12-16-2016 07:34 AM
2,690 ... 5758596061 ...
tools
    Honestly the Ativ S is the best mobile phone I've owned - and I've owned a lot of different phones over the last 20 odd years.

This roll-out to 8.1 is frustrating. I kind of wish that I'd been able to ignore it as the phone does everything I need a phone to do - and it does it quickly. That being said I'm now thinking that (with 1 year left on my contract with Bell Canada) by the time I'm eligible to upgrade my phone with no penalty I may still be waiting for the 8.1 update but, at least, will likely have the option of going with Windows Phone 10.

Even with the waiting on this update I will stay with Windows Phone - it's the best phone OS for my needs.
    11-11-2014 03:05 PM
    I'm a bit confused, I tried reading here but didn't get any good results. Help would be appreciated.

Device #1 - ATIV S, unlocked with original CSC - ILO. Upgraded to 8.1 with developer preview program.
    Device #2 - ATIV S, unlocked with original CSC - ILO. Running 8.0 GDR3, not enrolled to the DP program.

What I tried to do -

Device #1 - Check for updates w/o DP - got nothing. Tried updating to 8.1.1 but got the 0x80188308 error. Went into the diagnose app, changed the CSC to NEE (from ILO). Asked me if I want to restart automatically. I clicked yes, but nothing happened. Restarted the phone, checked and CSC was indeed NEE. Tried updating (without DP app checked in), but it told me that there were not updates. tried hard reset, same.

Device #2 - Still didnt do anything, waiting for advice :)

Did I miss anything ?

Thanks a lot!
    Device #1: It's a phone running on PfD, so CSC's confirmed getting the Samsung firmware (8.1.1) are ATO and BTU. ATO is Austrian CSC, BTU is English CSC. Try with those if you have them, the update maybe won't start rolling right away (usually it does), but wait for .... let's say 24 hours, check again and see what happens. neo158 has his ATIV S on ATO (if I am not mistaken) and got the 8.1.1 firmware. Make sure your PfD is checked ON.

Device #2: As you said, this is a phone not rolled PfD, so, CSC's that got 8.1.1 are
    - ATO - Austrian
    - BTU - British
    - DBT - German
    - ETL - Not sure about this, guess it's Slovakia (someone correct me if i am wrong)
    - NEE - Nordic (Sweden, Norway, Finland, etc)
    - PHN - I think is Netherland
    - TGY - probably Hong Kong
    So, if you choose NEE and you don't have the new official update 8.1.1 in 24 hours, or you get the error, then try with changing Language and Region to Sweden and Swedish and check again. If that doesn't work, try any other CSC i mention above and report back if you get something positive :)
    elangab likes this.
    11-11-2014 03:29 PM
    I must say Im also starting to get pissed with this selective rollout nonsense... Is it the same with android or iOS phones?
    Cant imagine not being able to update my computer because I dont have the right bios number or that my card reader is not on the list for eligible update. :mad:
    11-11-2014 05:28 PM
    I must say Im also starting to get pissed with this selective rollout nonsense... Is it the same with android or iOS phones?
    Cant imagine not being able to update my computer because I dont have the right bios number or that my card reader is not on the list for eligible update. :mad:
    It's the same with Android but IOS updates their phones at the same time (since all their phones are pretty much the same, while Android and Windows have different phones for different OEMs).
    Boris NevermorE likes this.
    11-11-2014 05:30 PM
    I'm with you on this one, add to that poor device availability globally and it really becomes irksome
    11-11-2014 07:31 PM
    Device #1: It's a phone running on PfD, so CSC's confirmed getting the Samsung firmware (8.1.1) are ATO and BTU. ATO is Austrian CSC, BTU is English CSC. Try with those if you have them, the update maybe won't start rolling right away (usually it does), but wait for .... let's say 24 hours, check again and see what happens. neo158 has his ATIV S on ATO (if I am not mistaken) and got the 8.1.1 firmware. Make sure your PfD is checked ON.

Device #2: As you said, this is a phone not rolled PfD, so, CSC's that got 8.1.1 are
    - ATO - Austrian
    - BTU - British
    - DBT - German
    - ETL - Not sure about this, guess it's Slovakia (someone correct me if i am wrong)
    So, if you choose NEE and you don't have the new official update 8.1.1 in 24 hours, or you get the error, then try with changing Language and Region to Sweden and Swedish and check again. If that doesn't work, try any other CSC i mention above and report back if you get something positive :)
    Thanks!

I changed device #2 to NEE, and 1 hour later I got it to version 8.1.1.
    Device #1 is still having problems, I think it might be something with the PfD. I will try to downgrade to 8.0 and do everything like I did with device #2.
    11-11-2014 08:01 PM
    Thanks!

I changed device #2 to NEE, and 1 hour later I got it to version 8.1.1.
    Device #1 is still having problems, I think it might be something with the PfD. I will try to downgrade to 8.0 and do everything like I did with device #2.
    Glad you got at least on one of your devices :) Do report back what you did and how with Device 1 :)
    11-11-2014 09:16 PM
    My phone have a black screen after csc change, i did hard reset.. didnt work... what should i do?
    11-12-2014 01:43 PM
    I can confirm: CSC PHN is Netherlands.

I've update to 8.1.1 with official firmware about 1,5 week a go. For me the ativ S is perfect now:
    - fixed ringtone bug
    - fixed camera bug
    - fixed bouetooth issues with Renault carkit (very happy with!)
    - much better battery-life: from 24h to 36h with same usage (no hard reset done)

Sorry for my bad english
    neo158 and Boris NevermorE like this.
    11-12-2014 02:05 PM
    My phone have a black screen after csc change, i did hard reset.. didnt work... what should i do?
    Hi ori, thats weird.. If your phone is bricked try threw computer to flash again (download mode) check first post. But there are peaple here that knows better then me😐
    11-12-2014 02:40 PM
    Just checked
    No Ativ S update of any sort for Rogers Canada....
    Feeling your pain. Using an unlocked Rogers T899M from Canada in the US and waiting...
    For Rogers phones, they list their OS update schedule on the following website: communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/GeneralCareSupport/thread-id/355
    When I've asked customer care on twitter, they said to keep watching that link as it gets updated when they test out new OSes.
    mary beth hale and Kilika_g35 like this.
    11-12-2014 03:44 PM

- ATO - Austrian
    - BTU - British
    - DBT - German
    Mine is on BTU which I believe is BriTish Universal or something similar. Basically it's the UK SIM free version.

I was also running the PfD as well.
    11-12-2014 03:50 PM
    Does the update also fix the bug in which the phone forgets any custom name you give it and reverts to "Samsung ATIV S"?
    11-13-2014 02:46 AM
    I fixed my problem, and upgrade to windows 8.1
    but i dont have cortana!!! why?!?!
    11-13-2014 06:27 AM
    Does the update also fix the bug in which the phone forgets any custom name you give it and reverts to "Samsung ATIV S"?
    Yes, it does and it also fixes the ringtone reset as well.
    mary beth hale and Motel75 like this.
    11-13-2014 07:23 AM
    I fixed my problem, and upgrade to windows 8.1
    but i dont have cortana!!! why?!?!
    Which country are you in, Cortana is only officially available in beta the US, UK and China and in alpha in India, Australia and Canada. In all of those countries except the US you need to have update 1 installed as well.
    11-13-2014 07:25 AM
    I've deleted a couple of off-topic posts.

As a reminder, please keep the discussions here on-topic and polite.

If you can't do the first, find another thread that's on-topic for what you want to say there.

If you can't do the second, please shout into a cushion and don't bring it here.
    11-13-2014 09:50 AM
    Yes it does, it also fixes the ringtone reset bug.
    11-13-2014 10:24 AM
    I've deleted a couple of off-topic posts.

As a reminder, please keep the discussions here on-topic and polite.

If you can't do the first, find another thread that's on-topic for what you want to say there.

If you can't do the second, please shout into a cushion and don't bring it here.
    Looks as though you deleted a few legitimate posts as well.
    11-13-2014 10:25 AM
    Looks as though you deleted a few legitimate posts as well.
    Yep, a few got swept up, sorry about that, they were kind of buried in the sorry mess of unpleasantness.

Now restored.
    neo158 likes this.
    11-13-2014 10:36 AM
    Yep, a few got swept up, sorry about that, they were kind of buried in the sorry mess of unpleasantness.

Now restored.
    Thank you Pete :)
    This guy Pappale was already reported for behavior like this before. Really I don't know what was his problem, especially with me. Don't know if he was jealous or something or just attention seeker or a simple troll.
    We'll try to keep this thread clean as we could. :)
    neo158 and Pete like this.
    11-13-2014 02:07 PM
    I am sorry for his behavior and if i somehow helped it. I also want to report that there are occasional battery problems with official firmware even after hard reset. The problem is that it stays on charger but doesn't fill a single percent.
    11-13-2014 02:57 PM
    Any news if Bell is sending the firmware soon or if there is any place we can see when they will release any updates?

For my SGH-T899M.

Thanks!

Mathieu
    11-13-2014 04:25 PM
    Any news if Bell is sending the firmware soon or if there is any place we can see when they will release any updates?

For my SGH-T899M.

Thanks!

Mathieu
    Mathieu, you might wanna subscribe on this 2 threads too for any further news about your phone:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/sam...re-update.html
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/sam...-14-9-3-a.html
    Of course you can stay here too cuz it is in general about ATIV S, but all talk is mostly about ATIV S i8750 (the international version).
    If T899M got the 8.1.1 update, please post here too, so more people can know about it :)
    neo158 and Nick_Wilson like this.
    11-13-2014 04:50 PM
    My ATIV S DBT PfD just got an update - Albeit the sw and not fw one =/
    11-13-2014 05:45 PM
2,690 ... 5758596061 ...