Huawei is putting a hold on new Windows Phones, thinks Tizen is DOA

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
This is sad news for windows phone fans. I was counting on these Chinese OEMs to push WP sales at aggressive price points to unsuspecting users. Looks like it is not gonna happen.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
This is sad news for windows phone fans. I was counting on these Chinese OEMs to push WP sales at aggressive price points to unsuspecting users. Looks like it is not gonna happen.

I'll be fair though and say that they really only made one handset for us a year, and they haven't launched a new one since 8.1, which opened up new possibilities for them to not have to spend as much. Still, if your biggest OEM is only #11, this doesn't look great. LG and Lenovo need to get their phones to market pronto.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
When you don't put a great effort into a product, unless the product is revolutionary, it can't sell itself.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I'll be fair though and say that they really only made one handset for us a year, and they haven't launched a new one since 8.1, which opened up new possibilities for them to not have to spend as much. Still, if your biggest OEM is only #11, this doesn't look great. LG and Lenovo need to get their phones to market pronto.

I'd love to see a LG G3 based windows phone.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't put much weight on this news. They are calling Tizen dead too and while I agree that Tizen stands very little chance to put a dent in the market, they have a major company Samsung behind it. There are many other OEMs signed for WP besides Huawei and Huawei has its own set of issues. Their hardware is garbage anyway and they made a mistake releasing other phones to the U.S and other countries who care more about quality than China does as it has given Huawei a pretty bad reputation. I see the recent release of the HTC One M8 for Windows as a very positive sign that there is value in Windows Phone. Hopefully Samsung realizes this too once they realize that Tizen will be more difficult to push than Windows Phone and decides to do the same with their Galaxy flagships as HTC has done.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't put much weight on this news. They are calling Tizen dead too and while I agree that Tizen stands very little chance to put a dent in the market, they have a major company Samsung behind it. There are many other OEMs signed for WP besides Huawei and Huawei has its own set of issues. Their hardware is garbage anyway and they made a mistake releasing other phones to the U.S and other countries who care more about quality than China does as it has given Huawei a pretty bad reputation. I see the recent release of the HTC One M8 for Windows as a very positive sign that there is value in Windows Phone. Hopefully Samsung realizes this too once they realize that Tizen will be more difficult to push than Windows Phone and decides to do the same with their Galaxy flagships as HTC has done.

Huawei is to Asia what Samsung is to US. Infact Samsung is important globally too. I agree that Samsung needs to bring out a Windows Phone Flagship and with same might, carrier support and marketing as they do for their Android flagships. That said, Huawei is an emerging King in Asia and now that they are more focused on smartphones, Huawei-made windows phones might have helped our cause alot.
Still, they haven't ruled out windows phone completely. His exact words were "even with windows phone it is difficult". Which we all know ofcourse. I hope with current rate of progress with OS, we might win them back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes