Websites now think I have Android (IE on WP 8.1 update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Stealth move, MS secretly wants us all to move to ios and android! :). But seriously this looks like it could turn into a major problem, I see another preview update in our future....

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I have to say I wasn't too happy when I read that they were going to change the user agent to disguise as Android since some web developers are dumb.

Edit: just noticed that the user agent string has references to WP, Android, ARM, IEMobile, iPhone, Mac OS, AppleWebKit, and Safari, hehehe :|

anon(8171782)

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Those messages is coming from the site you are on.maybe the person or coder couldn't detect ur Os and just guess its android. Once it cany be recognized.

anon(8171782)

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
The site is not tricked, the site developer couldn't find a better way of detecting the browser,this is a very tricky thing to do, and i don't know hy people implement such feature on their site.,since ur os is new and the ie version might be too.

AnestisL820

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
This thing was shown to me even with WP 8.0 ... I believe it is not the update but the site itself as Clemelon said.. It does not recognize the browser and assumes that it is an android device...

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This is really nothing to make a fuss about. You're on a developer preview on WP 8.1, so you should have signed up knowing that MS would be tinkering about with all aspects of the OS - even the browser. We know they've been updating the browser and specifically the way IE on WP renders websites. If something here is broken or not behaving as it should be, MS will update it in the next Developer Preview update most likely. Otherwise the website you're visiting is incorrectly detecting the browser, which isn't something MS can fix - it's the problem of the developer of that website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes