Why would anyone buy a non-Nokia Windows Phone?

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Having started my Windows Phone journey with an HTC 8X, I have also picked up Lumia 520s and a 925. When I got the first Lumia, I was stunned to see all the add-ons Nokia provides for (most of) their products (Glance, Music, other apps, etc).

I have really enjoyed my HTC 8X, but as I get ready to buy a Lumia Icon, I find myself wondering what would be the advantages to buying anything other than a Nokia/MS device now? Is there something obvious I am missing?

My only reason: I could get the 8X for less than even used Lumia 900 with WP 7... Now that I have a 925, I will never go back to HTC :p

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I have never owned a Nokia, so the Lumia brand a no special value for me, when i buy a phone i want 4G, Micro-SIM and SD Card, AFAIK this limit me to the Lumia 625, 630 and 1320.

The 1320 is too big and heavy compared to my Galaxy Note 3, the 625 and 630 are a little subpar in screen resolution, i have 800x480 on my HTC Desire in 2010, for this screen size i will probably don't go below 1280x768.

Tried WP7 some years ago, it was a HTC HD7, i wait to see more choice before trying WP8, i will probably play with something from HTC, Samsung and Sony once they are available in the showroom of my favorite shop.

you do realize you are comparing a flagship phone with a budget phone

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Personally I don't like Nokia windows phones because:

1. It does not have loud music output (like my 8s has).
2. I don't like round edges on their phones, and I don't have big hands so I can't use their phones over 4.3 inches (that has sharp edges).
3. There is no lightweight Nokia windows phone, nothing under 135g (8s is like a feather)

There is no perfect windows phone for me but HTC 8s does it's job for now very well. Only disadvantage is 5mpx camera

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
For me, with the existing hardware out the differences between Nokia and the others is still relatively small. That's why there is room for other OEMs to come up with signature hardware features.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Alot of reasons, the Lumias have given me nothing but headaches. I would much prefer an ATIV SE or HTC One M8 running 8.1. Hell I'll even take a Xperia Z variant.

You may get your wish there, I've heard that the HTC W8 is supposedly an M8 running WP8.1 complete with the dual cameras.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Other than the reason I gave earlier in this thread I wouldn't have a Nokia Windows Phone due to manufacturing issues like dust in the FFC, overheating, unresponsive touchscreens and the yellow screen discoloration I've seen on Lumia 520s. Those are fixable though so they are nothing major.

What pushed me away from Nokia completely though was the lack of a high end device with a removable battery and SD Card slot, at least at the time I got my ATIV S. They now have high end devices with an SD Card slot, however they still don't have a high end device with a removable battery.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Other than the reason I gave earlier in this thread I wouldn't have a Nokia Windows Phone due to manufacturing issues like dust in the FFC, overheating, unresponsive touchscreens and the yellow screen discoloration I've seen on Lumia 520s. Those are fixable though so they are nothing major.

What pushed me away from Nokia completely though was the lack of a high end device with a removable battery and SD Card slot, at least at the time I got my ATIV S. They now have high end devices with an SD Card slot, however they still don't have a high end device with a removable battery.

Have had 0 issues with amy of my Nokia wp's but I agree removable battery should be an option.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Have had 0 issues with amy of my Nokia wp's but I agree removable battery should be an option.

To be fair it's only really a small percentage of devices that have those issues and they are generally quickly rectified. A non removable battery means that a high end Nokia WP is an automatic no go for me, which is a shame as the 930 looks like a really nice device.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
When WP8 came out, if you wanted a high end phone you could use in one hand, you really only had one choice, the 8X, due to Nokias love of big bezels, and Samsungs love of phonezillas.

Then the 925 came out...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
There are lemons when it comes to technology. Fortunately, the only ones I've gotten is when I've bought pre-owned phones. So I haven't experienced those issues with the Lumia 810, 920 or 925 I've owned.

Still, I'm at a point where for my needs, it's audio playback, camera as my top two needs and in that order. If Nokia offers both in the next round of hardware, then I'll chuck both my 925 and 8X for one device. But if a non Nokia device offers great audio and a capable (but not great) camera, I'll buy it. More importantly, MSFT needs to continue to refine the multimedia offerings in the OS as ****ty software on good hardware equals an underwhelming experience.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I hope Nokia does not start appeasing the people wanting high end phone with removable batteries. I dont want to see removable batteries on Lumia because they will mess with the design

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I hope Nokia does not start appeasing the people wanting high end phone with removable batteries. I dont want to see removable batteries on Lumia because they will mess with the design
They can indeed do this.

Take note of the 820, the 62x line, the 63x line and the 52x line. All look great, and still adhere to Nokia's design language.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Because the HTC 8X was a damn beautiful device - it out Nokia'd Nokia. The limitations are what did it in - 8 or 16gb storage w NO sdCard, the camera was subpar. I bought the Lumia 920, because of the 32gb onboard & coming from a Nokia Symbian device (N8) the camera.

Removal battery - hmmmm, the reason there are non-removable batteries is, they can cram more power / capacity into the same space (and to a lesser extent, it's prolly cheaper). Think about that when you complain of a non-removable battery.

I currently own the Lumia 1520 because it was the best device for my needs. My wife needed to replace her iPhone & liked my phone better. Thought about buying another Lumia 920, for her, but gave her mine & got the Lumia 1520. It's BIG, for about a week, then everything else is small. Fits in my pocket (front or back), the 6" screen is a viewing delight. The camera, sdCard slot & processor (GPU) are plusses. Minuses include the lack of QI charging (AT&T model) and to a minor extent, it's big.

For the future, the HTC W8, LG Uni8 or the upcoming Samsung WinPhone flagship may eclipse the Lumia (MSFT) line...
For NOW, my Lumia 1520 should cover me for the next 12 - 18 months (prolly right up to WinPhone 9). I do currently luv my phablet..

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Because the HTC 8X was a damn beautiful device - it out Nokia'd Nokia. The limitations are what did it in - 8 or 16gb storage w NO sdCard, the camera was subpar. I bought the Lumia 920, because of the 32gb onboard & coming from a Nokia Symbian device (N8) the camera.

Removal battery - hmmmm, the reason there are non-removable batteries is, they can cram more power / capacity into the same space (and to a lesser extent, it's prolly cheaper). Think about that when you complain of a non-removable battery.

I currently own the Lumia 1520 because it was the best device for my needs. My wife needed to replace her iPhone & liked my phone better. Thought about buying another Lumia 920, for her, but gave her mine & got the Lumia 1520. It's BIG, for about a week, then everything else is small. Fits in my pocket (front or back), the 6" screen is a viewing delight. The camera, sdCard slot & processor (GPU) are plusses. Minuses include the lack of QI charging (AT&T model) and to a minor extent, it's big.

For the future, the HTC W8, LG Uni8 or the upcoming Samsung WinPhone flagship may eclipse the Lumia (MSFT) line...
For NOW, my Lumia 1520 should cover me for the next 12 - 18 months (prolly right up to WinPhone 9). I do currently luv my phablet..

Only if 8X had SD card slot or more memory and OIS, I'd go with it anyday..

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I have never owned a Nokia, so the Lumia brand a no special value for me, when i buy a phone i want 4G, Micro-SIM and SD Card, AFAIK this limit me to the Lumia 625, 630 and 1320.

The 1320 is too big and heavy compared to my Galaxy Note 3, the 625 and 630 are a little subpar in screen resolution, i have 800x480 on my HTC Desire in 2010, for this screen size i will probably don't go below 1280x768.

And 1520. But i understand you don't like the size. I own both a Note 2 and a 1520 and i see what you mean. However, try to compare the screen of a Galaxy Note 3 and that of a 1520, for movies, pics and daylight. You'll probably be sold on Nokia. One second later you'll be angry at the apps WP is missing :).

xchange

Banned
Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
The only way I will switch from Nokia smartphones, if Sony make a killer Windows Phone that include all high end capabilities including integration of IR. Sony can do a twin of the Xperia Z2 but with WP 8.1 and guarantee that will be my future upgrade.

Anything based of the Z2 would be full of win. That phone knocked it out of the park this year.

VxOC

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
My WP journey started with Huawei and the build quality was horrible. I then made my mind up to switch to the Lumia 620 and with all the extra apps I loved it and then I'm now on the 630 and love that too. The only reason I bought the huawei w1 was

1.) Cost. At the time it was cheaper than the 520.
2.) Specs, it had a flash, 1.2 ghz dual core processor and various other things that the 520 didn't .

I did miss out on mix radio and various other apps and that's the main reason I came over the Lumia. Ooo and the fact my huawei burnt out after heavy use. LOL!

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Something is coming this fall... They are calling it the W8 in the leaks, but I think it is more of a Desire 816 revamped with WP 8.1...

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
If the Sony Xperia Z2 on Android is any indication then a Sony WP would warrant solid competition to NokiSoft for me. My next phone is either gonna be the McLaren or the Sony WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2