05-27-2013 03:18 AM
112 12345
tools
    No issues with Live Tiles on either of our two L920s in the two weeks we have had them!
    11-23-2012 03:13 PM
    There are two servers for Live Tiles.

The first is an actual Live Tile server, which requires the app developer to push actual live data to the server, which uses the Microsoft LT protocol to push updates to your phone in real time.

The second is a half-hour non-push server.

Many developers opt for the latter, because it's cheaper for their infrastructure to put out updates every half hour rather than real time through Microsoft's servers. Most apps that have Live Tiles and a "free/pay" version differentiate their pay version from their free version by having the pay version use the "real time" server (and put the cash towards infrastructure).

And, of course, there are poorly-coded apps (or lazy developers) who won't allow their apps to update in real time.

Finally, if your phone is in "battery save" mode, it will stop all push services including e-mail and Live Tiles. I knew one of my neighbors was *****ing about his Titan 2 "not having live tiles and getting e-mail." Turns out that he always ran it in "battery save" mode.
    -Scienide- and mpelti like this.
    11-23-2012 03:15 PM

The first is an actual Live Tile server, which requires the app developer to push actual live data to the server, which uses the Microsoft LT protocol to push updates to your phone in real time.

Many developers opt for the latter, because it's cheaper for their infrastructure to put out updates every half hour rather than real time through Microsoft's servers. Most apps that have Live Tiles and a "free/pay" version differentiate their pay version from their free version by having the pay version use the "real time" server (and put the cash towards infrastructure).

And, of course, there are poorly-coded apps (or lazy developers) who won't allow their apps to update in real time.

Finally, if your phone is in "battery save" mode, it will stop all push services including e-mail and Live Tiles. I knew one of my neighbors was *****ing about his Titan 2 "not having live tiles and getting e-mail." Turns out that he always ran it in "battery save" mode.
    Great post! I had no idea about the two options for pushing data. I'll keep that in mind when I'm thinking about paying for an app or not.
    11-23-2012 03:20 PM
    There was also a forty-app limit for Live Tiles on Windows Phone 7.5. I am not sure if that limit persists with WP8.
    11-23-2012 03:21 PM
    I still can't see how the **** Microsoft can have tiles that push live data to your phone everytime you unlock it and that not drain the battery like crazy. How does the ESPN app work then? You actually get full, live updates during games? Is that how its supposed to be?
    The point of push is that it updates when it needs to. When it comes to sports, some have very few updates. For example, in Soccer or Hockey, there can be long gaps between scoring plays, and the only thing that might get updated is the time remaining. In Football, Basketball, or Baseball, there can be a scoreboard update every 30 seconds. So for a live tile, they might be able to "cheat" by just having it load the most recent update from the server when the tile comes on screen, but if someone is on the home screen, it would need a push, and ESPN also supposedly supports toast notifications, where it might alert you that the score has changed, which has to be timely. It's not so much that it doesn't increase battery usage, but it's actually less data than an email, so it shouldn't hit the phone any harder than a very active email account.

Very informative. I'd like to think that ESPN would spring for the true push server.
    -Scienide- likes this.
    11-23-2012 03:30 PM
    It's not so much that it doesn't increase battery usage, but it's actually less data than an email, so it shouldn't hit the phone any harder than a very active email account.
    Ok, I'm with you now. I was under the impression that it was more intensive on the battery. I see where you're coming from now. It should work then. Judging by brmiller1976's post it seems to be a developer issue then, rather than a Microsoft one, no?
    11-23-2012 03:48 PM
    Ok, I'm with you now. I was under the impression that it was more intensive on the battery. I see where you're coming from now. It should work then. Judging by brmiller1976's post it seems to be a developer issue then, rather than a Microsoft one, no?
    Yeah. It's kind of the classic microsoft dilemna, for a new generation of phones, catching the flak for problems that are really caused by third parties.. Part of why the original iphone was so much better than contemporary smartphones was that they had much stricter app requirements, and limits, to prevent people from getting a bad impression of the phone. WP8 seems better than Android so far in this regard, but many third party apps need a ton of work, both for stability and functionality. That's where the "ecosystem" argument comes in, where WP8 has a long way to go to be competitive.
    -Scienide- likes this.
    11-23-2012 03:58 PM
    Yeah. It's kind of the classic microsoft dilemna, for a new generation of phones, catching the flak for problems that are really caused by third parties.. Part of why the original iphone was so much better than contemporary smartphones was that they had much stricter app requirements, and limits, to prevent people from getting a bad impression of the phone. WP8 seems better than Android so far in this regard, but many third party apps need a ton of work, both for stability and functionality. That's where the "ecosystem" argument comes in, where WP8 has a long way to go to be competitive.
    Exactly. This is the most important time I think. Any time between now and the next 4 weeks or so is when I would expect to see a surge of new apps from new and old developers. So far I've seen a very steady trickle but not the big push I was hoping for. Its very early days though. I really hope to see some killer apps start to appear soon.
    11-23-2012 04:02 PM
    Microsoft could fix the problem by mandating push as part of the Live Tile system, but that would tick off developers who don't have enough resources to support push.

(BTW, Rowi is an example of a high profile app where the "free" version doesn't support real-time Live Tiles but the paid version does.)
    11-23-2012 04:04 PM
    (BTW, Rowi is an example of a high profile app where the "free" version doesn't support real-time Live Tiles but the paid version does.)
    Rowi seems to be having a terrible time with the app submission process at the moment. 3 times they have submitted their WP8 version of the app. Twice its been rejected so far. I've been waiting for about 3 weeks now :(
    11-23-2012 04:07 PM
    Microsoft could fix the problem by mandating push as part of the Live Tile system, but that would tick off developers who don't have enough resources to support push.

Use the carrot, not the stick. Don't "mandate" push, but create a badge or category in the store that certifies the app to use live tiles. Considering that in mobile app stores having a high profile is everything, developers would jump at the chance to lift their product above the unwashed masses.
    SDwhite1 likes this.
    11-23-2012 04:35 PM
    Great idea!
    11-23-2012 05:13 PM
    The only two ones that give me problem is, ESPN Doesn't update at all, the Weather Channel works only certain times. CNN and Engadget work flawlessly...Any know how to fix the weather channel? It shows daylight when it should be night.
    Last edited by Anubis9; 11-24-2012 at 09:24 AM.
    11-23-2012 05:54 PM
    To be fair I have a tile for my partner and it's been showing me the same status update on the live tile for the past 2 days, despite him regularly posting to Twitter and Facebook. It updates AFTER I click on him and view through what's new, but doesn't ever seem to update by itself, so what's the point? Wasn't sure if it was meant to be like this but that doesn't make much sense...

P.S. Click the link in my sig to read my blog if you think I'm an iTroll :D
    brmiller1976 likes this.
    11-23-2012 06:30 PM
    My ESPN live tile finally came live today for a college football game. It worked well too, updating after every score.
    11-24-2012 12:41 AM
    To be fair I have a tile for my partner and it's been showing me the same status update on the live tile for the past 2 days, despite him regularly posting to Twitter and Facebook. It updates AFTER I click on him and view through what's new, but doesn't ever seem to update by itself, so what's the point? Wasn't sure if it was meant to be like this but that doesn't make much sense...

P.S. Click the link in my sig to read my blog if you think I'm an iTroll :D
    Nope, it shouldn't be like that. I have two Live tiles set up for my sisters and every time they post a status update to facebook it comes through on my tiles. If they havent posted for so many hours then it just shows the picture and no status message. It works fine for me. Not sure why its not working for you, weird isn't it?
    11-24-2012 03:31 PM
    My ESPN live tile finally came live today for a college football game. It worked well too, updating after every score.
    Was it ESPN or ESPN ScoreCenter?
    11-24-2012 03:42 PM
    Was it ESPN or ESPN ScoreCenter?
    Scorecenter. The Non-Nokia exclusive version.
    Tahiti Bob likes this.
    11-24-2012 04:03 PM
    Well said Joelist
    11-24-2012 04:06 PM
    I have problems with pretty much all of my Live tiles. I have 8 pinned contacts. Only 2 of them show any data. Weather and Calendar seem to work. Everything else I've made small because they just don't show anything.
    11-24-2012 05:51 PM
    espn tile updates immediately for me-almost no delay for live scoring in ncaa football today. Same with "top story" on CNN tile.
    11-24-2012 09:36 PM
    Keep in mind some apps need the tile to be in the wide setting to have its live tile work right
    11-24-2012 09:36 PM
    espn tile updates immediately for me-almost no delay for live scoring in ncaa football today. Same with "top story" on CNN tile.
    CNN works for me, its just ESPN doesn't I D.L score center to see if tit works, Engadget works as well.
    11-24-2012 11:08 PM
    There is a major problem here. The Nokia Espn, Espn Score Center, Weather Channel, and Facebook apps have problems updating their live tiles and showing notifications on my Lumia 920.

I think this is a problem w/ developers and not WP7 or WP8. My Me tile and WP Central tile work fine.
    11-24-2012 11:38 PM
    Bloomberg not working for me, installed it over the weekend so that might be the reason as all markets are closed on weekends.
    11-24-2012 11:43 PM
112 12345