Why no wifi in standby?

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm a bit peeved that wifi turns off while in standby. I haven't had that happen on my Android devices. Why is that? It sucks because if you are downloading or streaming something and your phone goes into standby, it will switch over to data connection and use more resources. Any way to disable that and leave wifi on while in standby?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm a bit peeved that wifi turns off while in standby. I haven't had that happen on my Android devices. Why is that? It sucks because if you are downloading or streaming something and your phone goes into standby, it will switch over to data connection and use more resources. Any way to disable that and leave wifi on while in standby?

This was a design to help save on the battery...but there was a recent post/tweet from Joe stating this is going to be adjusted in a future update.

http://www.windowscentral.com/comment/223456

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link. I sure hope it's coming soon. I really don't understand the logic behind it. Definitely not a power saver.

gfunk84

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
If you're downloading or streaming something, it keeps the WiFi connection active. It only turns it off if it's not being actively used.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
If you're downloading or streaming something, it keeps the WiFi connection active. It only turns it off if it's not being actively used.

Right. The issue is though, with WP we have cool Live Tiles that update Weather, Email, News and so on. For these to update it takes data. So, instead of wasting data from a plan while the phone is locked, it should use the wifi network. Since it has shown not to effect the battery, if I am in range of my wifi network it should never disconnect from it, unless I manually do it myself.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Right. The issue is though, with WP we have cool Live Tiles that update Weather, Email, News and so on. For these to update it takes data. So, instead of wasting data from a plan while the phone is locked, it should use the wifi network. Since it has shown not to effect the battery, if I am in range of my wifi network it should never disconnect from it, unless I manually do it myself.

Which is why the update's coming. ;)

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site

That is not true in my experience. I was downloading a 80Mb file (additional keyboard language) and it paused the downloading when my Lumia 920 went into standby.

kiteless

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
On my Verizon Trophy I chewed up a bunch of data because I was streaming Digitally Imported with "Beem". It was plugged into an AC adaptor and listening with speakers plugged into the headphone jack. I was working most of the day and enjoying the music, at the end of the day (no calls) my phone was quite warm. I was worried I was running the cell radio. I checked my data usage the next day and I had chowed hundreds and hundreds of megs of shared data! My WiFi was on, but I think it powered off when the screen shut off. No interruption if music at all though. I guess Beem is smart enough to resume on a different connection and the buffer never ran out. I'm hoping Windows Phone 8 will be smarter than this and am VERY MUCH looking forward to WiFi on Standby. I found that on my previous Android phone, I got WAY MORE battery life at home where my signal is weak if I had WiFi on, as all the data went through WiFi. My 2 cents.

- J

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
why did it take microsoft so long to release an OS with barely any improvements?
And I understand that the entire architecture is completely transformed, but still it's the end result that counts. and so far, that is leaving a lot to be desired.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12