I'm worried about Windows 8.1. Its more buggy than it need be at this point.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I use firefox and admittedly, of late, its been the most worthless of browsers in version 20 through 23. But it shouldn't be locking up my entire OS. I mean to the point of needing to hard reset my computer. Windows 7 was in beta I could not break it. Same for Windows 8. But 8.1 is breaking as a result of a faulty app and we are next door to a release. I had a problem connecting with the Store and needed to reinstall my OS. I'm getting that Vista nervousness about this update. Same feeling I had when Vista went to RTM. This doesn't feel ready.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I use firefox and admittedly, of late, its been the most worthless of browsers in version 20 through 23. But it shouldn't be locking up my entire OS. I mean to the point of needing to hard reset my computer. Windows 7 was in beta I could not break it. Same for Windows 8. But 8.1 is breaking as a result of a faulty app and we are next door to a release. I had a problem connecting with the Store and needed to reinstall my OS. I'm getting that Vista nervousness about this update. Same feeling I had when Vista went to RTM. This doesn't feel ready.

8 beta lagged incessantly, Firefox is one gaping memory leak.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
8 beta lagged incessantly, Firefox is one gaping memory leak.

I don't know what's going on with this browser either. We are downgrading it from 23 to 17 at my job. Script errors up the wazoo. But its breaking the OS. I thought MS was past those kinds of weaknesses.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what's going on with this browser either. We are downgrading it from 23 to 17 at my job. Script errors up the wazoo. But its breaking the OS. I thought MS was past those kinds of weaknesses.
1) We are not just next door to release. Consumers will not have it until October. The time between RTM and consumer release is when manufacturers, which includes software vendors, are supposed to get their acts together.
2) How can Microsoft be past the weakness of someone else's poor software? No OS is bullet proof and bad software can and will cause crashes. If it is one application I would hope you informing Mozilla since they are the one's who need to fix something.
3) FWIW, other than the fact that I think it sucks and is being driven solely by Google's cash, I have noticed no Firefox disasters on any machine on which I have tried the 8.1 beta.
4) A beta is still a beta and this one is no better or worse than the 8.0 and 7 betas. If you have a problem, report it to Microsoft so that it can get in the pipeline. Doom saying on a forum I guarantee they do not monitor is pointless.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is the app's problem, not the OS's. I don't think it is fair to blame the PREVIEW version of 8.1 for a buggy version of Firefox.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I do point to the OS because something is wrong here. I did see this same thing with Vista and you know the story there. I did not see this issue with Windows 7 and I threw everything at it to drop it. In beta, it was bullet proof. Even 8 is tough as nails. 8.1? Not so much. Something is wrong here. A browser should not be able to cripple the desktop to the point I have to hard reset.

"Doom saying on a forum I guarantee they do not monitor is pointless."
This is a forum for Windows 8 where enthusiasts meet and discuss. I'd spend more time with punctuation if I were you than trying to dictate what and where my freedom to speak happen. Moreover, reports are sent to Microsoft and to Mozilla automatically. Yes, I allowed for both so that part is covered pal. But since you're here and this won't be a total loss, you said you tried 8.1. You don't run it now? If not why not?

Last edited:

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I dunno about Firefox as I don't use it often, but I noticed that Windows 8.1 is very buggy, and you can feel it from opening any metro app (well, maybe some metro apps are all fine, I meant most). I am very lenient about bugs in preview OSs, but it was just too buggy. IE11 metro was not usable on the Surface, mainly because the swipe back feature was rendered useless. Had no choice but to revert to 8 and hope that MS can fix it before I face it again... :(

I mean, I've used a lot of previews and all of them I had no problem with, except 8.1. I've tried Windows 8 Developer Preview as my main OS, Windows 8 Consumer Preview as my main OS, Windows 8 Release Preview as my main OS, and all of those previews on a 2008 Pentium-powered HP.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
really? wow....

you shouldnt install previews if you will act like they are final release and make post about how something doesn't work.
of course it has bugs and it will have bugs.... that's why last time build 9471 was leaked... because the preview release isn't finished (9471 has a lot of bugs as well anyway)

and really, firefox?... ehmm only because it works fine in 8.0 it doesn't mean it will work the same in 8.1 still, its firefox team job to fix it, not Microsoft. but obviously firefox has to wait for a RTM to know if they have to fix something or not. its not like they will fix something that will break in RTM again.

if you cant deal with bugs and betas, why you even try it? and its an honest question... its in "preview" state, but still you expect it to be bugs free?
people HAD to install an update, to get the update from store, or download a full ISO to install 8.1 preview, its not like Microsoft put it in everyones computer and now people have to deal with it.n
o, you could decided to wait couple months and use Win8.1 in its final rtm state.
or well you could have installed 8.1 preview in a second partition, or a virtual machine...

but really, I dont get why people who don't seem to understand the word "preview" install a version like that. people who doesn't seem to find and use workarounds for their problems in a beta release (since they choose to install it as their main OS) but then they complain about the stability of it.

I have found a lot of bugs in 8.1, and other things don't work as expected which im sure Microsoft will fix, others things dont work but they don't on Microsoft (like sites not recognizing IE11 and then not working properly). But I also know im using a preview release, just like when I used 8.0 previews and they were the same if not worse buggy releases than 8.1.
advice? please reinstall 8.0 and move on, and wait for 8.1 final release. and contact firefox for your problem, I don't even use firefox, but I use other programs and I don't have problems with it, heavy programs that need a lot of resources and run as good as 8.0.

rhodri22

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I think MS is saving a lot for the RTM, because Windows 8.0 got three or four more updates on Tuesday than the 8.1 preview did. At this point I think that the preview is only going to be used to let people find bugs in the wild and won't get many if any fixes.
MS acknowledging the RT 8.1 Bluetooth issues, then saying that it had already been fixed for the RTM would match up to this pretty well.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, I'd be shocked if even the RTM has all of the bugs fixed. It seems highly likely that Microsoft knows 8.1 is still buggy, and that's part of why they're not going to release the RTM bits to TechNet/MSDN users this time around.

Because even a very recently leaked build is still very buggy... there's much more work to be done than realistically will be done by the end of the month.

Considering end users won't see the product until October 17, that's the true deadline for all of the fixes that need to take place, not some arbitrary date in August where they just decide that the OS is 'good enough'.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion