Which other mobile OS did you use before migrating to (or adding) Windows Phone OS?

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
With all the threads on here of people talking about their past mobile OS experiences and comparing them to the WP OS, and also people on other mobile OS asking about WP OS before making the jump, I figured it would be interesting and informative to set up a poll in which WP users could indicate which mobile OS they used before coming to (or in some cases, like me, adding) the Windows Phone OS. You can provide comments about your likes/dislikes or perceived strengths/weaknesses of WP OS relative to your original/other "native" mobile OS, but those aren't necessary. I just want to get a sense of where everybody "came from" when they joined the Windows Phone tribe.

Incidentally, with me personally, I came from (and still use) Android OS. However, despite a few minor weaknesses, I'm finding that after owning a WP OS smartphone (HTC Trophy) for about 2 weeks that I really prefer the Windows Phone OS. I can't wait until some key apps (Pandora, NFL Mobile, free version of MLB At-Bat) and some higher end WP smartphones on Verizon start coming out!

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
My past OS's include Palm OS (Treo 755p not webOS), Blackberry OS 4 or 5 (don't remember which), Sidekick OS (that was smartphone-ish), Windows Mobile (version previous to 6.5), Android (original Droid, MyTouch 4G), and currently Windows Phone (Titan) and iOS (iPod Touch and wife's iPad)

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
PalmOS is missing from the list...

I, too, have used them all...even had my sim in a Symbian for a few hours a couple of times...

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
My first smartphone was android. I got my wife an iPhone when it was released on Verizon, and I took a chance on the HTC trophy when I was eligible for an upgrade.

Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
My route was iPhone 3G > iPhone 4 > Sony Ericsson X10 mini >Palm Pre 2 > HTC Mozart > Lumia 800

I still use iOS pretty much every day as I have an iPad and my one and only reason for selling my iPhone 4 was cost (as in it was worth a lot of money and I couldn't justify owning it when other similarly capable smartphones were much cheaper), but I'd never use Android again. The experience on the X10 mini was horrible. I'd probably have considered Palm again, but I just didn't like the hardware on the Pre 2.

Now I have the Lumia I'm happy for now because it's a great phone with a great OS, but whether I stick with Windows Phone will depend on three things: what MS do with regard to WP8, how upgradeable the Lumia is to whatever follows WP7, and what the iPhone 5 is like.

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
My first smart phone was a Blackberry World Edition 8830 then I went and got the droid 1 when it came out. Then when that got out of hand I got a palm pre 2. Now I jumped again to WP7 and I must admit I love it.

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I still have a BB on Vzw and testing an HTC Trophy. Will be upgrading to whatever new WP phone is announced on Vzw after CES.

nomoore

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
BB -> Symbian^3 -> Android 2.3 -> WP7.5

My first mobile OS was BlackBerry 4.5. Then my wife got a Symbian^3 phone. She loves it but curses it occasionally. I hate it. It feels archaic, kinda like when I have to work on OS/2 warp. Then I got an Android Gingerbread Tablet and decided it is too unstable to have it on my phone. When it was time for me to upgrade my BB a few weeks ago it was either stick with BB or try WP7 (no iPhone on T-Mobile).

I am normally a MS hater but I read and YouTubed so much good stuff about WP7 I decided to give it a chance. I hunted down a store that had a Radar 4G so I could try it out some. I immediately fell in love. So I bought one.

I recently played with a co-worker's iPhone and boy am I glad I have a Mango instead of an Apple. iOS is sooooooo boring. It's amazing that iOS is so popular considering how boring it looks. You unlock your phone and all that's there is a slab of icons. No widgets, live-tiles, or anything else. Just plain, old fashioned icons. It's so bland. My BB had a better home screen. At least it could show me calendar stuff at a glance.

marcojavier

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Symbian S60 -> BB OS 6 -> WP 7.5

BlackBerry sucks.. had it for all of 7 months before the bugs annoyed me too much. Couldn't get rid of it any quicker!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes