up to 75% longer battery life with WP over Android? :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Interesting that you have defined people who have said nothing as haters. You should try working on that inferiority complex. Criticizing imaginary people is not exactly healthy....

There are plenty such people on this forum- he is making a jest at their expense.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
According to Verizon (see screenshot) the battery life of the HTC One (M8) is much longer when using Windows Phone instead of Android. Although it's the same hardware and the same battery capacity.

If this is true it would be amazing and another very good argument for Windows Phone OS.

I knew that WP is less demanding than Android regarding hardware specs but this surprises me.
Would like to see some reviewers have a look at this if it's true.

View attachment 77366

Windows Phone is not any less demanding than Android. The battery life difference would be explained by how each operating system handles multitasking and background tasks.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Depends on what you define as usage. Phone calls and texts work all the time in battery saver mode, syncing can be done - manually. I'd say that qualifies as using the phone.

The zombie myth of the WP battery saver. Read the description. It does nothing until the battery level drops to 10%. At that time it shuts off what it deems as non-essential applications and services.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
you are leading this thread to a different dimension.

get back to the point, could this be real, if so, it kind of implies that nokia do not buy good batteries, and that android devices have good battery because they are good on the hardware side, not the software side.

and when the hardware came to WP it showed way better battery performance.

TBH, if this is real, WP is going to make a hit. competitors are really needed. :D
What? The OP was in regards to the HTC Android version vs the HTC WP version. There was no mention of Nokia. The OP was talking about comparing the SAME hardware (HTC vs HTC) just running different OS (Droid vs WP).

I agree that some people are going to pick up on that and it will make them think. Hopefully more and more people will realize it as well.

aa125690

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
The zombie myth of the WP battery saver. Read the description. It does nothing until the battery level drops to 10%. At that time it shuts off what it deems as non-essential applications and services.

Actually, the Battery Saver seems to reduce battery life much more than saving it...

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

It is automatically enabled at 20% if you have chosen to turn it on, at which point it disables *all* non native background processes, as well as email syncing and a select few other native tasks.

You can choose to have it enabled at all times, too.

My HTC titan routinely got more than 2 days of battery life. With light usage, 4 days. With battery saver enabled 24/7, near 6 days.

Sent from my 20CDS02B00 using Tapatalk

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
.....what?

Android a) has true multi tasking with few limitations on processes and b) uses Java.

In addition to that, we already know from... every WP phone that WP runs smoothly on lesser hardware while (stock unmodded) android requires significantly more CPU power for a smooth experience. More power requires more juice.

It's impossible for it to *not* be worse at battery life as a general rule.

Android does NOT use Java. It uses Dalvik. Anyway, WP uses the extremely similar .net CLR.
Does multi tasking make a difference in typical usage?
I disagree that WP runs more smoothly, try two comparable phones side by side in a shop. Android is generally quicker at performing useful tasks. Try opening the web browser for a dramatic demonstration. My suspicion is that the "WP is more efficient" really means "the home screen scrolled more smoothly until about 12 months ago".

Of course efficiency can be defined in many ways - speed, RAM usage, power consumption, flash, ...

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Dalvik is a Java VM.

1. No it isn't. See Dalvik (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Dalvik does not run Java byte code.

2. It's not relevant to this discussion, but I've never understood the belief that Java is inefficient on mobile devices. I have a genuine Java based phone next to me now and I can tell you that its battery lasts several times longer than any modern smart phone.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It's a VM. Maybe not a traditional Java VM because Google can't ever leave well enough alone, but it is still an inefficient VM based on a generally terrible language.
The only way they could do worse would be to make it based on PHP.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It's a VM. Maybe not a traditional Java VM because Google can't ever leave well enough alone, but it is still an inefficient VM based on a generally terrible language.
The only way they could do worse would be to make it based on PHP.

What's your opinion of the CLR used by WP? That's also a VM, and it can run code written in Java (and other languages). By the definition you seem to be using, it's as much a Java VM as Dalvik.

Last edited:

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Will someone kill HTC for sharing such Details?? It really killed WP.. :shocked:
Please Give details along with claims... :p

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Why do you think wp8.1 works great on the Lumia 520 yet android phones that cheap have older versions so they can run alright.

You mean like the Moto E (current version: Android 4.4.4)?

Also please do not assume that newer OS's are less efficient. For example, bear in mind that Windows 8 is probably more efficient than Windows 7, which was definitely more efficient than Windows Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon