WP8 IE and Guardian website

mcentee2

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum or ont etiquette, however I only have one WP8 device so can't cross-correlate with other users.

Since a few weeks ago I am finding the Guardian.co.uk mobile website extremely slow to load on my Lumia 520.

Other browsers are fine, the Desktop version of the wensite is fine, and this is across wifi and 3g.

I have Deleted History a number of times, this tends to clear it up until the next time the pages have changed and it just sites and either times-out or doesn't load the pages.

I have raised with the Guardian - but would like to know if its just me/my device!

Many Thanks

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It's working fine on my L920. I don't go there that often on my mobile. I'm in the UK and on mobile data. I have a OK connection.

I can't really think what could be causing this issue.

mcentee2

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi - thanks for the test :)

I find that after a clear out the first visit seems ok (occasionally), so it could just be you have no Guardian pages cached.

Could I ask you retry occasional throughout the day as the pages update, and see if you still are ok ?

Many Thanks

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi - thanks for the test :)

I find that after a clear out the first visit seems ok (occasionally), so it could just be you have no Guardian pages cached.

Could I ask you retry occasional throughout the day as the pages update, and see if you still are ok ?

Many Thanks

Sure I'll check it a few times to see and report back.

Oranges123

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum or ont etiquette, however I only have one WP8 device so can't cross-correlate with other users.

Since a few weeks ago I am finding the Guardian.co.uk mobile website extremely slow to load on my Lumia 520.

Other browsers are fine, the Desktop version of the wensite is fine, and this is across wifi and 3g.

I have Deleted History a number of times, this tends to clear it up until the next time the pages have changed and it just sites and either times-out or doesn't load the pages.

I have raised with the Guardian - but would like to know if its just me/my device!

Many Thanks

I have a lumia 620 and I have also been experiencing this last few days with only the Guardian website using IE. It doesn't happen always but it does happen every now and then. I also clear history and exit IE and then go back to sometimes resolve the issue. I noticed they changed a little the mobile layout a while ago so I think it could be something on their end rather than wp. The app runs fine but its never been updated and is not as good as the mobile site.

mcentee2

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi Oranges123 - many thanks.

Same experience as me. It was fine until they updated their site a few weeks ago. I emailed them and have had some feedback "The technical team have made some improvements for users accessing the site on Windows Phones", however not for me.

I hope the smaller market share of WP8 doesn't come into play here and we are left hanging.

(Yes, the app isn't as good as the web version, especially re not being able to read comments in the app!)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I've tried again and so far I'm still getting a good speed. I haven't accessed anything other than the front page.

Is there a specific area you're going to?

mcentee2

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
No specific area - it is just really slow to load after the first visit without clearing the cache.More than slow really, almost as if it is having huge problems parsing and retrieving the content.

Once it is messed up though it seems to either hang ie in some state whereby I then can;t navigate off to another site, like BBS or Google etc. I can exit back to the start screen, then exit all running apps, go back into ie and its will still show where it go up to on the previous load. Really messed up!

I can use UC Browser with no problems though (that has its own idiosyncracies that I can't live with anyway!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
No specific area - it is just really slow to load after the first visit without clearing the cache.More than slow really, almost as if it is having huge problems parsing and retrieving the content.

Once it is messed up though it seems to either hang ie in some state whereby I then can;t navigate off to another site, like BBS or Google etc. I can exit back to the start screen, then exit all running apps, go back into ie and its will still show where it go up to on the previous load. Really messed up!

I can use UC Browser with no problems though (that has its own idiosyncracies that I can't live with anyway!

I can't seem to duplicate the problem on my L920. I'm having absolutely no issues with it at all. It's fast, fluid and I can navigate it. Very strange.

mcentee2

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok, many thanks :)

I've re-raised with the Guardian service desk, and linked to this thread in case I get any more problem users.

The only things I can think of are the User-Agent string of the 520/620 browsers, or that I might have to try a hard reset (yuk!).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Ok, many thanks :)

I've re-raised with the Guardian service desk, and linked to this thread in case I get any more problem users.

The only things I can think of are the User-ID of the 520/620 browsers, or that I might have to try a hard reset (yuk!).

I don't think I would hard reset just for one website... Maybe try a soft one first if anything.

mcentee2

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Tried any number of soft resets - funnily, after a soft reset it makes no difference at all, still seems to have cached its "hanging" state somewhere.

Oranges123

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Exact same symptoms. Though as I say for me its been working fine today. It just happens randomly every now and then but frequent enough recently.

mcentee2

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
As of last night and this morning - it is now behaving sensibly! Not sure if Guardian folks have updated anything though.

When I go home I was going to try using a "user agent" switcher, but there was nothing to test against as it worked ok - typical!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard