IPS or Super AMOLED? (Poll Edition)

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Iunno man, I really think that the color contrast shown on Windows Phone is what makes the Amoled soo damn good. The colors rlly pop and u feel like it's a diff phone altogether when placed next to another wp8 device. Like a person had the Ativ S in his hand in class, and I had my 8X (super LCD I know, but still!) and his screen just looked gorgeous with wp8.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: IPS or AMOLED?

Hmm...AMOLED...so long as it isn't Pentile. I dealt with that on an HTC Incredible. Loved, then hated it eventually. So I don't know I guess?

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site

I really like the look of IPS, especially on the 8X. But the outside viewing is terrible. I have the 928 and the AMOLED is awesome outside, but certainly a bit over-saturated inside with bright colors and a bit too bright in a dark room.

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

If you have a lumia 925....then hands-down AMOLED.

Amoled has the perfect, inky blacks - as opposed to the blacks on IPS which are actually dark grey.

Up until the 925 though, AMOLED's downsides have been bluish-tinted whites and wildly oversaturated colours.

The display tool on the 925 allows you to calibrate both colour saturation and white balance. Using this tool with my macbook pro's display acting as a reference panel (Apple are known for how serious they take display calibration) I have adjusted my display accordingly.

Now I have the perfect blacks of amoled combined with the realistic colour saturation and white balance that you find on IPS displays like the iphone 5 or HTC One. Perfect.

Hopefully Nokia will bring the calibration tool to its other models so others can use this.

Last edited:

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Repeat post as mentioned by posts below.. Please search forums before posting.

928 is just Amoled + Puremotion HD+ and Nokia's Clearblack .. I don't think it is super amoled

and where is the poll ??? :[:[

anon(5816156)

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Love AMOLED for the true black, which I have always appreciated. Saturation and Pentile (Pretty common, isn't it?) are what bother me but not too much. (Reasons why I bought an 820)

So, AMOLED it is.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
That's depend. Lumia 920 have a nice screen, but 720 doens't.

Still, LCD IPS is a bad choice from Nokia. Windows Phone (live tiles) needs bright colors and a very deep black. Only AMOLED can do that.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

I choose IPS, but not because I prefer it inherently. It's the PenTile that WP AMOLEDs have that I don't like.

PenTile AMOLED vs. IPS RGB: IPS wins
RGB AMOLED vs. IPS: AMOLED wins

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
The colour saturation on my Lumia 800 was a bit much for my liking. I prefer the cooler colour temp of the IPS on Lumia 920. It's easier on my eyes.

DHHSMichael

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
On Windows Phone, I would personally prefer AMOLED over my IPS display for the 920. Given that the metro design language uses vibrant and colorful themes alongside dark backgrounds, an AMOLED display has the opportunity to really do what Microsoft was going for to do Windows Phone its justice in terms of design. On the other hand, IPS and its outdoor viewing experience is absolutely remarkable although fails to fully satisfy my need for juicy colors in which AMOLED offers.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
On Windows Phone, I would personally prefer AMOLED over my IPS display for the 920. Given that the metro design language uses vibrant and colorful themes alongside dark backgrounds, an AMOLED display has the opportunity to really do what Microsoft was going for to do Windows Phone its justice in terms of design. On the other hand, IPS and its outdoor viewing experience is absolutely remarkable although fails to fully satisfy my need for juicy colors in which AMOLED offers.

That's right!

Just look at 720 x 820 screen comparison. Have both on my hand right now. When I look at 720 scree, i have "pixels, pixels everywhere" impression. Lumia 820 have the same screen size and resolution, but looks like a HD screen. No pixelizations at all. Otherwise, like I say, Lumia 720 looks like a 480p screen resolution. Which is.

So, thats what I think:

LCD IPS needs a high resolution to looks good or even OK. AMOLEDs based screen don't need it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon