Error 8018830f when installing 8.1 Cyan on Lumia 1520

geminiy

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
The update downloads successfully and starts installing, then when it gets to 13% it gives me error 8018830f.
  • I was abroad in Poland when I first tried the install, but I am getting the same error now that I'm back in the US.
  • I tried restarting my phone and trying again
  • I tried soft resetting my phone (volume down + power for 10 seconds) and trying again

Any ideas? I would rather not hard reset my phone since I want to keep all my data, etc... is that the only logical next thing to try?

Thanks

geminiy

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded the software recovery tool (Nokia Software Updater for Retail 4.2.1), but the only option it gives me is to re-install the current software (version 1028.3562.1407.1001). If I do this, "Personal content on the phone will be erased during the installation".

Should I save all my stuff and try this? Or is there anything else I can try? Thanks.

geminiy

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I tried switching to English (UK) and Spanish and re-installing, and both times it seems to have just re-installed 8.0. I got the gears and all the screens I'd expect to see for an OS update, but when I went to "About" it said 8.0 was still installed. Now I'm getting error 8018830f error again.

geminiy

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
No helpful info in that app for error 8018830f, unfortunately. Looks like I will need to try the Nokia Software Updater tool... although I'm not sure even that will work, since it says I already have the latest version.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I tried switching to English (UK) and Spanish and re-installing, and both times it seems to have just re-installed 8.0. I got the gears and all the screens I'd expect to see for an OS update, but when I went to "About" it said 8.0 was still installed. Now I'm getting error 8018830f error again.

Did you try removing English (US) after changing languages?

geminiy

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean "removing English"?

I tried a factory reset then updating, but I still get the same error.

Should I try the Nokia Software Updater ? Or is that only for devices that do not boot up?

Last edited:

geminiy

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Alright --- I finally got it to work!!!

I downloaded the Nokia Software Updater for Retail 4.1.0, and updated to the 4.2.1 version which it prompted for. I plugged my phone in and clicked "Reinstall" - it said "install failed" and the only option was to "Recover". At this point my phone was stuck on a black screen with "NOKIA" in big text. To get the "Recover" to work, I had to unplug & replug my phone in. This reinstalled 8.0. I was then able to a newer version of 8.0, then again to 8.1. A bit scary, and probably not the proper way to do it, but the only other option was to send it in to Nokia... which is a hassle. My phone is under warranty anyway so I figured it was worth a shot (even though technically this probably voids my warranty).

8.1 4 Lyfe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes