My Nokia Lumia 1520 Heating Up After 8.1 update

Masterz1337

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I received my 1520 last week and immediately upgraded to 8.1 After about a day, my camera stopped working, a few days after it started to freeze and then non stop crashing, even after hard and soft resets. The whole time the thing was running very hot as well, but I don't know if there was a relation.

either way, it has me hesitant to do the upgrade again now that I recieved my replacement phone... but it really sucks cause 8.1 as awesome and I cant restore my text backups.

Fth DGN

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I had the similar problems with my LUMIA 1520. There was no problem until I have upgraded to US version (which have Cortana). After I get the cortana, all notifications from VIber, Skype and Whatsapp started to come late( sometimes did not get them). Turning off battery saver mode usually solves the problem. Because of the issues you mentioned, I downgraded to WP8 and now waiting Official Cyan Update from Nokia (or Microsoft :) )

ULTRA_NUUB

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
my 1520 heats up near the sim/sd slot when playing games, other than that no issues with battery or pinning cortana to start screen.
the camera has acted up since update tho, it launches itself at random times. has only happened about 3 times since update so no biggie at the moment.

ULTRA_NUUB

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
There is no official way to downgrade. THEY EMPHASIZED THIS WHEN YOU INSTALLED.
It's possible I believe, someone else who knows more can fill you in.
As for downgrading, as long as you downgrade to the same flavor (e.g. ATT flavor of WP for an ATT phone) then nobody would know you upgraded.

as far as i've heard you need to reflash your phone with a compatible/ or factory image.

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Mine is getting very warm too whereas before the update it hardly broke a sweat which leads me to think that 8.1 pushes the CPU harder

Don't think so. More like a bug. Been running 8.1 for a week and it never got warm. Yesterday suddenly it did and I wasn't even using it. After reboot and software reset it went away which leads me to think it's a bug.

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I received my 1520 last week and immediately upgraded to 8.1 After about a day, my camera stopped working, a few days after it started to freeze and then non stop crashing, even after hard and soft resets. The whole time the thing was running very hot as well, but I don't know if there was a relation.

either way, it has me hesitant to do the upgrade again now that I recieved my replacement phone... but it really sucks cause 8.1 as awesome and I cant restore my text backups.

Did you do a hard reset? It's almost a must or else you get strange problems. I'm running 8.1 and no major issue here.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I have upgraded my Nokia Lumia 1520 to win mobile 8.1 about 1 week ago. I am happy with the available new features. But yet I face some annoying bugz with it.

1. Phone hung often. Restart it using power key also not working properly on such time.
2. Touch screen is horrible. "Swipe" is detected as "Tap" most of the times and it opens unwanted applications ( this happened in 8.0 too)
3. Some times screen does not unlock with the power button. Also cannot lock it using power button.
4. If you double tap on your gallery photo using two fingers, it will zoom the screen, but you can not zoom out it. when u go to home.all the home tiles also zoomed. You can see huge tiles and huge letters. Restart the device is the work around. So much annoying.
5. I use automatic screen brightness. When I go under sunlight, fb photos and chat photos of other users showing in very very high contrast. ( like a negative)
6. Sometime whole screen goes like a negative for 1-3 seconds and back to normal soon.
7. Sometimes wifi or data network does not work. you need to switch it off and on again to make it work.
8. Most of the time Viber, Gmail, Whatsapp, FB chat lag so slow and hung. you cannot save pics sent by whatsapp sometimes. It shows the download icon, but never download.
9. Notification for most of viber chats are receiving about 15mins later of the real chat appear.
10. FB application is not optimized as wished. No integration of "FEELING" option under posting a status. to see some comments, you need to press icons hardly few times to open.
11. Browser shows the web site is loading and completed loading. But still showing a pure white screen. nothing else. This happens often on chrome and internet explorer too.
12. Yes obviously battery life reduced for like 5-6 hours of standby and phone is hot sometimes.
13. As a summary, most of the applications lags, hungs and super slow. Now also my GMAIL app hung and gonna restart the phone :unhappy:

I am a previous Android user and I miss the fast response of Android OS most of the time. But I still love Lumia design , rich look and Cam quality.

Hope the official win mob 8.1 update will give answers to all of the bugz. :smile:

Please share your thoughts if you are also facing these issues.

so far ive only had bad battery life , heating and that negative bug along with weird pink scan type lines on the screen
im experiencing these issue on my 720, havent updated my 820 yet

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Don't think so. More like a bug. Been running 8.1 for a week and it never got warm. Yesterday suddenly it did and I wasn't even using it. After reboot and software reset it went away which leads me to think it's a bug.

Do you have either WiFi sense or Cortana live tile?

Scott MacMurdo

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Loaded 8.1 last week on my L1520, and love the features. With that said, I immediately noticed that it was running super hot and is just ripping through battery life. Before the update, I could easily get through my day without having to plug in. Now I have to charge after the first 5 or so hours of use. Have gone through every app and have taken off background function. Zero live tiles running. Embarrassed to say that I just now had to look up how to do a reset (volume down/power button). Will come back with update.

Question: Is this damaging my battery and affecting its lifespan? That's not cool, if it is.

jive_inc

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I have found that after reading many 1520 comments that it seems not one shoe fits all. My 1520 also heated up (including today). However, I was on vacation and noticed it heated up a lot when I had WiFi on. I have since turned it off and that worked for me. The one thing that I do see (and have read) is that there is definitely some "program/app" that is hanging causing the heat up. Sorry I do not have an answer but turning of the WiFi worked for me.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
you could always downgrade if your only facing heating issues on 8.1 ;-) I had battery drain on my 1020 and no matter what I done it was still much worse then 8.0 so I downgraded and battery is much much better again ;-)

at the end of the day its a preview and is meant for devs to develop/test their apps ready for 8.1 release ;-) for a daily driver it will face things like battery drain and over heating and instability as some apps will be coded for 8.1 some wont be , there will be conflicts with some apps and some settings , I wouldn't be surprised if de-bugging was running somewhere in the background and we all have different apps and different set ups so we will all face different problems ;-)

rajamass

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have found that after reading many 1520 comments that it seems not one shoe fits all. My 1520 also heated up (including today). However, I was on vacation and noticed it heated up a lot when I had WiFi on. I have since turned it off and that worked for me. The one thing that I do see (and have read) is that there is definitely some "program/app" that is hanging causing the heat up. Sorry I do not have an answer but turning of the WiFi worked for me.

+1

​I noticed random heating issues when wi-fi is turned on

GazooAz

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
My 1520 was heating up after update, found the culprit was a battery monitoring app. I have tried 3 different battery apps and they all make my phone drain like crazy, so i uninstalled it and now have now issues with drain or heat.

Syed Athar

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Dear csw43,

many thanks for a link. I have downloaded the recovery software & the OS has also downloaded & installed into my 1520 but it cannot be finish the installation & required to restart the device but my device did not start & its showing only Nokia logo. Can you please advise another option to recover the OS because now the phone is dead :(

csw43

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Dear csw43,

many thanks for a link. I have downloaded the recovery software & the OS has also downloaded & installed into my 1520 but it cannot be finish the installation & required to restart the device but my device did not start & its showing only Nokia logo. Can you please advise another option to recover the OS because now the phone is dead :(

Hello Syed

The Nokia Software Recovery Tool gives you an option to connect a phone that will " not respond or turn on " you could try that but before just try a Hard Reset with the 3 button combination :
1. Turn your Lumia 1520 off.
2. Press Volume DOWN and keep pressing it while you connect the charger until you see an exclamation mark!.
3. Press – in this order – Volume UP – Volume DOWN – POWER – VOLUME DOWN.
4. Your phone will reset and reboot. Pls be patient during the reset process.

Im sorry you've had problems, ive now restored 5 different handsets using that tool

Good Luck

amorek13

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Remove your Memory card and see if it helps give it some time, mine was heating up like crazy, sluggish, after replacing memory card only heats up when downloading large files

Sent from my RM-938_lta_lta_905 using Tapatalk

James Jiao

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Same here. It randomly heats up sometimes when it's in sleep mode and as a consequence, it chews through battery like there is no tomorrow. I haven't been able to find a pattern in whether it does this when a particular app is open, but it does seem to do that more often when it's connected to wifi. Nokia lumia 1520.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes