why I didn't feel this way when I was on Android, is beyond me. Why the change of heart? I really don't know.

Are you the same way?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
In my 3.5 years with iOS I bought 2 apps. Airvideo and the Oregon trail (not sure why). I bought a couple books too.

If a media sharing app that works well comes along for windows phone, I will gladly purchase it.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm the same way, except I came over from Symbian. I never paid for an app in the Ovi Store. Now I easily pay $3 to $5 a month (broke student here) to get apps and games that really deserve it and whenever I want to remove ads.

I totally understand you.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
With WP7 being the underdog and app development being so crucial to the viability of the platform, it stands to reason that people will make an extra effort to keep it alive.

I buy apps regardless of the platform, but for similar reasons. I will get the paid version of an app to support the developers. Plus, I feel that if a dev is making money legitimately, he won't have to resort to underhanded tactics that may wind up hurting me.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I also came over from Symbian. I paid for a couple of Symbian apps (favorite one was Gravity, the Twitter client), and have paid for a few Windows Phone apps. Still, I am careful because I have paid for apps that I end up getting bored with, so I like to use the trial versions as much as I can before paying for an app. I still don't think I'll go more than $2.99 (an exception would be the Garmin app if I end up getting it).

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
With WP7 being the underdog and app development being so crucial to the viability of the platform, it stands to reason that people will make an extra effort to keep it alive.

Perhaps. But I don't recall making an extra effort the first 2 years of Android, when sales were dismal and hardly anyone else knew what Android was, let alone know it was made by Google.

Maybe it was because, it was a mess and always crashed/froze on me? Maybe it was because I knew Google was all about advertising? Maybe it was because it's a free platform and everything about it should be free, including the apps? When I look at WP, I see it as polished and smooth all through the OS. If I open an app and see ads, it almost seems out of place. It annoys me. I want to get rid of it. It deviates from polished experience.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I also came over from Symbian. I paid for a couple of Symbian apps (favorite one was Gravity, the Twitter client), and have paid for a few Windows Phone apps. Still, I am careful because I have paid for apps that I end up getting bored with, so I like to use the trial versions as much as I can before paying for an app. I still don't think I'll go more than $2.99 (an exception would be the Garmin app if I end up getting it).

I agree. I think $2.99 would be my max too. I think I bought one game above that - Harvest $6.99. I feel like I overpaid and will probably never pay that much again for another game. But if MS gets real-time and/or turn based gaming between xbox and WP going, I might pay a little more for that service. I don't know yet.

And yes, having a trial version is great.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I think $2.99 would be my max too. I think I bought one game above that - Harvest $6.99. I feel like I overpaid and will probably never pay that much again for another game. But if MS gets real-time and/or turn based gaming between xbox and WP going, I might pay a little more for that service. I don't know yet.
You know what would be great? If they provided additional value for being an Xbox Live Gold member on the Windows Phone side of things. I sometimes feel my XBL membership is kind of a waste because I don't play online multiplayer. The other XBL services (to watch Netflix, really?) don't quite make up for it either.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
You know what would be great? If they provided additional value for being an Xbox Live Gold member on the Windows Phone side of things. I sometimes feel my XBL membership is kind of a waste because I don't play online multiplayer. The other XBL services (to watch Netflix, really?) don't quite make up for it either.

The more I think about it the more I agree. So I try not think about it. LOL. I just got my Xbox, so I want to enjoy it first before I start complaining.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm going to be honest, I was cheap before (android, WebOS) and I'm cheap now* - There has to be a really good reason for me to buy apps and then I'm really really cheap on what I'll pay - the only app I've bought for WP7 is Boards express. Everything else is either free or I'll use the web. $10 for a train-time app? No chance.

* And I only swapped to WP7 because the phone cost me nothing, if it did, I would have stuck to my ?80 cheapo ZTE Blade.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I never used IOS or Android but I do know what you mean when talking about developers answering questions, I have paid for many apps and some free and when I have a problem Paid or free I have send a email to the developer and within hrs and I mean hours they respond and apreaciate the feedback good or bad, and I have always recived an answer to the fix .. I really enjoy that .

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it's not necessarily the WP culture. I think it's more about Android having a "free" culture.

With the OS itself being free, and enthusiasts knowing it, the mindset is that something valuable should be offered for free. Especially early on.

Also, with such a large rooting culture, there is rampant piracy.

That results in a lot of apps and games that get poor support. Which makes customers less likely to pay for future games. Which causes devs to not support what they make. It's a vicious cycle.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think it's not necessarily the WP culture. I think it's more about Android having a "free" culture.

With the OS itself being free, and enthusiasts knowing it, the mindset is that something valuable should be offered for free. Especially early on.

Also, with such a large rooting culture, there is rampant piracy.

That results in a lot of apps and games that get poor support. Which makes customers less likely to pay for future games. Which causes devs to not support what they make. It's a vicious cycle.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I am beginning to see how that would be the case.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Funny part about ads is they are intended to bring money to the advertiser but actually and up bringing money to the app creator because they are so annoying.

DrKofi

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have bought a good amount of apps too. I have a handful of games and apps that I constantly use. I don't mind paying that extra dollar since I know I am helping the developers into making their app better and to keep working on it. When I don't pay for an app I don't feel like I'm helping the developer that made it as much with just looking at them ads.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I have bought a good amount of apps too. I have a handful of games and apps that I constantly use. I don't mind paying that extra dollar since I know I am helping the developers into making their app better and to keep working on it. When I don't pay for an app I don't feel like I'm helping the developer that made it as much with just looking at them ads.

Actually, just looking at them ads don't even make devs money. I think you actually have to click on them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes