Can't connect to chat

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you guys are using an alias as your primary MS account on your phone. Your primary account on your phone and outlook.com have to match. Either format your phone and change the alias to your primary account, or Go to Outlook.com > Your Account Icon (Top Right Corner) > Account Settings > Add or Change Aliases > Make Primary (On the account which is primary on your phone). Wait around 20 minutes and it should login correctly.

Everything is in place. But still getting the same error message. Its been 20 days now . Tried many of the online solutions and none of them have worked so far.

maksi007

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a lumia 920 with GDR2 and Amber updates. I turned off 'Restrict background data when I'm near my limit' in the data sence app. After that the messaging app can connect. The facebook and the skype apps have been installed.

Last edited:

longnd

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Try removing facebook app then go to "Me" tile, change your status to "offline" then "available" again. It works for me.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a lumia 920 with GDR2 and Amber updates. I turned off 'Restrict background data when I'm near my limit' in the data sence app. After that the messaging app can connect. The facebook and the skype apps have been installed.

Tried the above option !! Not working for me.. Is there anything else that i can try .

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Having a tough time after amber update .. !! Facebook messenger not working, Whatsapp live tiles and notifications not working, Store tile not updating (have to manually check updates)...

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My first 920 (in Black) would connect to chat just fine, both Messenger and Facebook. I swapped it for a Red 920 because: color. Everything was fine for a month or two and suddenly I couldn't connect to chat no matter what I did. I must have hard reset that thing ten times! I ultimately traded it in for an unrelated issue and got a 920 in Yellow.

I've been connected ever since. I don't want to say this is the cause, but it could just be the device itself.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's an issue with the device as it was working for the past 7 months . But in the last 1 month my phone's integrated chat service has never worked irrespective of executing various steps advised by windowsphonesupport in twitter as well as other online forums.

OsamaAdam98

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm also having the same problem, Except that I can connect on wifi with no problem.

My only problem is when connecting to 3g, Everything works except the fb chat integration.

HansTj

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, someone in this page mentioned about Microsoft account aliases. That reminded me, a couple of months ago, I created a new alias for my Microsoft account and made it primary. This would mean that the Microsoft account alias being used for my Nokia Lumia 920 is no longer primary. Long story short, after making it primary again, the Messaging hub finally works again. So, here are the few steps that I just did:

1. Removed Facebook account from my phone.
  2. Went to outlook.com to switch the primary alias of my Microsoft account. Make sure the alias being used in your phone is set as your primary.
  3. Waited for an email confirmation about the alias switch.
  4. Re-added my Facebook account into my phone again. But when it came to the page that asked to connect facebook chat to the messaging hub, I chose "not now".
  5. Opened Messaging hub. At this time, I realized that I had forgotten to set the chat status to offline and I noticed that the same "can't connect to chat" was still there. So, I simply set the chat status to "offline", and then back of "available". And then, VOILA! It connected!
  6. Lastly, I went to Settings and turned on "Use Facebook Chat". Facebook chat was successfully connected, and now I am able to see all my online Messenger and Facebook friends.
I do not have data plan, so I have always had my cellular data connection set to off. I have been using WiFi only.

Throughout all these steps, I did not have Skype installed on my phone. I am going to try to install to see if it will cause what will happen, as many have said Skype app is what causes the chat connection error. I will also see how many this connection will last, and I will update you again.

Last edited:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
some kind of update must have broke it cause I used to be connected all time in the messaging app. I don't really use that microsoft account for chatting so very little messages go through there and I don't notice. But I have used it since nov 2012 on my 920 and the past while, weeks I guess, I get a can't connect message.

I don't have facebook connected so it's just that microsoft account.

I use a different account for skype.

My windows 8 machine with the same account as my phone can connect with the messaging app fine.

My datasense is set to unlimited, don't have any battery saving... weird.

Rakesh91be

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Here Is the Solution ... Hello FB And Microsoft The Problem In connecting Windows 8 Phone To facebook Chat in messaging Is just Simple... Follow These Steps I assure u that .. this will work.. :)
1. Remember if u have changed your microsoft account alias name.
2. use the same microsoft account in lumia or windows phone .
3. delete the old alias which u will never use from the microsoft or outlook account.
4. Make the new alias (used to sync in Windows Phone) your Primary Account or alias.
5. Now connect the Microsoft and facebook chat in your browser and allow the chat on.
6. now signout the microsoft account from your PC .
7. Connect the chat on in the messaging on your windows Phone.
8. Or just restart, and everything will be alright. :)
9. now you can see who is online.. Enjoy Friends
Facebook Always Insists On its Users... Hope Everything Is well going.. Thankz..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital