Any Dr. Frankensteins Out There?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Anybody who's been on webOS already knows where I'm going with this. For the uninitiated, here goes. I am now on my fourth WP7 device because, (1) I have a disease worse than gambling and (2) no phone really fills my hardware needs. I started with the DVP because of the great screen and the portrait keyboard to ease me away from webOS and my Pre3. Next came the Focus because I really need tethering (USB is not always an option). After that came the Omnia7 because the Focus feels cheap and plasticky (lol, that's on another thread). Now I'm on the Quantum because it gives me everything I need with USB & wi-fi tethering, a physical keyboard and it's the easiest to unlock with the MFG app.

Now here's my dilemma. Did I mention that I started with the DVP because of the screen? Lo and behold, the Quantum has the smallest screen out there. Is it even remotely possible to create a Franken-style device with WP7 the way we could with the Pre? I need a physical keyboard, that's requirement number 1, which limits the surgery to the Dell for the purpose of this exercise 'cause I like the 4.1" AMOLED screen a lot. I could care less about storage or audio quality. I listen to my LP's on a Pioneer component system from my college days in the early 80's that'll kill anything out there today. For you young kids, an LP looks like a really big CD.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I am not familiar with the Pre Frankenstein device.

Are you trying to get the DVP on a different carrier? Or put the LG board into the DVP?

Sorry, I am confused. Could you explain a little more about the Pre Frankenstein device.

Thanks!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I am not familiar with the Pre Frankenstein device.

Are you trying to get the DVP on a different carrier? Or put the LG board into the DVP?

Sorry, I am confused. Could you explain a little more about the Pre Frankenstein device.

Thanks!
It's a little bit of both. The Sprint Pre lacked functions that you got from VZW or AT&T (wi-fi being the most coveted) so Rod Whitby of webos-internals took the comm board from a VZW Pre+ and created a "Franken Pre" for Sprint with all the functionality of a VZW Pre+. Well, that was the idea since OTA updates were not available and you were required to metadoctor the files for updating, running scripts, etc. Check out the sister board WebOS Nation and search "Franken Pre". I'd never heard of anything similar on any other OS or phone so it's ok if you're not familiar. You gotta be hard-core webOS to know what this project is/was.

Basically, I'd like to get the proper 4329 wi-fi chip onto a DVP along with the software support as well as a MFG-esque app for unlocking and reg editing. A FrankenVenue if you will.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that clarification on the Pre Frankenstein device.

I was still running Palm Treo's when the Pre came out. I do remember a guy getting a first generation Pre from Sprint running on Verizon.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
As a fellow clinically-diagnosed webOS junkie, I know exactly what you mean by Frankensteining a device. I've not heard of that on any WP7 device yet. Why not give it a go?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As a fellow clinically-diagnosed webOS junkie, I know exactly what you mean by Frankensteining a device. I've not heard of that on any WP7 device yet. Why not give it a go?
Care to volunteer the wifey's phone? What's that you say? You'll be sleeping on the porch? LOL. I wish I had the technical skills to pull this off but even if I did, the only DVP in my house also belongs to the mrs. In other words, it ain't happening. :mad:

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Care to volunteer the wifey's phone? What's that you say? You'll be sleeping on the porch? LOL. I wish I had the technical skills to pull this off but even if I did, the only DVP in my house also belongs to the mrs. In other words, it ain't happening. :mad:

Hahaha! I know exactly what you mean. Why not find some cheap WP7 device off eBay and get to tinkering?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon