07-23-2014 06:22 PM
299 ... 9101112
tools
    -by rooting-not feasible for the average consumer that make up 97% of the market.
    Agreed. But possible. And, I think, that is Android's biggest selling point: if one really wants to, one probably can.

The rest seem satisfied with manufacturer skins.
    07-13-2014 02:28 PM
    That's true, only one problem- very few phones run vanilla android.
    I don't normally do this because people should really check their facts before posting, but here:
    https://www.abiresearch.com/press/q4...gle-losing-con
    07-13-2014 02:30 PM
    You're basically saying nothing, and grasping for straws that don't exist. All of Google's apps share a distinct design language, and there is zero bloat on my Nexus devices. I will say though, that at least all of the Google apps work flawlessly on my Android devices, which is something I cannot say about my 920. Read through this forum and take note of all the complaints of what's broken on Windows Phone. It's crazy.
    Someone's grasping at straws, but it isn't me. What I'm saying is 100% true. How one feels about it is the only area that can be debated. You don't consider all those Google apps on your nexus 5 as bloat, I do. The point is without rooting you can't get rid of them.
    Also i said nothing about bugginess of apps, which is an entire different subject. My opinion on that would be that Android apps are definitely more buggy, which is one of the reasons I switched.
    07-13-2014 02:31 PM
    The Android experience on a nexus is more unified than on phones with an OEM skin, but if we're talking about degrees, WP is still more of a unified look than even stock Android. The settings menus don't even match the system apps in Android. You may not care but that's not my point. Some people appreciate this.

I'll say this again: The fact that I can, out of the box, change the background color and theme color SYSTEM WIDE and even many third party apps conform to the changes, makes WP more customizable than stock Android, and in a deeper level. If you really want to compare stock Android, which is the least customizable Android there is without rooting.
    07-13-2014 02:38 PM
    The Android experience on a nexus is more unified than on phones with an OEM skin, but if we're talking about degrees, WP is still more of a unified look than even stock Android. The settings menus don't even match the system apps in Android. You may not care but that's not my point. Some people appreciate this.

I'll say this again: The fact that I can, out of the box, change the background color and theme color SYSTEM WIDE and even many third party apps conform to the changes, makes WP more customizable than stock Android, and in a deeper level. If you really want to compare stock Android, which is the least customizable Android there is without rooting.
    I see your point, and concede that changing the colors is a nice effect.

I do have trouble agreeing that WP8 had anything even close to what Android has by way of customization.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-13-2014 03:05 PM

I do have trouble agreeing that WP8 had anything even close to what Android has by way of customization.
    ​You can start with the launcher. Don't get me wrong, I'm far from being an Android fan but there are some functional advantages over WP.
    07-13-2014 03:11 PM

When comparing WP to stock Android, out of the box. All you can change on Android is wallpaper. You can then download a launcher but still only change the icons. It's skin deep and one could argue that the further reaching changes in WP are better. That's a taste thing but if you were to count UI elements that are effected I believe WP would rank higher than stock Android.

Live tiles and icons are different and live tiles by nature are stuck being square, but you can change the color of them, the size, and the arrangement. Which is more than stock Android can do out of the box. With WP 8.1 you can also effectively change the grid size to add more or less tiles. Something Android also can't do without a launcher. Not to mention transparent tiles... Whether one thinks the customizations look better on one platform or another is up to the individual, but by sheer numbers I think WP offers more possible changes than stock Android, especially out of the box.
    07-13-2014 03:35 PM
    When comparing WP to stock Android, out of the box. All you can change on Android is wallpaper. You can then download a launcher but still only change the icons. It's skin deep and one could argue that the further reaching changes in WP are better.
    Are you trying to tell me that a launcher like Aviate is only capable of changing the icons and wallpaper?

aviate-1.jpg
    07-13-2014 03:55 PM
    Are you trying to tell me that a launcher like Aviate is only capable of changing the icons and wallpaper?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aviate-1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	71885
    No but its still only the home screen.
    07-13-2014 04:22 PM
    You can't hardly uninstall anything that comes pre installed on any Android device. Carrier bloat is a perfect example. Like all the T-Mobile apps. An Android phone like the LG g2, or g3, come with like 7 or 8 T-Mobile apps, and you can only uninstall one or two. You can't even disable T-Mobile my account, or the system manager app, both of which constantly run in the background monitoring every aspect of your device, including location, and send info back to T-Mobile. WP only comes with like 2 T-Mobile apps, all of which can be completely uninstalled.
    it would be easier if you only pointed out the applications you knew could not be uninstalled without rooting, but OK.

I'll agree that carrier bloat and touch wiz both suck, and that they are a really good reason to root, flash, and enjoy vanilla android instead.
    07-13-2014 04:41 PM
    No but its still only the home screen.
    Really?.. are you sure about that?

gqvnydi.jpg

Having a debate with you is like clapping with one hand. Windows Phone is nowhere near as customizable as Android. With WP you get Tiles, and if you don't like Tiles, you're boned. You can make Android look like anything you want, even without root. We can keep this debate up for ten more pages if you want though.
    07-13-2014 04:44 PM
    Really?.. are you sure about that?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GQVnydI.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	71886

Having a debate with you is like clapping with one hand. Windows Phone is nowhere near as customizable as Android. With WP you get Tiles, and if you don't like Tiles, you're boned. You can make Android look like anything you want, even without root. We can keep this debate up for ten more pages if you want though.
    You can make you HOME SCREEN look like whatever you want. The rest of the system and apps won't match. That's my entire point, just a basic fact about the UNIFICATION that WP has that Android can't match. Don't try turning my point into something it never was just so you can feel like you're "winning" a debate.
    07-13-2014 06:16 PM
    Lol your pictures just prove my point even more. The more drastically you change your home screen and app list, the less unified your overall experience. Because the changes are skin deep. So you can go from what you posted, into the settings menu... Which is still just black with white text. And your keyboard, which if it's stock is still just grey on grey.
    07-13-2014 06:21 PM
    it would be easier if you only pointed out the applications you knew could not be uninstalled without rooting, but OK.
    I did.
    07-13-2014 06:25 PM
    You can make you HOME SCREEN look like whatever you want. The rest of the system and apps won't match. That's my entire point, just a basic fact about the UNIFICATION that WP has that Android can't match. Don't try turning my point into something it never was just so you can feel like you're "winning" a debate.
    You keep going on about Android apps not having any type of unification, I'm convinced you've never used Android though.

xcymhd3.jpg wnnkkq7.jpg

vwegjjc.jpg eid3nzh.jpg

q9lhbrl.jpg tajcniy.jpg

v65ap4u.jpg oxzrues.jpg

r6tfxsg.jpg
    07-13-2014 06:37 PM
    Say no to Google.
    Nerdy Woman likes this.
    07-13-2014 06:54 PM
    Say no to Google.
    Or, say yes and get all of the best games and apps + better Microsoft services than you can currently get on Windows Phone.
    07-13-2014 07:07 PM
    Or, say yes and get all of the best games and apps + better Microsoft services than you can currently get on Windows Phone.
    There is no "best", there is "more suitable". I do prefer WP in this case.
    I don't need games like the Kim Kardashian one (not sure if it is on Android, but it's within top 10 on iOS).
    07-13-2014 07:09 PM
    There is no "best", there is "more suitable". I do prefer WP in this case.
    I don't need games like the Kim Kardashian one (not sure if it is on Android, but it's within top 10 on iOS).
    Sure, there's a stupid Kim Kardashian game on iOS and Android that I don't want to play either. But there are also a ****-load of awesome games and apps that are never going to make it to Windows Phone. I'm not part of the WPCentral club that says you have to hate Google in order to be a member here. Windows Phone is slick, and I love Nokia's hardware, but I like Android as well. I want to be able to use VSCO Cam, and play Real Racing 3 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and Call of Duty: Strike Team, and Deus Ex: The Fall. I want the best that all of the platforms have to offer, that's why I own an iPad as well.
    07-13-2014 07:28 PM
    Sure, there's a stupid Kim Kardashian game on iOS and Android that I don't want to play either. But there are also a ****-load of awesome games and apps that are never going to make it to Windows Phone. I'm not part of the WPCentral club that says you have to hate Google in order to be a member here. Windows Phone is slick, and I love Nokia's hardware, but I like Android as well. I want to be able to use VSCO Cam, and play Real Racing 3 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and Call of Duty: Strike Team, and Deus Ex: The Fall. I want the best that all of the platforms have to offer, that's why I own an iPad as well.
    I'm not a part of such a club either. I do have an iPhone 4, but I use it only for iMessage (my sister likes the iPhone).

For you, Android is more suitable since it has pretty much cool games, whereas I'm not interested that much in games. Again, there is no best.

Edit 1: I didn't use VSCO Cam app, but I'm pretty sure it's not an ultimate app that the platform can't live without.
    07-13-2014 07:33 PM
    I'm not a part of such a club either.
    When you make a post that says "Say no to Google".. you are part of that club.

Edit 1: I didn't use VSCO Cam app, but I'm pretty sure it's not an ultimate app that the platform can't live without.
    People can live without VSCO Cam, but it is regarded to be the best camera app in mobile. It's a social platform as well, and people seem to like it's community. You don't hear anything about it hanging out here at WPC because it's not on Windows Phone.
    07-13-2014 07:41 PM
    When you make a post that says "Say no to Google".. you are part of that club.
    That was actually a sarcasm, but anyway...

People can live without VSCO Cam, but it is regarded to be the best camera app in mobile. It's a social platform as well, and people seem to like it's community. You don't hear anything about it hanging out here at WPC because it's not on Windows Phone.

There is Fhotoroom on WP, which is pretty the same, and is incredibly popular.
    07-13-2014 07:43 PM
    We have it, it's called Quiet Hours.
    It's not available outside of the USA. There are quite a few countries which exist outside of the USA. I live in one of them.
    07-13-2014 09:29 PM
    It's not available outside of the USA. There are quite a few countries which exist outside of the USA. I live in one of them.

I forgot Quiet Hours required Cortana. My bad...
    magicdesign likes this.
    07-13-2014 09:30 PM
    Does anybody know why the quiet hours setting on my icon is not working? It just says- Cortana needs to be on, and driving mode can't be on, but none of that is on.
    07-14-2014 05:12 PM
299 ... 9101112