Answers to questions asked earlier regarding WP8.1 Dev Preview.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a couple of questions which I wanted to ask. Here they are :

1) If I have apps and games installed onto the SD card and if I do a hard reset, do they all get wiped out from the SD card or they still remain there?
2) If I format the SD card, do I format using FST32 or NTFS ?
3) Once WP8.1 is available over the air, will we get the update ? If Yes, will it remove the Dev preview and install a fresh copy of the final version or just install the patches and bug fixes ?

Last edited:

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Couple of questions regarding WP8.1 Dev Preview. Please help..

Can not answer first 2 questions ( I have a lumia 920 ). You will get the OS update from Microsoft and firmware update from Nokia. OS update will include bug fixes and improvements whee as firmware update (cyan update ) will mostly include new drivers , tweaks and new apps. No it won't delete any of your data , it would be a OTA update. Same as we had for GDR3/ black update.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

When you do a hard reset using Settings/About/Reset Phone, you have the option of deleting the content on the SD card but you don't have to. Any particular reason why you want to format it?

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

When you do a hard reset using Settings/About/Reset Phone, you have the option of deleting the content on the SD card but you don't have to. Any particular reason why you want to format it?
Because after having a SanDisk Ultra class 10 SD card with 30MB/s read speed, some games are lagging at times.

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

I bought a Sony Ultra Class 10 SD card with 40mb/s and son games lag for me. When I play Jetpack joyride the gun jetpack sound goes on and off. 521

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

1) If I have apps and games installed onto the SD card and if I do a hard reset, do they all get wiped out from the SD card or they still remain there?
3) Once WP8.1 is available over the air, will we get the update ? If Yes, will it remove the Dev preview and install a fresh copy of the final version or just install the patches and bug fixes ?

1) I would be concerned to a degree if the hard reset didn't erase apps from the SD. If you removed it, the clean phone probably won't deal with those apps. Now I don't know for sure, this is speculation from my end, but if anyone with an SD wants to check it out, feel free.

2) Recommended FAT32, that's the standard. If you have to ask, you probably don't need NTFS.

3) Yep, you will receive the official bits and pieces. You will be bumped to the official release and appropriate firmware, indistinguishable from a non-DP phone for the most part. Until the next DP release that is. :)

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

2 and 3 all had answer
For the first one if you do a hard reset the apps will stay over there but they wont be useful as the encryption key use while installing those apps will change after you hard reset your cell.
You will need to reinstall all those apps.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

Here are the answers to the questions I had asked. After doing a hard reset I tough of sharing it with the rest of you :

1) As rightly stated by Maaz Mansori, when we do a reset using Settings --> About --> Reset Phone we get an option (check box) to deleting the content on the SD card. This wipes out everything installed apps, games as well as music, videos, pics etc.

2) As xandros9 suggested, I formatted the SD card using FAT32 file system with 128Kilobytes allocation and installation onto the SD card is fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes