Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Not understanding why you guys are bringing up sales that doesn't determine the best device all sales measures is popularity and successful marketing

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
See I disagree.

Why should Windows Phone users be happy that Samsung is selling a windows phone? They've done nothing except release a couple of phones and that really hasn't done much of anything to improve Global Market share and damn sure American Market share. Samsung Ativ S and the Neo are on two of the top 4 carriers.

I could see if Samsung was selling the phones, supporting them the way nokia supported Lumias(or even a 1/10th of the support), Promoting them(even a 1/10th of the way that they do their Galaxies....My mother didn't even know Samsung MADE windows phone when saw my BF's temporary SE before he took it back for the Icon.. I could see if Samsung Windows phones were selling large amounts and a real contributor to the marketshare. They aren't. In fact if Samsung STOPPED making Windows phone, it truly wouldn't be a catastrophe. They only have 2 percent of all the millions of windows phone.

Even Blackberry sales more of their phones than Samsung does of windows Phone and that is saying something.

Stop making Samsung sound like our new savior and that we should be grateful for them because I've yet to see anything from them to be grateful for....MIND YOU, they had a significant lead on Nokia with WP7 and their Focus/Omnnia lineups and even then their phones were a unique design. I actually wanted a Omnia myself vs the Reshased Galaxy Designs of WP8.

We do not NEED anyone. Most people who look at windows phone aren't saying "Golly Gee, I wished Samsung would make a windows phone."
Because News flash they DO....people just don't want it.

It's great to have choice...It's great to have variety. I am all for that, even if I prefer that Apple takes on an Apple approach so that we don't go the Android way of Phones being released but nobody supporting their devices(think of all the crap android phones people buy).

The problem is and always has been the APP GAP...and for a lesser amount of people the UI.
The hardware is not the issue. The problem is we don't have the apps or games of the other OS and when they do come to us they are either

A. Severely delayed to the point nobody cares about them
B. Half-baked and buggy(Remember the Instagram craze during the Rise of Instance and later 6tag...we got the app Oogl last summer which was crap but it could upload to Instagram at least).
C. Speaking of Instagram, if an official app IS released it is also delayed and lacks features of the same app on Android/IOS. Just look at VINE, FB and other apps.

It's fine to be a fan of Samsung, but let's not put Samsun on the pedestal they have not yet earned.
Their smartphones are good, yes but when you have millions to market and the fact people nowadays follow trend, Market the device right and it can be crap and people will still buy it.

While I already voiced my opinion that to me the Samsung ATIV SE is the superior phone, let's look at the facts instead of opinions. I'm not going to look up the data because I don't think in this case it's needed, but I'd venture to say that Samsung sells far more phones than Nokia does, considering that the Galaxy S and Note series is refreshed each year with the latest and greatest specs and people keep on buying them, plus they keep coming out with Windows Phones, even if it's just one or two per year. Nokia can't compete in sales with Samsung. While there are some people, especially some on this thread that voiced they feel the build quality of Samsung phones are lacking or other issues they don't like, that's opinion and a very small minority compared to the millions of sales Samsung continuously amasses.

The reality is this. Windows Phone users should be happy that Samsung is even releasing phones for this OS. You should feel privileged that Apple's only real competitor is giving attention to this OS. You may not like Samsung phones, but millions upon millions on Android do, something Nokia could only wish they could accomplish. I see far too many complaints that Samsung is recycling their design for the ATIV SE. Look at all the Samsung phones in the last few years, they practically all look the same, just minor changes. People keep buying them. iPhone barely makes any changes, if any at all for years, and people go bonkers over it. It's 2014 and still there is no iPhone yet above a 4 inch screen, yet people are still buying them. We all will have opinions about which phone we like better and why, but in the world of Windows Phones where choices are slim, we should ultimately have an understanding that others are welcome. Nokia will not grow the OS on it's own. We need Samsung, HTC and others to take part and put an effort to support Windows Phones. Diversity and choices is what will help give people options who are coming from other devices to choose from.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
People really need to chill out. I mean seriously. This thread is asking people whether they prefer the Icon or the Ativ SE and people are GIVING THEIR OPINIONS in response. Why does that automatically equal being biased? Those who are Samsung fans really need to take a deep breath and relax. Your phone manufacturer of choice is far from being a god, and the same goes for our phone manufacturer of choice as Nokia fans. Sheesh... There must be a good reason you guys are so overly sensitive and take Nokia fans' opinions so personally.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day, WP8 hard wise doesn't have much choices right now. The 1520, Icon and Ativ SE are the top high end models. Lucky for Verizon, it has two of the top 3 to choose from. The carrier I use, t-mo, it's better off your being your own device than buy anything they have.

I'm not going to split hairs here. Again. Point is that at least Verizon users have a choice between the best available right now. You cannot go wrong there with either model. Seriously.

As said before, my all time favourite WP still is the Focus S. The best WP8 designs so far from a purely aesthetic perspective are the 8X and the 925 (which I currently own both). If I were a new smartphone buyer or someone upgrading from an older WP, I'd first decide what my needs are before picking between these two. If I need more storage space and a slightly lighter phone, the SE is the choice. If I want the perk of wireless charging and a more versatile camera, the Icon is the choice. People can bring up app exclusive deals -which we will see how that now works since the sale closed on friday- and kvtech about which type of plastic they like better, but the truth is that MSFT needs more OEMs to offer a broader range of hardware on more carriers. If they didn't think that was necessary, they wouldn't have dropped the WP8 license fees.

Batt1eRatt1e

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok everyone, I am prepared to backtrack on some statements. I traded the ATIV SE for the Icon. All I will say is wow! What a difference! And I mean in a good way.

Batt1eRatt1e

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I had a lapse of judgment. The Icon is so quality it makes my old iPhone 5S look like a childs toy. This is what a phone is supposed to be. I still stand by my comments that choice is good though. Got the Otterbox Defender, which is always hit or miss for me. Its trash. Took it off after a few hours. I'll have the Trident Cyclops case tomorrow.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I had a lapse of judgment. The Icon is so quality it makes my old iPhone 5S look like a childs toy. This is what a phone is supposed to be. I still stand by my comments that choice is good though. Got the Otterbox Defender, which is always hit or miss for me. Its trash. Took it off after a few hours. I'll have the Trident Cyclops case tomorrow.

Interesting. This doesn't really sway me either way as that's a purely subjective claim. After playing with both phones on several occasions now I feel the Samsung has just as high of a build quality and feel to it as the Icon. If anything the Icon feels heavier and clunkier to me. I guess it all depends on what one deems as quality. While many have said, both have their pros and cons, functionality wise I'm still leaning Samsung as soon as the official 8.1 is released.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Enjoy! :)

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

So you're just referring to build/looks? But still putting a big case on it.

Ok.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Good to see someone sees the light :) welcome to the icon side haha

BrooklynGal

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
For those of you who have had the Icon for a few months....how has the battery performance been? Need to make my decision soon. I still prefer the removable battery.

anon(8730639)

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Tried out the Ativ SE in a Microsoft store. It's not terrible, but it's also not that special either. It has good specs and functions fine, but just seems kinda lazy and uninteresting compared to other WP devices out there. I also hate that they stuck with the glossy back and didn't go for the dimpled back on the Galaxy S5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon