Data sense question

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
So I configured the phone for someone. She has 500mb data per month. I have put the monthly data limit at 500mb. Will data sense automatically turn off the mobile data connection or simply give a warning to turn it off yourself. I want to be absolutely sure she doesn't go over her limit.

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I have not hit the limit since I got it (Stupid AT&T), however, from what I understand, it wont outright turn the data off. It should start restricting an apps ability to run data in the background. Depending on the settings, of course. It will allow you to go over, but it's not going to be silent and passive about it.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have not hit the limit since I got it (Stupid AT&T), however, from what I understand, it wont outright turn the data off. It should start restricting an apps ability to run data in the background. Depending on the settings, of course. It will allow you to go over, but it's not going to be silent and passive about it.

Thank you for your answer but I'm going to need a more precise answer from someone who knows what happens exactly.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
He is right. It just tries to reduce the data usage.

You find more details If you read the datasense settings! There is a button as well with more information!

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
He is right. It just tries to reduce the data usage.

You find more details If you read the datasense settings! There is a button as well with more information!

But will she get a warning, a popup or something, when 500mb is reached so that she can turn off mobile data manually then?

Or is the warning sooner, like around 450mb?

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Set the data limit very low to test what it does? Also, to be cautious set it at 400mb (after your test) to give her some wiggle room.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hm I think there is no warning, I reached it a few times and cant remember. But you can pin datasense and you will see a shield icon on the tile when its active

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I just tested it, you get a notification that tells you can go to Settings to turn off data. Disappointed it cant do it automatically. But this is WP8.1
I need to now if WP8 also gives a notification, but I can't test it.... can anyone?

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
At least it gives you a warning. Didn't know that...but 3 clicks to turn it off isn't a big deal once in a month. ...ok, twice, you have to turn it on again :)

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
At least it gives you a warning. Didn't know that...but 3 clicks to turn it off isn't a big deal once in a month. ...ok, twice, you have to turn it on again :)

It is a big deal, because when you play a youtube vid and it reaches 500mb, by the time you have turned it off, it might have buffered many mb's already. It should automatically shut down data.. that would be the best.

But still, I need to know if WP8 also gives a notification is data limit is reached..

mohammed yasir

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
WP8 will give the notification and restricts the background data usage, almost similar to when we turn on the battery saver. It will give notification whenever she turn on the mobile data. It will not turn off, still a small amount will b used, like max 1 or 2mb

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes