tools
    you need to acces the diag. menu
    just call this number - ##634#
    wait a lil bit for the new menu
    in the new menu tap this = *#321647335

and then you can see the CSC regions.
    you need ATO

- if you have it just tap on it and confirm it, the phone will restart
    - If you cant see the ATO than you need to Flash your phone to GDR2 with csc ATO
    I select ATO type on ok when it ask to reset the phone and... nothing happens, my phone does not reset himself and when I go in diagnostics again, ATO is not selected. What can I do?
    10-18-2014 12:02 PM
    I select ATO type on ok when it ask to reset the phone and... nothing happens, my phone does not reset himself and when I go in diagnostics again, ATO is not selected. What can I do?
    There is a lag, it should appear after 5-10 seconds, at least that's what happened to me when i was changing
    10-18-2014 12:14 PM
    Update finally installed :)
    9ykjuxh.png
    SPIFF Costa, cbmago and WinSammie like this.
    10-18-2014 12:28 PM
    Will someone write about battery on WP8.1. When is full charged is show 17hours for use, but in my normal use is only 12hours. I have a another new battery but same happens. In background every app is turn off.
    I was going to wait til I've done my battery calibration. But 17 hours is so little time! I had 1 day and 7 hours on DP and it usually lasted me a bit more than a day. I can't tell you yet what says after the update since I dropped the battery to 0 on purpose and it's now charging. When it's reaches 100% I will tell you how much it says the battery will last but I'm almost certain that it will last more than a day! One thing I forgot to mention on my previous post about the update. I did a hard reset right after the update
    Last edited by SPIFF Costa; 10-18-2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: can't
    maki01 likes this.
    10-18-2014 12:35 PM
    Hey SPIFF, are you talking a day running off battery with moderate or heavy usage?

I still have yet to update to 8.1, i've got the update notification but am extremely sick, and would rather enjoy going thru the update when im at the top of my game.
    10-18-2014 01:07 PM
    Update finally installed :)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9YkjuXh.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	85018
    I tried to revert back to GDR2 and at some point i got an error and now when I connect the phone in download mode to pc, the SMD binary downloader freezes and stops working. Help please!

error2.jpg
    10-18-2014 01:19 PM
    Hey SPIFF, are you talking a day running off battery with moderate or heavy usage?

I still have yet to update to 8.1, i've got the update notification but am extremely sick, and would rather enjoy going thru the update when im at the top of my game.
    More than a day (a day being full 24h and NOT just day time and leaving it charging over night) with moderate use. And this includes having the wi-fi and data connection always on. But I deactivated some background actvity to some apps that don't really need background activity. But for something like news or social media they are on. This also means having power savings when battery reaches 20%. There were some times that I use the phone heavily and I got maybe 7 hours. Never used the phone lightly (meaning just texting and phone calls) so I don't know how long it would last, but I think it should last 2 days or even more.
    10-18-2014 01:21 PM
    I was going to wait til I've done my battery calibration. But 17 hours is so little time! I had 1 day and 7 hours on DP and it usually lasted me a bit more than a day. I can't tell you yet what says after the update since I dropped the battery to 0 on purpose and it's now charging. When it's reaches 100% I will tell you how much it says the battery will last but I'm almost certain that it will last more than a day! One thing I forgot to mention on my previous post about the update. I did a hard reset right after the update
    We will wait for your full findingswhen you done your test, and everyone who have the offical WP8.1 should do the same, but with precize infos.
    Anyway, about the battery, your phone already calibrated your battery with previous usage. You don't need to calibrate it again. ATIV S use Li-Ion battery with built-in chip and NFC chip is also in the battery, not in the phone (but you all know that so far). So the battery of ATIV S is in the category of Smart Batteries. There is absolute no need to drain it to 0 and to charg it up to 100% so you can make some kind of calibrating of the battery like we use to do in older Li-Ion batteries used in Symbian and Feature phones (java phones), or like the older Cadmium batteries. In fact, doing that (drain to 0% and charge it up to 100%) to a smart battery like the one on the ATIV S will do more damage to your battery rather than improve it. Best usage of this smart batteries is when you just keep the cycles running. That means (this is optional), when your battery reach something between 25-40% life left, to plug it for a charge to 100%. It's totally fine to let it go sometimes to below 10% life or just your battery dies empty, but try not to happen to often.
    I got this finding from a guy, friend of mine, whos job are batteries, and not just phone batteries, but all kinds of batteries, and he is a chemical and tech engineer. We run some test with Li-Ion batteries (old ones) and Li-Ion batteries (new, smart ones like the one on our ATIV S) along with older cadmium batteries for several months. His findings were correct!
    Conclusion: You can charge your ATIV S battery as much as you want and when you want, it will be the same battery life, just don't "die" the battery too often. :) Hope this helps for all of you to clear some issues with battery on our beloved ATIV S :)
    10-18-2014 01:24 PM
    I tried to revert back to GDR2 and at some point i got an error and now when I connect the phone in download mode to pc, the SMD binary downloader freezes and stops working. Help please!

Name:	error2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	85024
    Is that on Windows 8(or above) or Windows 7? Because on my laptop (which runs Windows 8.1) I got some errors so I didn't procceed on that. I went to my desktop that has Windows 7 and I didn't have any problems. Some people on this thread also fixed the problems with a new/other data cable. I don't know much about flashing, so I'm just hinting you at some things that maybe you should look at
    10-18-2014 01:24 PM
    We will wait for your full findingswhen you done your test, and everyone who have the offical WP8.1 should do the same, but with precize infos.
    Anyway, about the battery, your phone already calibrated your battery with previous usage. You don't need to calibrate it again. ATIV S use Li-Ion battery with built-in chip and NFC chip is also in the battery, not in the phone (but you all know that so far). So the battery of ATIV S is in the category of Smart Batteries. There is absolute no need to drain it to 0 and to charg it up to 100% so you can make some kind of calibrating of the battery like we use to do in older Li-Ion batteries used in Symbian and Feature phones (java phones), or like the older Cadmium batteries. In fact, doing that (drain to 0% and charge it up to 100%) to a smart battery like the one on the ATIV S will do more damage to your battery rather than improve it. Best usage of this smart batteries is when you just keep the cycles running. That means (this is optional), when your battery reach something between 25-40% life left, to plug it for a charge to 100%. It's totally fine to let it go sometimes to below 10% life or just your battery dies empty, but try not to happen to often.
    I got this finding from a guy, friend of mine, whos job are batteries, and not just phone batteries, but all kinds of batteries, and he is a chemical and tech engineer. We run some test with Li-Ion batteries (old ones) and Li-Ion batteries (new, smart ones like the one on our ATIV S) along with older cadmium batteries for several months. His findings were correct!
    Conclusion: You can charge your ATIV S battery as much as you want and when you want, it will be the same battery life, just don't "die" the battery too often. :) Hope this helps for all of you to clear some issues with battery on our beloved ATIV S :)
    Wow, thanks for that. I learnt so much on this thread already and I just learned some more! Since I thought the battery estimate Battery Saver gave me was low for what I was expecting I decided to try this. I guess it won't make a difference then. I will still post the result but I won't expect much now :D Thanks, dude
    Last edited by SPIFF Costa; 10-18-2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: tech
    Boris NevermorE likes this.
    10-18-2014 01:28 PM
    Btw, do you know how can we know if a battery is a "smart battery" or a "dumb battery"? Is there any information on the battery that we know before hand or do we just have to test it?
    Boris NevermorE likes this.
    10-18-2014 01:36 PM
    Btw, do you know how can we know if a battery is a "smart battery" or a "dumb battery"? Is there any information on the battery that we know before hand or do we just have to test it?
    Mostly all smartphones in the last 2-3 years use the Li-Ion smart batteries. In matter of fact here is a raw hint: If the smartphone can use an app that tells you "in-deep" about the battery performance (Like the awesome app Insider for WP), that means that battery is a "smart battery". Just ask yourself How those apps can pull so much data for the battery, right? So there must be some kind of chip there, got it? :)
    Oh, one more thing (I sound now like Tim Cook, LOL), Smart batteries are calibrating by their self based on how you use the phone, the procedure is automatic, hence no need for manual calibrating. That means, now you with the new WP8.1 is a new "challenge" for the battery, and in coming weeks your battery will adjust to that. :)
    SPIFF Costa and striderbih like this.
    10-18-2014 01:41 PM
    Is that on Windows 8(or above) or Windows 7? Because on my laptop (which runs Windows 8.1) I got some errors so I didn't procceed on that. I went to my desktop that has Windows 7 and I didn't have any problems. Some people on this thread also fixed the problems with a new/other data cable. I don't know much about flashing, so I'm just hinting you at some things that maybe you should look at
    I tried on Win 8.1, I will try on Win 7 now.
    10-18-2014 02:02 PM
    Hello guys,

hope it`s not a lame newbie question, but when I open the diag app and go to the CSC changer, i see nothing. No current CSC and not radio buttons to choose the new CSC (like ATO) to try get the 8.1

I run a 8.0 straight (no DP) Samsung Ativ S unlocked device bought from Bulgaria, w/o any carrier contract. The previous owner though told me that he did some flashing to WP DP8.1 but the camera bug made him flash back to GDR3.

Weird. Many thanks in advance!
    10-18-2014 02:28 PM
    Hello guys,

hope it`s not a lame newbie question, but when I open the diag app and go to the CSC changer, i see nothing. No current CSC and not radio buttons to choose the new CSC (like ATO) to try get the 8.1

I run a 8.0 straight (no DP) Samsung Ativ S unlocked device bought from Bulgaria, w/o any carrier contract. The previous owner though told me that he did some flashing to WP DP8.1 but the camera bug made him flash back to GDR3.

Weird. Many thanks in advance!
    Post here:
    - OS Version
    - Firmware Revision Number
    - Bootloader version
    You know where to find them (Settings, About Phone)

Alternatively: Uninstall Diagnosis App, Restart your phone (Soft Reset, turn off-turn on). In dial pad type ##634# , wait for about 5 seconds, go back and see if Diagnosis App is installed in App List. Open Diagnosis app and type *#78*598031 or *#321647335 (it's the same), then it will open CSC Converter Odyssey_121205, you should be able to see your current CSC.
    10-18-2014 02:35 PM
    I tried on Win 8.1, I will try on Win 7 now.
    Windows 8.1 is known to have problems with driver because it block all unsigned drivers while Windows 7 let's you install them if you say so. There is a tutorial how to fix that on windows 8.1 in the howto for downgrading on the second page.
    10-18-2014 02:46 PM
    So my phone is fully charged and it shows 1 day and 15 hours of battery remaing. So I think there was some battery improvement from the DP, but as Boris explained I will be able to really see that for sure by using it for a coulple of weeks. Here's a screenshot:
    wp_ss_20141018_0001.png
    10-18-2014 02:50 PM
    Post here:
    - OS Version
    - Firmware Revision Number
    - Bootloader version
    You know where to find them (Settings, About Phone)

Alternatively: Uninstall Diagnosis App, Restart your phone (Soft Reset, turn off-turn on). In dial pad type ##634# , wait for about 5 seconds, go back and see if Diagnosis App is installed in App List. Open Diagnosis app and type *#78*598031 or *#321647335 (it's the same), then it will open CSC Converter Odyssey_121205, you should be able to see your current CSC.
    Thanks Boris!

Uninstalled diag, soft reset -> reinstalled diag -> same result, info bellow:

wp_20141018.png

wp_20141018-1.png

Wondering why that might occur, perhaps I should hard reset, waiting for suggestions. Seems I have installed 8.0.10532.166 on the road to 8.1 but there I am now...

Did re-isntall the preview for developers app, enrolled back in the program, now there is an update ready for me to install, cant see what it is but there is a high chance I get the 8.1 DP which is not a good idea.

Thanks!
    Last edited by velqn; 10-18-2014 at 03:59 PM.
    10-18-2014 03:23 PM
    I can report that, starting from official CSC DBT WP8.0 GDR3 (got 7 days ago, finally) I switched to CSC ATO, hard reset, and had straight the double updates to WP8.1.1
    No need to flash anything.

Never touched PfD with this device, mind you.

So far, so good. ;)
    10-18-2014 03:43 PM
    Thanks Boris!

Uninstalled diag, soft reset -> reinstalled diag -> same result, info bellow:

Name:	WP_20141018.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	85035

Name:	WP_20141018 1.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	85036

Wondering why that might occur, perhaps I should hard reset, waiting for suggestions.

Thanks!
    Ok, i can see that you are on WP8 GDR3, so, if that didn't help, i'm afraid you will have to hard reset to see if the CSC list will appeal. there is a trick how to see your current CSC, but it's just that, to see. To be able, to see the CSC List, i think you should hard reset your phone (at least i would do that). Maybe if the other guys here have the solution for this (maybe neo158), should jump in to help you.
    Now, if you want to see what's your current CSC do the following:
    - Open Diagnosis and type this *#1234#, this will open Extended Software Version (will attach picture bellow to see)
    - You will see in the field default CSC what is your current CSC.
    wp_ss_20140328_0001.png
    10-18-2014 04:07 PM
    Thanks Boris!

I think that I am definitely going for the hard reset now. :) Will keep you posted.

wp_ss_20141019_0001.png

Update: Oh, gosh, even after the hard reset... there is no CSC info, really, really strange :(

Now did this from the diag app -> *2767*3855# - Full Reset (Caution every stored data will be deleted.) let`s see.
    Last edited by velqn; 10-18-2014 at 04:43 PM.
    10-18-2014 04:16 PM
    Thanks Boris!

I think that I am definitely going for the hard reset now. :) Will keep you posted.

Name:	wp_ss_20141019_0001.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	85040

Update: Oh, gosh, even after the hard reset... there is no CSC info, really, really strange :(

Now did this from the diag app -> *2767*3855# - Full Reset (Caution every stored data will be deleted.) let`s see.
    Velqn, that code is the same as hard reset you will do from Settings>About>Reset Phone. If that didn't helped you, I doubt *2767*3855# will do, cuz that's the exact code for Reset Phone which can be found in About Phone. But, let's see whats happen, sometimes 2-3 hard resets helps. (fingers crossed)
    10-18-2014 04:52 PM
    Thanks Boris!

Name:	wp_ss_20141019_0001.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	85040

Interestingly I've got no idea what's going on there either, which country are you from and did you buy it SIM Free or from a network, if you can tell me that then I can find the CSC for you?
    10-18-2014 04:53 PM
    Interestingly I've got no idea what's going on there either, which country are you from and did you buy it SIM Free or from a network, if you can tell me that then I can find the CSC for you?
    He is from Bulgaria, my east neighbor country :)
    10-18-2014 04:58 PM
    He is from Bulgaria, my east neighbor country :)
    Thanks, it could be any one of these CMF, GBL, MTE, MTL, OMX, OXX*, PLX, VVT with OXX being SIM Free/Open Market. I'm not familiar with the mobile network names in Bulgaria so I'm not sure which network corresponds to which CSC other than OXX.

This is a good reference for CSC. I believe I posted it before.
    10-18-2014 05:00 PM
2,690 ... 3637383940 ...