Background Applications Randomly Closing?

jitspoe

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

I'm pretty new to Windows Phones and recently got the Lumia 1020. There's something that's been testing my sanity, and it's either something I alone am doing, or I'm not typing in the right search words to find out what the issue is:

Do Windows Phones "randomly" shut down background applications?

For example, I'll be reading an article online, or typing an email, or playing a game, then go off and do something else, and I can always get back to where I was, but it seems, sometimes, I'll forget, then, like a day later, be like, "Oh, yeah, I need to finish and send that email", and ... it's just GONE. I hold the back button, and only a few things are left open in the background, none of which are my partially completed email/game/whatever.

Is there some kind of time limit for how long an application will stay open? Am I somehow inadvertently closing a bunch of background apps? How do I stop this from happening?

jitspoe

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Wow, so it looks like I got my answer immediately after posting this. I just happened to set my phone out on my desk and watched as the thing completely rebooted on its own. I guess it's not randomly closing background applications. It's randomly rebooting and acting like nothing happened! Is it defective? Should I try to get it replaced? I got it from Best Buy in December. I'm not sure how long the warranty is good for.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You're definitely still under warranty. If Best Buy won't honour it, Nokia will look after you.

To partially answer you question though, background tasks WILL terminate if there's too many tombstoned. I think the limit is 8 or 9 windows.
And yes, your phone sounds like it's defective.

jitspoe

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to increase that limit?

Also, it seems my phone has a habit of completely shutting off when the battery indicator thinks there's still about 50% of the charge left, so I guess I'll be looking at a replacement. Maybe the random reboots are a result of a faulty battery or battery charge sensor.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to increase that limit?

Also, it seems my phone has a habit of completely shutting off when the battery indicator thinks there's still about 50% of the charge left, so I guess I'll be looking at a replacement. Maybe the random reboots are a result of a faulty battery or battery charge sensor.
No, unfortunately not. I think the amount of background tasks can vary, but it floats around 7 to 9. The newer iPhones can do 20+.
I'd certainly look at getting a replacement anyway buddy, that's not normal behaviour. :eek:rly:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes