Why can't I stream music?

DMelan

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Can't stream music

I don't know what happened, but my Lumia 640 suddenly can't stream any music using the XBox Music app. Instead I get an error message:
Check your Connectivity
Sorry, we're having difficulty playing that right now. Please check that you have cellular or Wi-Fi connectivity, or try again later.​

I tried it over both WiFi and cell data. I rebooted the phone. I tried a suggestion I saw elsewhere and went to Settings->Xbox Music account settings, then logged out and back in to the account page. I tried turning "Sync my online collection" off and then back on. Nothing seems to work. Everything else on the phone is fine, including web browsing, OneNote, and texts. In fact everything else in the music app is fine too. I even uploaded a new album to my OneDrive music folder to see if it shows up on my phone, and it does, including the custom album art I scanned and embedded in the mp3s. I can even hit the download button on any song and it does indeed download, after which I can play the song. But I can't stream anything. Nothing on OneDrive, nor anything I bought from the XBox music store. I was successfully streaming music from OneDrive less than 24 hours ago, but haven't been able to do so for the last 8 hours. Any ideas?

paul carkhuff

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Can't stream music

I am having the same exact problem as well. Seemed to start yesterday. It is driving me nuts. Tried all the things you did as well and I to can stream on PC and XB1 without issue. Of course I will be driving a ton of hours for the holiday break and Groove music is the only music app I use. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
Thanks
:shocked:

xsodaxmachinex

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site

I am having the same problem as well. I can stream music over the Groove Web Player. I can't stream anything over the 640xl on the xbox music app. It is really annoying me. I want my music back!

Echouza

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

I've been having the same issue the past few days. can stream on computer and Xbox one, but can't stream on my phone, which is what I use at the gym and my house speakers. I love music and try to have it playing whenever I can so if this is some new policy thing they're trying then I'm done with it. I'm not trying to have a ton of songs all over my phone, I'd rather stream a song and only have it again when I want to listen to it. Unfortunately the past few day's I've been looking for an answer and not only have I still not found one, it's rare to find others voicing their issue which makes it harder for Microsoft to realize there's a problem. there needs to be more noise about this issue for it to get fixed.

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

I've had the same problem with xbox music on my 930. Can stream from other services like Spotify but not xbox music.

grantlandrice

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

It has been fixed on Microsoft's end as of this morning my time.
Pretty quick turn around from my experience with WP.

There was a discussion on the Community Forums at MS Support under Music, Movies and TV and then Groove music.
I don't believe anyone from MS has addressed the issue from what I can see.

I checked Windows Central first. Thanks to everyone who here who reported the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar