How to sort music files by filename instead of song name?

martinerous

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I have some audio books which have filenames like follows:
001_book_name.mp3
002_book_name.mp3
099_book_name.mp3

When I copy the folder with these files to my phone, XBOX Music app and Nokia Mixradio both show the files like this:
Author - Book Name
Author - Book Name
Author - Book Name
Author - Book Name

I started to listen to the audiobook and at first everything seemed ok, but then I noticed that the player has skipped a file. Now the problem - I don't see actual mp3 file names anywhere in the player, so I have no idea which file was skipped. This now drives me crazy - I cannot even sort by filenames to make them in correct order, and if I decided to listen to some song, I cannot also resume the audiobook from some earlier point because player doesn't give me any clue which mp3 file I am listening to.

Is there any way to force any of Windows Phone players to use physical filenames instead of MP3 ID tag info?

Now when Microsoft has more or less allowed 3rd party app access to the file system on WP8.1, maybe there are any alternative audio players which show folders and filenames instead of artists, albums and songs? I tried Moliplayer, but "all music" folder is empty there.

martinerous

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Files app almost worked - it helps finding correct files, but there is another problem - it doesn't play next file automatically, so now I have to manually open each new chapter of the audiobook.

martinerous

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Moliplayer did not work - somehow it shows empty "all music" folder. Maybe I'll have to reinstall it because of WP 8.1.
Folder Play looks like exactly what I need, thanks. At first it said that the folder is empty, but after I confirmed it, it scanned the folder and found my all mp3 files.

martinerous

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Well, today I discovered that Folder Play also forgets last position after I close it. And while playing, it uses the same old default phone player - the same UI and thus again no file name displayed, but information from mp3 tag. So, this is one more thing I regret after moving from Android - a lack of solid audio player which can be configured to preserve last playback position and also which supports custom ordering and displays physical file name.
Maybe I'll create such an app myself. I'm just not sure about mp3 license - if I am allowed to use custom mp3 decoder like lamemp3 in my app if device itself is mp3 licensed. I guess, Windows phone should have "built-in" mp3 license.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism