Avoid multiple tabs on IE?

Hamberthm

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys!

Just a little thing that bothers me every single day I use my phone, and that I can't figure how to resolve it; every once in a while I check the open tabs on IE using the tabs button, and I realize there's a lot of open tabs. I can't understand how the system handles new tabs and it keeps opening new ones in the background over and over, of course consuming resources of the phone.

Any ideas on how to disable the auto-opening of new tabs?

Thanks!

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
settings->applications->Internet Explorer->advanced settings->check if open links from other apps> set to use current tab.

Some applications may still end up opening a new tab. But that should cut them down alot

When a tab's open in background they do not consume resources, they are stopped from running. Only when you bring them back up do they require a refresh and resume where they are.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Is there anyway present now in wp8 to open a new tab in background ?instead of getting bumped to the new tab while browsing a page.
If not is that feature present in wp8.1?

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Try pressing the back button right after opening a link in a new tab, and report back
what purpose does that serve.yeah u get bumped to the newly opened tab and when u press back u go to the previous thing u were on.
Point is there needs to be a open in background option so u can open it while reading same page.

AliNSiddiqui

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
what purpose does that serve.yeah u get bumped to the newly opened tab and when u press back u go to the previous thing u were on.
Point is there needs to be a open in background option so u can open it while reading same page.

After you press the back button, doesn't that keep the new tab opened? Couldn't you open a tab, press back, continue reading, then switch to the new tab as you wish?

Yes, this is just a workaround and Microsoft should add an option, but wouldn't this work?

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
After you press the back button, doesn't that keep the new tab opened? Couldn't you open a tab, press back, continue reading, then switch to the new tab as you wish?

Yes, this is just a workaround and Microsoft should add an option, but wouldn't this work?
yeah i can switch back to the tab i was reading by pressing back..point is "open a new tab in background" so i dont have to switch back...that the new opened tab will be loading in background without bumping me to it..i hope u got the idea..

that feature is there in mobile chrome and safari ..i dont know how microsoft missed it..
again point is i shouldnt have to switch back to the tab i was reading..

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
It's a little-known fact that you can use the Task Switcher (long-press on the <back> button, click their little "x"s) to close tabs in IE.

It's an even littler-known fact that tabs that you close with the Task Switcher in this manner will come back the next time you start IE. This was the cause of my "Hey, I thought I CLOSED that!" confusion - maybe the Original Poster's too?

When you close tabs by going to the Tabs screen and clicking the little "x"s on the thumbnails, they stay closed.

(New behavior in 8.1 from 8.0 - don't know if it's a bug or a feature.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes