What should I do?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Alright, let me give some back story first. Two years ago, my dad really wanted an iPhone (he doesn't understand technology, so he needed a simple phone), so we switched to AT&T and he got us all iPhones. Well, the only two carriers near me are U.S. Cellular and AT&T, with U.S. Cellular being way better than AT&T (I don't think I've dropped 2 calls during my years with them, whereas AT&T is well... AT&T). Since U.S. Cellular is getting iPhones now, my family wants to switch back, but U.S. Cellular has one WP... and it's the ATIV. Personally, I don't want to leave Nokia phones because they're so much better than the Samsung phones, and AT&T always gets the good phones, but their service is not that great (especially if it rains) AND they're more expensive.

My basic question is this, because I can't decide: Is it worth to stay on AT&T with not as good coverage and higher prices (since I'll be on a plan by myself), but I'll be getting phones like the 1520 and whatever else Nokia has planned, or switch to U.S. Cellular and go with the Samsung? I honestly can't decide if it's worth it.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I Think it depends most on if you want/need the exclusive app, like for example the HERE apps, but if I remember correctly you can get them on a Samsung too, but you have to pay for them.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I use a Nokia exclusive app, but the features, camera, and stuff like that is what I meant. Are the Lumias so good that it wouldn't be worth switching?

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I use a Nokia exclusive app, but the features, camera, and stuff like that is what I meant. Are the Lumias so good that it wouldn't be worth switching?

Unfortunately I wont be able to give you a good answer to this, the only thing I can say is that it depends on what you think and need :wink:

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I have an ATIV S. I've never had a Lumia but I can tell you this is a wonderful device. Quick as a snap, great camera, fast apps, etc. And the HERE apps are completely free. However just know that it's over a year old technology now. That won't matter to some people, but it's by no means "top of the line" anymore. And I don't know of any Samsung or HTC offerings in the pipeline. You may want to stay with the Nokia side, as they have lots coming. If the ATIV S goes away, you may have zero WP options.

-edit-

Also, incredible battery. Used sparingly, it can last you like 32 hours.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
As a Sprint user, I will say if you're NOT HAPPY with the carrier, you won't be happy with anything tied to that carrier. What good is your awesome Nokia phone if you can't keep a stable/fast data connection, or even hold onto a phone call. The Ativ isn't THAT bad of a phone is it? And the Here Drive and Here Maps are free on all WP8 devices, the Here Drive+ has some added features, but the non+ version does very well for navigation, keeps the offline maps, to the point that I don't need to use anything else.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Be SURE - and I mean double, triple check SURE - to re-verify US Cell coverage - AND QUALITY - in your area. They have not had a good 3 -4 months. A big problem they've had is needing to cannibalize spectrum to dedicate to the iPhone. As a result, most of their existing phones have become extremely crippled in data speed. Not to mention, there still is no date for the release of the iPhone on USCC.

They have also upped their pricing to pretty much go hand in hand with Verizon's, as well as brought back contracts - no more one and done goodness.

Simply, they are not the US Cellular you knew from two years ago. If you have to use them, you have to, but they are not in a good spot these days.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Be SURE - and I mean double, triple check SURE - to re-verify US Cell coverage - AND QUALITY - in your area. They have not had a good 3 -4 months. A big problem they've had is needing to cannibalize spectrum to dedicate to the iPhone. As a result, most of their existing phones have become extremely crippled in data speed. Not to mention, there still is no date for the release of the iPhone on USCC.

They have also upped their pricing to pretty much go hand in hand with Verizon's, as well as brought back contracts - no more one and done goodness.

Simply, they are not the US Cellular you knew from two years ago. If you have to use them, you have to, but they are not in a good spot these days.

hmm.... That's interesting. I knew they were in a tight spot, but I didn't know about the cannibalizing data for the iPhone. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I know their call quality where I am is the best by far. At our local college football games, where there are around 50,000 people using their phone, if you don't have us cellular, you can't hardly make a call unless you're lucky. I'll have to check on their data because I know 2 years ago when I went to at&t, my us cellular friends had tough time streaming videos and stuff, but that's because at&t had 4g, but now us cellular has LTE while at&t still has 4g, so I'll have to check on that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720