05-19-2013 09:46 PM
66 123
tools
    Did a quick look on those critic profiles, most of them did not have a 920 anyways. That said enough.
    theefman likes this.
    05-15-2013 11:10 AM
    I think the disappointment stems from several things. One is that Windows Phone, after more than 6 months still lacks a lot of basic features that other phones already have, I know this is OS base but it's one of those 'things'. With all the hype there was a lot of hope of a possible Instagram announcment, sure we got Oggl but to some that won't be enough. Which is where the waiting for apps comes in.

I don't think the disappointment was in the 928 as that unfortunately was required due to the silly US carriers however I have a hard time figuring out the 925. All it says to me is that they did it wrong when they released the 920. It's basically a 920, thinner and lighter, without wireless charging until you put an ugly cover on, less internal memory and a better camera and software. So it's Nokia way of saying, look we can make fancy handsets, here's one if you want. This wasn't necessary.

The fact that Nokia keeps releasing handsets and the OS is pretty much standing still doesn't do much for the ecosystem. I know Blue is coming and now Amber from Nokia, both great things but it's always wait, things will get better. I think this is the great disappointment. We're so far behind other handsets in many ways that lots of us are tired of the wait. Some just thought that maybe this announcement would have had something more for us waiting, but no, we're still waiting. Now for even more stuff.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 05-15-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    05-15-2013 11:13 AM
    I'm not disappointed in these two phones, but I don't think they warranted a live press conference either.
    05-15-2013 11:23 AM
    I think the disappointment stems from several things. One is that Windows Phone, after 6 months still lacks a lot of basic features that other phones already have, I know this is OS base but it's one of those 'things'. With all the hype there was a lot of hope of a possible Instagram announcment, sure we got Oggl but to some that won't be enough. Which is where the waiting for apps comes in.

I don't think the disappointment was in the 928 as that unfortunately was required due to the silly US carriers however I have a hard time figuring out the 925. All it says to me is that they did it wrong when they released the 920. It's basically a 920, thinner and lighter, without wireless charging until you put an ugly cover on, less internal memory and a better camera and software. So it's Nokia way of saying, look we can make fancy handsets, here's one if you want. This wasn't necessary.

The fact that Nokia keeps releasing handsets and the OS is pretty much standing still doesn't do much for the ecosystem. I know Blue is coming and now Amber from Nokia, both great things but it's always wait, things will get better. I think this is the great disappointment. We're so far behind other handsets in many ways that lots of us are tired of the wait. Some just thought that maybe this announcement would have had something more for us waiting, but no, we're still waiting. Now for even more stuff.
    I agree. I was real hopeful when Windows Phone 8 launched since there were statements from MS that they wanted to add other things but just ran out of time. Well, here we are almost 9 months later and there's been one small update. There's really nothing else the OEMs can do at this point other than making phones thinner and longer lasting until MS updates the OS.
    05-15-2013 11:25 AM
    I'm not disappointed in these two phones, but I don't think they warranted a live press conference either.
    You do realised that 925 and 928 are carrier variant cater to Verizon and Vodafone repectively right?
    If you paid couple of million for an exclusive to Nokia will you ask them at least to do a press conference?
    05-15-2013 11:43 AM
    I do understand that users may feel there are a 'lack of features'.

The question is: Can you use your WP device on a daily basis? Does it do it all very well and better than the opposition?
    Yes, and NO.

I agree with most of your post. There is one caveat though...my 810, only with a small "Other" runs great. When the Other is too large, I have to reset the phone, is damn well inconvenient because the OS lacks a full backup solution. The problem is that this issue needs to get addressed, especially when OEMs will still put smaller internal memory in cheaper phones.

I know MSFT is working on it, but that still plays into other issues on the platform. I love how Nokia is keeping WP8 in the public eye...but remember they HAVE NO CHOICE. If WP fails, they're %&#$"!

I hope carrier exclusive deals doesn't kill Nokia. I've got a carrier exclusive phone, 810, and I have to HOPE T-Mobile still supports it with updates. Ain't that a wonderful spot to be in? Will they kill the 925 quickly too if it doesn't sell? That would just **** more T-Mobile users off.

So yes, some of us WP users complain all the time for no reason, but many of the complaints are legitimate issues we want to see fixed in the OS, etc.

I too agree Nokia has a ton of handsets out. It still falls back on MSFT to push updates in a timely manner for the OS and the carriers to take of the variants that are in the wild and coming in the pipeline.
    Dr_8820 likes this.
    05-15-2013 11:46 AM
    Interesting to see peoples opinions :) personally, it doesn't bother me with the release of the two new phones more choice for people. Its the summer which i wait for :)

But the way complaining goes, its funny how that works. Apple iphone 4, glass back. No complaintes; nexus 4, glass back. Complaints

Haha what can you do?!
    05-15-2013 11:49 AM
    I think that they were excited because they are trying new materials (aluminium). Next gen Lumias will follow the Aluminium design and that may have been the whole thing... If the 925 was released with,the 928 and 920 it would have been awesome and WP will have like 7% market share.. All the hype is gone now.. Everyone is waiting for EOS.. Regardless the 925 is Awesome and T-mo finally will have a "flagship" phone..
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    05-15-2013 11:50 AM
    You do realised that 925 and 928 are carrier variant cater to Verizon and Vodafone repectively right?
    If you paid couple of million for an exclusive to Nokia will you ask them at least to do a press conference?
    The 925 is not exclusive to Vodafone, well not here in the EU. It's going to be released on several carriers.
    05-15-2013 11:50 AM
    I think that they were excited because they are trying new materials (aluminium). Next gen Lumias will follow the Aluminium design and that may have been the whole thing... If the 925 was released with,the 928 and 920 it would have been awesome and WP will have like 7% market share.. All the hype is gone now.. Everyone is waiting for EOS.. Regardless the 925 is Awesome and T-mo finally will have a "flagship" phone..
    ^ This. To me, I would have been fine with Nokia launching the 920 as the global device, with the 928 and 925 as carrier variants along with the 820 at WP8 launch, followed by the 620 and 720 earlier this year (no 520, just widen the price points more ate push the 620 into 520 markets). But I guess Nokia couldn't do that sadly because of the state of WP8 at the time. It made sense for the 920 only because with the 900 not getting WP8, they damaged some of the good will from the public and couldn't afford for all 3 920 type handsets not to sell.

I still may get a 920 and skip the 925, or wait until the fall, especially if my 810 gets no updates. Still, I'm glad there ate more choices for folks on WP8 now, at least, among Nokia that is...
    05-15-2013 11:58 AM
    The 925 is not exclusive to Vodafone, well not here in the EU. It's going to be released on several carriers.
    The 32GB version is.. Ohh and O2 has exclusive white version...
    Yes, and NO.

I agree with most of your post. There is one caveat though...my 810, only with a small "Other" runs great. When the Other is too large, I have to reset the phone, is damn well inconvenient because the OS lacks a full backup solution. The problem is that this issue needs to get addressed, especially when OEMs will still put smaller internal memory in cheaper phones.

I know MSFT is working on it, but that still plays into other issues on the platform. I love how Nokia is keeping WP8 in the public eye...but remember they HAVE NO CHOICE. If WP fails, they're %&#$"!

I hope carrier exclusive deals doesn't kill Nokia. I've got a carrier exclusive phone, 810, and I have to HOPE T-Mobile still supports it with updates. Ain't that a wonderful spot to be in? Will they kill the 925 quickly too if it doesn't sell? That would just **** more T-Mobile users off.

So yes, some of us WP users complain all the time for no reason, but many of the complaints are legitimate issues we want to see fixed in the OS, etc.

I too agree Nokia has a ton of handsets out. It still falls back on MSFT to push updates in a timely manner for the OS and the carriers to take of the variants that are in the wild and coming in the pipeline.
    +810!
    The 32GB version is.. Ohh and O2 has exclusive white version...
    Three (3), Phones 4U and Car Phone Warehouse all will stock it. So no not exclusive at all.
    05-15-2013 12:01 PM
    I think the disappointment stems from several things. One is that Windows Phone, after more than 6 months still lacks a lot of basic features that other phones already have, I know this is OS base but it's one of those 'things'. With all the hype there was a lot of hope of a possible Instagram announcment, sure we got Oggl but to some that won't be enough. Which is where the waiting for apps comes in.

Windows phone lacking features is nothing to do with Nokia, that's MS's fault. Neither is instagram not being on WP Nokia's fault either. Nokia releasing handsets frequently is a good thing, gets attention, exposes them to new users and attracts more consumers, and is much better than having silence in the WP camp while a new android device is launched every week. Anything else speak to Microsoft, they are the ones not updating the OS fast enough.

This is why the 925 is a good thing Gizmodo- Nokia Lumia 925 – this is the Windows Phone that you’ll want. The Verge calls 925 ‘Stunning’… : My Nokia Blog.
    05-15-2013 12:08 PM
    Three (3), Phones 4U and Car Phone Warehouse all will stock it. So no not exclusive at all.
    The 32GB?? And the White?? Humm I don't want to be picky, but can you show me the link (source).. Just want to make sure....
    05-15-2013 12:08 PM
    Windows phone lacking features is nothing to do with Nokia, that's MS's fault. Neither is instagram not being on WP Nokia's fault either. Nokia releasing handsets frequently is a good thing, gets attention, exposes them to new users and attracts more consumers, and is much better than having silence in the WP camp while a new android device is launched every week. Anything else speak to Microsoft, they are the ones not updating the OS fast enough.
    It woudld be awesome if MS hands the OS to Nokia!!!! That will,improve the features and apps and everything so quickly..
    05-15-2013 12:10 PM
    The 32GB?? And the White?? Humm I don't want to be picky, but can you show me the link (source).. Just want to make sure....
    You're right about the storage. Won't comment on colour because i don't know myself. The 32gb will be exclusive to voda while others will be 16
    05-15-2013 01:40 PM
    Apple didn't do a press conference for Verizon when they got the iPhone, and I suspect that was much bigger news than the 928 is.
    05-15-2013 01:45 PM
    generally in sales, a car, truck, or any object for sale with a higher number means more of something, wether it is size, options, or pricepoint

since there is so much confusion from wp fans that have experience with both nokia and microsoft, it might be a good idea to rethink the current numbering scheme.

both new, and current customers would benefit from this.
    05-15-2013 02:04 PM
    Sorry for the late reply. I didn't look too deep. From what I can tell, white exclusive on 02. Nothing about what Three will carry, no announcements for EE yet. Assume Phones 4U and Car Phone Warehouse to have everything. T-Moible is the exclusive for the US. Vodafone UK scores 32GB Lumia 925, O2 gets dibs on white model for June 13
    05-15-2013 04:15 PM
    Pav that's because apple was and still is a major player, one of the top dogs everyone already knew the iphone was going to verizon

Wight due respect, nokia and wp is not yet currently
    05-16-2013 03:23 AM
    Well let's clear something up first. I never said Nokia was at fault for anything. The question was what are people disappointed, I gave my reasons. Simply put I don't believe the 925 does anything for the ecosystem. You basically have a 920 (unless on Vodafone, less RAM) with a fancy shell and slighty better camera software with botched wireless charging system using an ugly cover. I don't see the value, sorry.

Next, yes I know that a lot of the issues concerning the OS is all on MS as I stated.

Lastly, the only reason I brought up Instagram, aside from it still missing, was the fact that Nokia had their app #2Instawithlove and there was maybe hope that they may have announced it as an exclusive on the Lumia, like they did with Oggl and other apps. That's all I was implying. So yes a disappointment.

We have an ecosystem that is almost 9 months old, we're still missing top apps, top games and there's the stupid issues with Google. Yet Nokia decides we need another handset to add the already too many models they have. Yes, I'm disappointed.

How do you keep Windows Phone in the public? It's called adversting and marketing. Showcase what you have. This is not being done.
    05-16-2013 04:16 AM
    Well let's clear something up first. I never said Nokia was at fault for anything. The question was what are people disappointed, I gave my reasons. Simply put I don't believe the 925 does anything for the ecosystem. You basically have a 920 (unless on Vodafone, less RAM) with a fancy shell and slighty better camera software with botched wireless charging system using an ugly cover. I don't see the value, sorry.

Next, yes I know that a lot of the issues concerning the OS is all on MS as I stated.

Lastly, the only reason I brought up Instagram, aside from it still missing, was the fact that Nokia had their app #2Instawithlove and there was maybe hope that they may have announced it as an exclusive on the Lumia, like they did with Oggl and other apps. That's all I was implying. So yes a disappointment.

We have an ecosystem that is almost 9 months old, we're still missing top apps, top games and there's the stupid issues with Google. Yet Nokia decides we need another handset to add the already too many models they have. Yes, I'm disappointed.

How do you keep Windows Phone in the public? It's called adversting and marketing. Showcase what you have. This is not being done.
    How many times does people like you need to realize that 925 was intend for Vodafone and sale at anywhere else is a bonus?
    Why did you not cry foul of 928 being hardware lock down to one single network?
    Get over it. The only thing 925 missing is the wireless charging. Everything else is equal and a new camera for a its unique feature.
    If you are not a customer to the Vodafone and decided not to love 925 then fine, get a 920 or any other phone.
    05-16-2013 05:07 AM
    How many times does people like you need to realize that 925 was intend for Vodafone and sale at anywhere else is a bonus?
    Why did you not cry foul of 928 being hardware lock down to one single network?
    Get over it. The only thing 925 missing is the wireless charging. Everything else is equal and a new camera for a its unique feature.
    If you are not a customer to the Vodafone and decided not to love 925 then fine, get a 920 or any other phone.
    The 928 was a requirement of Verizon. A somewhat stupid US carrier requirement because Nokia is 'unkown' and has no clout in the US so has to make special handsets for the US carriers otherwise the 920 would have been everywhere instead of all the varriants. So as much as I think the 928 along with all the other varrients are stupid I do realise it has nothing to do with Nokia.

I own a 920, thanks. Which is why I have opinions, which I'm entitled to. I am just stating them. If you don't like it, fine. I don't see the value in the 925 as part of the ecosystem. Simple. Shall we move on?
    05-16-2013 05:13 AM
    At a price point of $100 on contract (for the 928 on Verizon anyway), nobody should be disappointed.
    05-16-2013 09:58 AM
66 123