What's holding you from leaving windows phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hakeem Greeen

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Android has more apps but seems more buggy and unstable and iPhones are too expensive and aren't impact resistant. I've dropped my Lumia 635 Bunch of times. If I had an iPhone I'd be on my 10th about now lol.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Before answering
- I own a Galaxy note 4 and a Lumia 1520

So what keeps me on the 1520
- OS, although not fully functional and full of issues works overall better than android. Phone never slows down. No one crash in ages. Big tiles make things easier also on big screens (it means you can do many things with one hand if you know how to put tiles and how to handle the device properly)
- Windows sucks less data than Google does. I won't stretch as far as saying it offers more privacy as they both closely cooperate with governments so privacy on these devices is utopic. However, it feels better.
- The phone used as a photo/videocamera goes well above my expectations. To the point that i often leave my M4/3 camera at home unless i really need to shoot something afar. Pictures are really gorgeous and night pictures come out beautiful out of the box. Videos are just a tad worse but still much much over what an average user needs. I was impressed one year ago and things are only improving in that department
- Simplicity. Despite the menus being messed up in these versions (8.1 DP) once you find the key item the submenus are easy to understand and do what they say. Android is somewhat better structured in terms of main menus but the subs (at least in all my Samsung devices and the HTC too at times) are hard to find.
- UI looks good on WP (but not very customizable). While having to use Android because i need it, the icon concept for me keeps looking very childish. I have applied a varied of custom UIs over time and i have found a good compromise (but i lose the key functions of the TouchWiz on the Note). For some reason all those childish icons have me tired and bored.

What keeps me from migrating to the WinPhone platform altogether.
- OS still in the works (Basic functions missing, customization still low despite the hype, browsers very subpar, lack of proper language tools, lack of proper mail management, lack of key apps i need for work. I don't like onedrive either. It's so buggy that i lost tons of documents i really needed so i

Will it keep me on it? 100% sure if MSFT adds what i am missing (In particular better browser, proper chinese inputs, good email client, in the style of K9 on Android or better....the outlook app on Android looks fine but it's somewhat boring). I can stretch as far as RE-Buying all apps i need on the WP platform on the condition that they make things happen quick. In lack of proper patching and improvements i may go for Blackberry, which already allows access to all the android apps i need without being on a Google platform and offering a good level of safety and, well, email apps are just top notch.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
The ui, live tiles, my life is a post it note anyway so the pin to home screen suits me perfectly, for apps most of, if not all the ones I use are there, games I tend to use my iPad or vita anyway, tried practically every iPhone and android phone out there, I'm sticking with WP

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Finances. I don't have the money to jump to a different phone nevermind OS. Much as I love Windows Phone, I feel I should check out what the world has to offer me.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I never spent more than 200 euros in a mobile phone (except for the nokia 6230 with a colossal 64Mb MMC and 0.3mp camera!)
At this price-point ,iPhone is not an option and android is really not impressing me, mainly for it's unconsistant performance and the fact that you must dedicate some time to get it run slightly faster.

I found myself ,with every Android device I had ,constantly pressing the task-killer to clean up some ram.
It started to become something like nightmare and I often found myself using futurephones to have less things to worry about in my mind!

But if money wasn't an object I would probably go for a pricier Lumia phone ,like the next 9xx
(if only the battery life would give you 1.5-2 days of moderate use) ..
I wouldn't buy an iPhone ,although I'm a sucker for fluidity and transparency ,mainly because I don't want another LCD screen like ever again :p

My next phone will be the Lumia 735 (or the next 7xx because I'm fed up with the SD400) mainly because of the great colors/ viewing angles of the screen.

All and all , WP is great on midrange phones and truly worrying free OS without any nasty surprices.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Metro/Modern design language (Segoe font, accent colors, icons, pivots)
Start screen (live tiles, different sizes, transparency)
Fluidity of OS*
Microsoft stuff (Outlook, Bing, Onedrive, Cortana, Onenote)
Nokia stuff (Here maps, MixRadio, Nokia Camera)

Stuff that was removed or in the process of being phased out:

Nokia branding
auto-hiding system tray
Hubs
Games only in the games hub
All Windows Phones have a camera button

*inconsistent with 8.1

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The fact it still looks great without needing to get an app to customize.

I'm still pissed that there is no App for Formula 1 or MotoGP but thats not a big enough reason to quit to Android.

It just sucks that after 2 years MS still have no f@#&*n idea about the app situation. Microsoft Dynamics sponsor Lotus F1 but the idiots cant use their manpower to build an app. Just stick a stupid sticker on the side of a car is the best that they can think of.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics/lotus-f1-team.aspx

Bunch of lemmings led by a clueless dork who probably has no idea about anything that pushes the limits. Yay cricket wooden stick games Satya u dweeb.:devil:

umangpop777

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Actually i am holding on windows phone because Apples aren't in my budget. And budget Androids are not so good as compared to windows phone.

And another thing Androids have less life(software wise) this is my opinion and i may be wrong. Pl understand.

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
The Windows Phone situation is getting better. I could go to iPhone or Android, but I'm enjoying WP more and more. The app-gap is a hard thing to swallow, but thanks to Windows Central, I have the apps I need. The phone i would potential go to is iPhone, if things don't go smoothly.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Let's see....
1. The impressive UI design, glance
2. Camera apps, and the camera BUTTON(!). Hardware in general is very nice on all Lumias.
3. The fact that I've never seen a better looking phone than my 925 (even compared to 2015 phones. Anyone seen the LG Flex 2? Monster specs but looks so tacky).

4. Money, I suppose. I don't want a midrange phone so I'm saving up for a flagship. I'll probably sell off my Lumia and get one of the upcoming Androids, and the MS flagship release is still too far away. XB Music or Video doesn't work here, Cortana doesn't work here, Here Maps don't work here (Google ones do), so many apps aren't "available in your region"... and now that Office, OneDrive, and Outlook are decent on Android, the cons of WP are starting to outweigh the pros.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon