Maps - what direction am I facing?!

Andrew Griffiths

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to instantly see what direction I'm facing in the Maps app (or a non official one even?)

On iOS you used to tap the locator twice and it would rotate the map - want something like this...

Thanks

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
In Symbian version you tap the compass icon down left corner. That activates the compass mode. If there is no icon in wp version, then I can't answer to your question.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
In the settings menu for Bing Maps there's an option to auto rotate with your direction but I think that only works if you're on a plotted course. I'm not sure if there are any apps that will do what you're looking for.

Andrew Griffiths

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
In the settings menu for Bing Maps there's an option to auto rotate with your direction but I think that only works if you're on a plotted course. I'm not sure if there are any apps that will do what you're looking for.

Yeah, tried that, but it's not ideal... seems a bit of an oversight really!

TBH, i dont think much of the maps app at all - i put in a place and it takes me somewhere miles away... not even an obscure place either!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You can set Maps to always face North. Is that not a way to see what direction you are facing?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Andrew Griffiths

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
No, because when I come out of a tube station, i often dont know which direction i need to be walking in, even if i know where i need to end up.

On iOS, you put in the destination and tap the locate me button twice and you instantly can tell which way to walk. Windows phone you need to start walking before you can see whether the dot is moving in the right direction or not (which used to be the case in older iOS iterations...)

Andrew Griffiths

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I've tried gmaps, but similarly it only seems to show direction after you move for a bit... is there any way to force it to rotate to match the phone direction?

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to instantly see what direction I'm facing in the Maps app (or a non official one even?)

On iOS you used to tap the locator twice and it would rotate the map - want something like this...

Thanks

When you are looking at just the map it always faces north. When you get directions and start navigating the compass turns on and the maps orient to the direction you are traveling. I don't see a setting to always have it orient the way you are facing. In the settings there is the option to orient for directions, which is all I see.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
No, because when I come out of a tube station, i often dont know which direction i need to be walking in, even if i know where i need to end up.

On iOS, you put in the destination and tap the locate me button twice and you instantly can tell which way to walk. Windows phone you need to start walking before you can see whether the dot is moving in the right direction or not (which used to be the case in older iOS iterations...)

Well, personally I don't have a great need for my phone to tell me what direction I'm facing but, I suppose it could be helpful to others at times so, I agree that it would be nice to have it available more than just when using the turn by turn directions.

The example you give here is definitely a case where it could be helpful. I remember coming up out of a tube station on more than a few occasions and having to spend a moment or two re-orienting myself to the surface world so I could figure out what direction I should be heading to get where I needed to go next. Not a daily problem for me though so I hadn't really noticed the lack of this until you pointed it out.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
You need an app that uses the compass. Unfortunately I find the compass always needs to be calibrated and you ended up looking like a doofus waving your phone around to do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon