Can't connect to chat

akashpats

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
uninstalling skype never worked for me. I just deleted my facebook account from phone and reconnect it which had worked for me many times but if this also didn't worked try going to MS account from your pc and do completely remove your facebook connection and after that reconnect it. Since from then a month passed & i didn't had this problem again...

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I installed GDR3, it has been working perfect. I can turn off my phone and have confidence that it will be working when I turn it back on. It wasn't like that before.

Jonska

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi. Few weeks ago upgraded from L800 to L1020. Chat has worked flawlessly, until few days ago it stopped working. I don't have Facebook account at all, but have Skype account, but I have never installed any of those apps to L1020. So that can't be the reason behind this. This really annoys me big time...why did it stop working by itself?

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I've tried everything listed here. The only working solution for me was to remove all Microsoft association in my Facebook account, remove the Facebook app, remove the Facebook account from my device, and start over. That worked for a few days, but it's back to not working again.

Oris

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
NOKIA LUMIA "cant connect to chat" ISSUE FIXED (Work Around discovered)

I wont say issue is fixed, but I would rather say a work around.
First make sure that your microsoft live account primary email address is the same address you use for your facebook account.

Next, what I discovered is that the Bug is with Battery Saver option.Try the following steps as it is mentioned below. Make sure the battery saver option is off before you try this.

1) Turn of Facebook Chat.

2) Set Chat status to Offline.

3) Go to Battery Saver option in settings.

4) Turn on Battery saver.

5) Go to Advanced Settings inside Battery Saver.

6) Tap on each of the three options there from bottom to top one after another.

7) Come back and turn off the Battery Saver.

8) Go back to messaging and turn on Facebook Chat.

9) Now set chat status to available. It should get connected.

Try these steps as it is mentioned. If still it fails, you can add a step between step 2 and step 3. This new step is nothing but switching your device off and then on. It should definitely work

@Microsoft, plz fix this bug ASAP. Its a problem with your Windows 8. This issue has nothing to do with NOKIA or Facebook.

Regards,
Dikhunmekh

Oris

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
NOKIA LUMIA "cant connect to chat" ISSUE FIXED (Work Around discovered)

I wont say issue is fixed, but I would rather say a work around.
First make sure that your microsoft live account primary email address is the same address you use for your facebook account.

Next, what I discovered is that the Bug is with Battery Saver option.Try the following steps as it is mentioned below. Make sure the battery saver option is off before you try this.

1) Turn of Facebook Chat.

2) Set Chat status to Offline.

3) Go to Battery Saver option in settings.

4) Turn on Battery saver.

5) Go to Advanced Settings inside Battery Saver.

6) Tap on each of the three options there from bottom to top one after another.

7) Come back and turn off the Battery Saver.

8) Go back to messaging and turn on Facebook Chat.

9) Now set chat status to available. It should get connected.

Try these steps as it is mentioned. If still it fails, you can add a step between step 2 and step 3. This new step is nothing but switching your device off and then on. It should definitely work

@Microsoft, plz fix this bug ASAP. Its a problem with your Windows 8. This issue has nothing to do with NOKIA or Facebook.

Regards,
Dikhunmekh

wow! It worked for me. thanks

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else having problems with the Messaging built-in app in WP8? I've been getting the "can't connect to chat" very often since yesterday, regardless of the phone being connected to H+, H, 3G or WiFi. I've had to soft reset it a few times.

I am having the same issue now. Previously on my Nokia Lumia 620 which was on the Vodafone network I did not have any issues at all. Now I have a Nokia Lumia 625 on the EE network (4G) and am facing this issue repeatedly throughout the day.

I think it's a network related error based on my experience. The issue I am having is not just connecting with FB chat, but with messenger.

I have tried the previous sim card in my 625 and it works fine, I've tried the EE sim card in the 620 and then I get the same problem.

The odd thing is, is that on 4G I get 3/5 bars, on 2G and 3G I get 5/5 bars. I have tried keeping 3G enabled throughout the day and I still get the error, although marginally less often. This again confirms that it is indeed a network issue. I am aware that Vodafone operates on the 900Mhz spectrum while EE operates on 1800Mhz. Would this make a difference at all???

I am stuck since EE are totally useless... When I called them, they kept interrupting me and said that Nokia had basically begged them to offer their phones on the EE network because it would work well with it. Yes, that was EE's argument. So I said my byes and hung up knowing full well this particular person would not be of assistance.

The "can't connect to chat" issue is not major, but quite annoying and I'd like to get it solved...

Wurstsalat

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
So far all posted solution doesnt work for me...but now i was able to fix it on this way:
- go to https://account.live.com and login
- select "add or change alias"
- if you have no alias, create one...don`t use an @live.com address!
- make one of your aliases which is not @live.com to the primary one
- try to connect to Chat
- it should work

Hope this will help someone else...i think the main problem ist @live.com addresses, do not ask me why. If i revert to @live.com address, it breaks the IM.

confirmed working
@Outlook.de

Maybe it depends on your account location settings and your top Level Domain of your account... (for example, i am from Germany, *.com doesnt work, *.de works...but cant test all because i cant change primary alias this often )

Last edited:

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue now. Previously on my Nokia Lumia 620 which was on the Vodafone network I did not have any issues at all. Now I have a Nokia Lumia 625 on the EE network (4G) and am facing this issue repeatedly throughout the day.

I think it's a network related error based on my experience. The issue I am having is not just connecting with FB chat, but with messenger.

I have tried the previous sim card in my 625 and it works fine, I've tried the EE sim card in the 620 and then I get the same problem.

The odd thing is, is that on 4G I get 3/5 bars, on 2G and 3G I get 5/5 bars. I have tried keeping 3G enabled throughout the day and I still get the error, although marginally less often. This again confirms that it is indeed a network issue. I am aware that Vodafone operates on the 900Mhz spectrum while EE operates on 1800Mhz. Would this make a difference at all???

I am stuck since EE are totally useless... When I called them, they kept interrupting me and said that Nokia had basically begged them to offer their phones on the EE network because it would work well with it. Yes, that was EE's argument. So I said my byes and hung up knowing full well this particular person would not be of assistance.

The "can't connect to chat" issue is not major, but quite annoying and I'd like to get it solved...

Solved the problem by going back to Vodafone. This issue does seem to be related to your carrier. Try a different sim card if you can to see if that solves the problem.

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue. My accounts (Facebook, Skype, Google and Hotmail) were connected. Battery saver was off, tought was a carrier issue, I uninstalled skype (I tought the problem was that I connected to Skype with my hotmail account). But I also had an alias (name@outlook.com) and my Microsoft account on the phone was name@hotmail.com. I setted the the name@hotmail account as my primary hotmail account. Now the messenger is working. I already tried and then I installed Skype. No more issues. Works fine. My phone is unlocked, now I'm using Claro Guatemala, so I believe is not a carrier issue. Hope this help you.

stevenfun

May 29, 2013
Visit site
After going through all the posts and solutions from this tread, I have make some experiments myself. I think I have found solution for this thread, finger crossed. My solution is to make sure all background chat applications are logged in with the same email account, to avoid the unknown conflict caused by these applications.

What I have done:
1. Make sure I have merge Skype account with Microsoft account, by making sure that the primary email I used in my Skype account is the Microsoft email that I logged into my Windows Phone. The merging step shall be done over a desktop version, not the WP version, if I am not wrong.
2. Make sure the primary email I used in my Facebook account is the Microsoft email that I logged into my Windows Phone as well.
3. To make sure all accounts are logged in correctly, I have logged out from my Skype account and Facebook account and log in again with my Microsoft email.
4. Restart the phone, and I am always connected to chat.
Hope this post will help. At least it is working well for my phone.:smile:

ca_guri

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday i uninstall the whatsapp due to heavy app data of around 400mb, but when i install it again after that i am facing problem regarding notifications. I am not getting notification from whatsapp, when i open The app, only then i am able to see the new messages, i also have enables the push notifications on in the settings of whatsapp, now i do not know why this problem occurs to me, i haven't face this kind of problem earlier... Can any one 1 help me on this problem......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeroyNoodle