What you LOST in WP8.1

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Lost functionalities:
- No option to change search provider in IE to Google. You got the cortana screen (if cortana is on) or the bing search screen (if cortana if off) every time you search something by typing in IE's address bar, which is a very jarring experience. Note: The option to change search engine is there in this leaked version youtube.com/watch?v=w4Xt7eT0S_I. However, it's not there in this "official" video by Daniel We take a look at Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone Central . We have to wait until April 10 and see I guess. **Update**: I see the search provider choice in WP8.1 - Imgur !

Screenshot from my Lumia 1520, so no emulator or anything. Hope that clears this one up. :)
I'll have to go through the rest sometime. :D For the most part though, this fairly accurate. Thanks for putting this together!! :)

iXCA0r8.png

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
No Agenda?! WTF
Really?
And the Photos Hub?
And Icons at the top?
WHYYYYYYYY U HATE ME MS

I'm currently weighing the decision of installing 8.1. Some of you may think that I'm crazy, but for me personally, the wp8 photo hub background + Agenda View + hiding the icons at the top > notification center. 8.1 brings alot of great features, but I love my photo hub, agenda view, and hidden icons. I was of the portion of the user base who didn't crave the notification center. :p

Come on 8.1 GDR1, bring us back the photo hub background, agenda view, and add an option to enable hidden cell phone icons.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently weighing the decision of installing 8.1. Some of you may think that I'm crazy, but for me personally, the wp8 photo hub background + Agenda View + hiding the icons at the top > notification center. 8.1 brings alot of great features, but I love my photo hub, agenda view, and hidden icons. I was of the portion of the user base who didn't crave the notification center. :p

Come on 8.1 GDR1, bring us back the photo hub background, agenda view, and add an option to enable hidden cell phone icons.

Installed it on my prepaid 520 today, doesn't even have mobile date (wifi only). My 928 is still on 8 for now. Initial thoughts to these:

The calendar seemed okay -- they hadn't showed much other than a static view of "look there's a week" but in use it is all much more fluid and usable. I would like Agenda view, but think I could survive without it.
Photo hub, the online albums are a little better thought out (and hopefully more extensible to other apps/services, instagram, flickr, dropbox, etc). However, it is a less pretty and awesome :(
The icons hiding: well, on the 520 at least, things are a smidge laggy (Photos tile especially will be theme color for a few seconds before kicking into a favorite), so I'm distracted from them. I sometimes see them there and wait...and wait.

New little bit of backwards-ness to me (which was a known thing, but I hadn't tried the separate Xbox Music app)...no more heart in music playback. Just shuffle and repeat. Boo.

And SWEET MOTHER WHY?!

GAMES IN THE APP LIST.

And still listed in the now basically useless and redundant Games app/hub (it should just stripped a bit and renamed Xbox Live Profile or something).

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Can no longer mute the phone simply by hitting the volume button as I think it has been since the start of WP7, can turn vibrate on/off but not set to vibrate only (maybe put ring settings in action centre) I used to use this when getting n/off public transport. A BIG NON THANKS TO THOSE COMPLAINING ABOUT SEPERATE VOLUME CONTROLS ALL THIS TIME!

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
On my list of things I miss form 8.0

Hopefully they bring it back. I preferred the 8.0 pictures layout. The new one will take a lil getting used to.

Wish they hadnt changed it cause I thought it was perfect as it was.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Can no longer mute the phone simply by hitting the volume button as I think it has been since the start of WP7, can turn vibrate on/off but not set to vibrate only (maybe put ring settings in action centre) I used to use this when getting n/off public transport. A BIG NON THANKS TO THOSE COMPLAINING ABOUT SEPERATE VOLUME CONTROLS ALL THIS TIME!

You can mute by touching the bell and the music note.

cleverclogs

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I want FB messages back in the messaging hub!
And I want games GONE from my app list!
Sigh, so many **** changes away from what Windows Phone was supposed to be - i.e. it's no longer task-centric and is now all about apps. FFS.

Durishin

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That function is not gone, but the access to it has changed. Now, you get to it via the camera. It is now a "lens" called Bing Vision. So, open your camera (Nokia or Microsoft). In Nokia Camera, click the ellipsis and select "lenses." then Bing Vision. If you are using the Microsoft Camera app, there is a "lens" icon in the viewfinder or, if not, you can hit the ellipsis to have it show up there. Once there, select it then, Bing Vision. Unfortunately, Bing Vision does not show up in the app list so you cannot pin it and must access it through the lens function of the Camera app. Sorry, I have neither an HTC nor a Samsung to tell you how - if - it is implemented through their own camera software.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Please vote to bring the facebook integration back to the messaging hub. removing these features is a huge step backwards.
Don't Remove Facebook Integration – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

I liked the integration when it worked but the writing was on the wall with the standalone Facebook and FB messenger apps. It's not coming back. What I would rather they do is just open the messaging hub to any app to use. Being integrated ties it too much to OS updates coming from carriers, using apps lets them be a lot more flexible.

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
I liked the integration when it worked but the writing was on the wall with the standalone Facebook and FB messenger apps. It's not coming back. What I would rather they do is just open the messaging hub to any app to use. Being integrated ties it too much to OS updates coming from carriers, using apps lets them be a lot more flexible.
Wasn't this posted here as a news article some time ago that this would happen because of the changes to FB and the updates to the FB app?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon