With 8.1 GM no SMS read over bluetooth

mike.strock

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I had 8.1 Developer preview. When I had my bluetooth headset on, it would read my incoming SMS messages in my ear and I could respond to them. I reset my phone yesterday (1520, AT&T) and got the GM release of 8.1 and this functionality no longer works.

I can SEND SMS messages via bluetooth, and I get a tone in my ear, but it does not ask me if I want to read the message, nor does it announce the incoming SMS.

Is there a setting I need to change somewhere I haven't found?

I use this functionality a *lot*.

Thanks.

​Mike.

mike.strock

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
settings->Speech->read aloud is set to always on. Text to speech voice Female. Allow speech above lock is checked and Enable speech Recognition Service is checked as well.

​I tried it with Read Aloud set to Bluetooth Headset which made no difference.

mike.strock

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
This is definitely a problem with 8.1 GM. I restored my phone using the Nokia tool, installed the Dev Preview build and SMS via Bluetooth is back to reading the SMS in my ear.

​Mike.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
No problem here. Worked exactly like DP 8.1.

First, make sure you ARE on Cyan 8.1. There were two updates need to be applied. First one is just a 8.0 update that need to be installed before you can apply the real 8.1/Cyan update.

Second, depending on your BT devices. If you device supports both hands free and A2DP, it should work OOB. However, if your device only supports hands free profile, you need check the advanced BT settings (use alternative audio connection....). That is a new settings in 8.1 (DP as well) and only with that checked, you will receive BT SMS read over the hands free BT headset. Without it, it will only read SMS over A2DP profile.

mike.strock

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Previously, with the developer preview releases, it was working great. I received update 1 today, and have lost the functionality. Current build number is 8.10.14147.180 . Under speech, I have 'Bluetooth Only' and female and english and 'Allow Speech above Lock' checked.

Under Bluetooth, I have 'Jabra Classic v0.5.0' and it says 'connected voice, music'
Under Advanced, I have 'Use alternative Bluetooth Audio connection for speech'. I did not have this checked before, but it wasn't working with the build I received today, so I just checked it. No change in the functionality, it still does not work.

I have a Jabra Classic headset. Worked fine previously.

​Mike.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Since your BT device says 'Connected voice, music', it supports A2DP and hence don't need the alternative connection method.

No problem here still even after today's update to DP 8.1 Update 1.
Seems to be a compatibility with your particular BT device and the phone.

mike.strock

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My apologies for bringing this issue up. Apparently, it is an issue with my Bluetooth headset. I tried a different headset today and it is working. Disappointing (to me) that it worked in the preview release and not the GM or the update shipped today, but I guess I can't expect a whole lot from a $15 Bluetooth headset.

Thank you for those who told me it worked. Really thought it was the software, but given how long I've been in this industry, I should have known better.

Live and learn. Again.

​Mike.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo