Can't connect to chat

Prinsipe Oplok

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I've done everything in this topic but to no avail. I searched for stuff on Google regarding this, still no luck. I have no other Microsoft account, just one. And it is the primary account used in my WP8 device. Facebook chat really won't connect. I have uninstalled apps like Skype and Facebook, but the problem persists. Pleeeeeaaaaaase let there be a solution other than resetting the phone. I don't want to buy my purchased apps again.

Edit: I tried logging my Microsoft account and tried Facebook chat from there using the web browser, and it works just fine. It's only on my phone that can't connect.

Last edited:

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I've done everything in this topic but to no avail. I searched for stuff on Google regarding this, still no luck. I have no other Microsoft account, just one. And it is the primary account used in my WP8 device. Facebook chat really won't connect. I have uninstalled apps like Skype and Facebook, but the problem persists. Pleeeeeaaaaaase let there be a solution other than resetting the phone. I don't want to buy my purchased apps again.

Yeah !! I really agree with you that there must be some solution to this issue apart from hard reset. Even i too tried many of the steps in online forums but unfortunately i was not lucky enough .
However i would suggest looking into the below tweet from windowsphonesupport team on this issue and since they have acknowledged it , they might come out with some solutions sooner.

WindowsPhoneSupport
@WinPhoneSupport
We are actively working with Facebook on some issues for the Chat. The Factory Reset is the last step we can provide.

HansTj

May 10, 2013
Visit site

All the apps that you have previously purchased will NOT have to be repurchased. When you choose to buy the previously-purchased apps, the store will recognize that you have purchased and made payment for those apps, and you will be able to reinstall for free.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok, someone in this page mentioned about Microsoft account aliases. That reminded me, a couple of months ago, I created a new alias for my Microsoft account and made it primary. This would mean that the Microsoft account alias being used for my Nokia Lumia 920 is no longer primary. Long story short, after making it primary again, the Messaging hub finally works again. So, here are the few steps that I just did:

1. Removed Facebook account from my phone.
  2. Went to outlook.com to switch the primary alias of my Microsoft account. Make sure the alias being used in your phone is set as your primary.
  3. Waited for an email confirmation about the alias switch.
  4. Re-added my Facebook account into my phone again. But when it came to the page that asked to connect facebook chat to the messaging hub, I chose "not now".
  5. Opened Messaging hub. At this time, I realized that I had forgotten to set the chat status to offline and I noticed that the same "can't connect to chat" was still there. So, I simply set the chat status to "offline", and then back of "available". And then, VOILA! It connected!
  6. Lastly, I went to Settings and turned on "Use Facebook Chat". Facebook chat was successfully connected, and now I am able to see all my online Messenger and Facebook friends.
I do not have data plan, so I have always had my cellular data connection set to off. I have been using WiFi only.

Throughout all these steps, I did not have Skype installed on my phone. I am going to try to install to see if it will cause what will happen, as many have said Skype app is what causes the chat connection error. I will also see how many this connection will last, and I will update you again.

So this was what got it working for me. I changed my alias for my 920....didn't know I had to make that alias primary. Good work.

Arun Mohan MC

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Found Microsoft tried to resolve the problem . I can see chat status is available this morning, but the messages i tried to post, are nt reaching fb Server, I couldnt see the messages I posted in FB,

is any one facing same?

thanks in advance

Ashfaq Gazi

May 14, 2013
Visit site
m facing same prob. but its has some issues with skype . i deleted skpe thn it worked fine . chat messages of fb . again i installed skype but still it worked but yest my cell switched off due to battery drain n now same prob . its a headache m not gonna uninstall n install skype again n again . this is ridiculous. u can try if u use skype .

OsamaAdam98

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
So, Can someone give me a rational reason why the chat is working when connected on wifi but not on mobile network while I do pretty much everything else on mobile network?

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
So I am now able to successfully get it working every time it locks up. FYI, I always leave Bluetooth and tap+send on, and I set battery saver to NEVER turn on.

1. Turn Bluetooth off.
2. turn tap+send off.
3. turn battery saver on
4. turn Bluetooth on
5. turn tap+send on
6. turn battery saver off
7. Go to ME hub>set chat status>available

This has been working consistently for me for at least the last week or so.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
m facing same prob. but its has some issues with skype . i deleted skpe thn it worked fine . chat messages of fb . again i installed skype but still it worked but yest my cell switched off due to battery drain n now same prob . its a headache m not gonna uninstall n install skype again n again . this is ridiculous. u can try if u use skype .

wow........that did it :) uninstalled skype and it started working .......hurrrrrrrrrrayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :)

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Can't connect to chat comes again... tried uninstalling skype but this time its not resolving the issue of chat. still not connecting ...:(

kbartk

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
So nothing yet to solve this 5 months old problem.....this is not the way a company's like Nokia or Microsoft should work.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
i am now confused. Is skype really the issue ?? first time i unistalled skype , chat worked instantly ....next time onwards this mode of tweaks also doesn't help...so kind of annoyed and also frustrated to know that the windowsphone support team doesn't have a solution for this .
And there are people who mentioned that hard reset also failed in resolving the issue.

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
So I am now able to successfully get it working every time it locks up. FYI, I always leave Bluetooth and tap+send on, and I set battery saver to NEVER turn on.

1. Turn Bluetooth off.
2. turn tap+send off.
3. turn battery saver on
4. turn Bluetooth on
5. turn tap+send on
6. turn battery saver off
7. Go to ME hub>set chat status>available

This has been working consistently for me for at least the last week or so.

This still works for me perfectly.

dikhunmekh

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
NOKIA LUMIA "cant connect to chat" ISSUE FIXED (Work Around discovered)

I wont say issue is fixed, but I would rather say a work around.
First make sure that your microsoft live account primary email address is the same address you use for your facebook account.

Next, what I discovered is that the Bug is with Battery Saver option.Try the following steps as it is mentioned below. Make sure the battery saver option is off before you try this.

1) Turn of Facebook Chat.

2) Set Chat status to Offline.

3) Go to Battery Saver option in settings.

4) Turn on Battery saver.

5) Go to Advanced Settings inside Battery Saver.

6) Tap on each of the three options there from bottom to top one after another.

7) Come back and turn off the Battery Saver.

8) Go back to messaging and turn on Facebook Chat.

9) Now set chat status to available. It should get connected.

Try these steps as it is mentioned. If still it fails, you can add a step between step 2 and step 3. This new step is nothing but switching your device off and then on. It should definitely work

@Microsoft, plz fix this bug ASAP. Its a problem with your Windows 8. This issue has nothing to do with NOKIA or Facebook.

Regards,
Dikhunmekh

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon