Limited Wi-Fi issues.

xArgieboy

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone, i'm seeking help about Wi-Fi connection on my Lumia 720 with 8.1DP. Everything works fine but, time to time, I have "limited" Wi-fi (it connects to the network but doesn't have internet conection). In other devices works well such as Lumia 710 or a notebook so is not my Wi-fi modem/router. I thought it was because of the date at first (like twitter doesn't work when you have date+time wrong) but now I set up everything and still happens. Any ideas? Thanks very much.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried standard troubleshooting things like a soft reset? (press and hold power + volume down until the phone restarts)

(Random note - I think the "limited" Wi-Fi text is new in 8.1, I don't think I've ever seen it on my 920 pre-8.1 on my schools often-flaky network. Although my laptop often complained. Anyone confirm?)

xArgieboy

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
@xandros9 Exactly. I don't know if in WP8.0 happened since the Wi-Fi connected icon didn't show up all the time like in 8.1 and didn't have the action center to do a fast look at the connection.

@PepperdotNet I just wait a little bit and it fixes by itself after a while.

Lackooo

May 19, 2014
Visit site
After updated to 8.1 my phone always has a weak Wifi signal, from 1 to 2 bars. On 8.0 always had a full signal strenght in my apartment. Now, I'm about 2-3 meters from my router, and the signal on the phone is weak. Why is this?

Last edited:

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
After updated to 8.1 my phone always has a weak Wifi signal, from 1 to 2 marks. On 8.0 always had a full signal strenght in my apartment. Now, I'm about 2-3 meters from my router, and the signal on the phone is weak. Why is this?

The signal bar doesn't work in 8.0. Reportedly 8.1 fixed it and now reports the real signal strength your phone sees.

Lackooo

May 19, 2014
Visit site
The signal bar doesn't work in 8.0. Reportedly 8.1 fixed it and now reports the real signal strength your phone sees.

No, it was perfect in 8.0, now am about 2-3 meters from my router, and have only 1-2 bars? Noo way. I watch my router's signal strength in inSSider, i have -31dB at the smae place, thats more then enough to show a full bar on the phone.

rck1993

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem when I first updated my L925 to 8.1 DP..... but after doing the update which came a few weeks back for WP 8.1 DP......its working properly...

Lackooo

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Another big problem on 8.1 is if I switch on/off the phone, or just enable airplane mode, and disable it, data sense shows +1MB cellular data everytime when I'm on Wifi.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
In 8.0 the WiFi indicator at the top of the start screen only showed that WiFi was connected/connecting. It always showed 'full' when connected at any strength as it was not a strength indicator. Only the indicator on the WiFi settings page showed signal strength.

Now on 8.1 the indicator on the start screen does show signal strength. Make sure you are comparing the WiFi settings page indicator on 8 to the reading on 8.1 or you will get the wrong impression of what's going on.

Sounds like you do have an issue though. I'd try rebooting the router, soft resetting the phone, then if still having issues hard resetting it. Also, try messing with your router settings (see your router help forum for assistance with that).

Lackooo

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I have no connection/connection speed issues, I just say that signal indicator shows false information I think. Oh, and I need to turn off cellular data before I switch off the phone, idk why is this on 8.1, but data sense shows +1MB data usage everytime when I turn it off/on.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm having lots of wifi connectivity issues, including the "Limited- No internet available" problem.

Also having a lot of trouble with weak signals. We can say all we want that the meter is now just reading properly, but there's no reason that a router only a few yards from me should be barely registering, and at times impossible to connect to.

These are all routers I had no issues with before updating, btw.

xArgieboy

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
As now is fully updated, it does show the correct strenght I guess. When i'm here on the PC, since the router is here the Wi-Fi signal is full, but if I go to my room that even though has maybe 1 or 2 walls between the living room and that room is REALLY close. Practically next to each other and the strenght of the signal drops significantly.

As for the limited Wi-Fi issues is not solved and now I do have to turn it off/on to make it work again.

For data everything's fine I guess.

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 continually has issues, increasingly more lately. It's not my worker phone, so it mostly sits on my desk. But just about every day, it loses internet connectivity. I turn WIFI off and back on, but nothing. Even with just LTE, still no internet. I have a "IP checker" that shows my public IP so I know if my phone is on LTE or WIFI, but it won't show an IP. When I pull down the control center, the phone locks up. Restart it, and WIFI and internet are fine.

I don't have a lot on it, and I don't change it much, so not sure what has changed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon