What you LOST in WP8.1

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Not if you want them hidden.

It's a big improvement for me. Wireless connectivity, battery status and time is critical information when using the phone. Important notifications should also be added there (I'm seriously astonished that Microsoft haven't done this - yet another example of slavishly copying Apple).
However, I agree that an option to always show the notification bar, or to automatically hide, it should be added. Then we're both happy.

twentythreee

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Important notifications should also be added there (I'm seriously astonished that Microsoft haven't done this - yet another example of slavishly copying Apple).

There is a "new notifications" icon in the bar now, and you only need to drop down the action center in order to see them. I think this is quite ok and unobtrusive.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
There is a "new notifications" icon in the bar now, and you only need to drop down the action center in order to see them. I think this is quite ok and unobtrusive.

That's an improvement (and better than Apple manage), but why not put different icons depending on the type of notification? I generally want to deal with a missed call or SMS urgently, while a new e-mail in my junk account can wait. The lack of this feature in WP and iOS really mystifies me, given that pretty much every other phone on the planet does it - and not just smart phones.

paras chugh

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
can the kids corner now be accessed without a password while the the main phone screen has a password?.....i remember it being a feature revealed throught he sdk in feb

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's a big improvement for me. Wireless connectivity, battery status and time is critical information when using the phone. Important notifications should also be added there (I'm seriously astonished that Microsoft haven't done this - yet another example of slavishly copying Apple).
However, I agree that an option to always show the notification bar, or to automatically hide, it should be added. Then we're both happy.

I was going to write about about how it's a big shame some people are too lazy to reach up to the top of the screen and unhide the status bar icons but it occurred to me that maybe the reason why they don't auto-hide anymore is because the little touch gesture to bring them down would interfere with the gesture to bring down the new Action Center. If that's indeed the case then I can kind of understand why it was disabled. Doesn't make it less disheartening that a nice elegant feature of WP was taken out though.

Srvgodara

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
What happens when we press search button when cortana is not enabled, cause outside US it wont be available so i wanna know that can we search local files or same standard bing search appears.

twentythreee

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
What happens when we press search button when cortana is not enabled, cause outside US it wont be available so i wanna know that can we search local files or same standard bing search appears.

When Cortana is disabled it opens up the bing screen, which is exactly the same as on WP8.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I was going to write about about how it's a big shame some people are too lazy to reach up to the top of the screen and unhide the status bar icons but it occurred to me that maybe the reason why they don't auto-hide anymore is because the little touch gesture to bring them down would interfere with the gesture to bring down the new Action Center. If that's indeed the case then I can kind of understand why it was disabled. Doesn't make it less disheartening that a nice elegant feature of WP was taken out though.

They could easily have been made part of the action centre. BTW this does show the limitations of gesture control, and reaching up to the top of the screen isn't so easy...

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I shouldn't have said gesture because you can also currently tap the top of the screen to unhide the status bar icons. It's pretty easy to do unless you have the 1520.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
LOST MUSIC HUB!!!!! And no one seems to particularly care. Everyone seems very excited about some chick talking to them and doing for them what a few taps with your fingers will do know...how LAZY are we becoming. I would rather keep the ability to use the music software that I bought the phone for. don't know what music player you will use...and you will lose any background art you have put with files that are now played with xbox music hub. It is my understanding that this will be gone. Technically they are telling us that they can do ota updates for the music and video apps easier that way. Considering that we have only had 2 updates in the whole last year of wp8 I couldn't are less about updates...just let me keep what I have!!!!!!

twentythreee

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
LOST MUSIC HUB!!!!! And no one seems to particularly care. Everyone seems very excited about some chick talking to them and doing for them what a few taps with your fingers will do know...how LAZY are we becoming. I would rather keep the ability to use the music software that I bought the phone for. don't know what music player you will use...and you will lose any background art you have put with files that are now played with xbox music hub. It is my understanding that this will be gone. Technically they are telling us that they can do ota updates for the music and video apps easier that way. Considering that we have only had 2 updates in the whole last year of wp8 I couldn't are less about updates...just let me keep what I have!!!!!!

amen!

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
multi-tasking tab refers to the window you got when you press and hold the back button. In WP8, there is only 1 IE entry no matter how many tabs you open in IE. In WP8.1 you got multiple IE entries there.

Errrr, no... In WP8 active IE tabs already take one slot each in the multitasking view. Nothing new there.

Last edited:

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I was really used to posting to Facebook and Twitter at the same time from the "Me" tile. I don't understand that change at all.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I was really used to posting to Facebook and Twitter at the same time from the "Me" tile. I don't understand that change at all.

This would make for easier FB an Twitter updates. You won't need an entire OS update just to get your Twitter and FB up to date

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulnipes