Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrooklynGal

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm torn as well. I'm concerned with all the "glitches" I read concerning the Icon. Then again, since the ATIV SE has not been reviewed by many and has not been around that long, who is to say it won't have any. I know the 8.1 update has not been handled well by the ATIV SE.
So far:
Icon Pros..brighter screen (especially when I use Google search), more detail in photos, built in FM radio.
ATIV SE Pros..SD card, removable battery, a touch faster screen, home button.

According to the storage check overview detail on the Icon, out of the 29gb available, I have just about 21gb remaining. I'm a bit concerned about that.
Will purchase a blue tooth headset with built fm radio and test it with the ATIV SE.

Last edited:

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I know the 8.1 update has not been handled well by the ATIV SE.

Isn't 8.1 still just a "Developer's Preview"? I don't understand how this is an official negative for the ATIV SE seeing as it's not an official release, especially not for the ATIV SE specifically. I will hold judgement on 8.1 for the ATIV SE or any other Windows Phone devices until the official updates.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Isn't 8.1 still just a "Developer's Preview"? I don't understand how this is an official negative for the ATIV SE seeing as it's not an official release, especially not for the ATIV SE specifically. I will hold judgement on 8.1 for the ATIV SE or any other Windows Phone devices until the official updates.

Same here. I wouldn't jump into 8.1 in the first place seeing how the most common complaint is battery life takes a hit.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

OHardy

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I would go with the ATIV SE hands down. It would be a day one buy for any Sammy or HTC WP8 Flagship phone on Tmobile. My 925 was one of my worse upgrade decisions, it offers nothing original from my 8X or unlocked ATIV S.

Could you kindly post the specs & features of the NL925 & HTC 8X for comparison please?

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes. It's not a consumer release, so people shouldn't be so shocked that it doesn't work well on their main device.

BrooklynGal

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
My mistake and thanks for pointing this out...I didn't know that the 8.1 upgrade was a "Developer's Preview." Features/glitches can certainly improve once the official release happens.
Thanks!

Novron

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
My mistake and thanks for pointing this out...I didn't know that the 8.1 upgrade was a "Developer's Preview." Features/glitches can certainly improve once the official release happens.
Thanks!

Yes, all the hardware glitches will get resolved with the firmware updates that roll out along with 8.1 when it's officially released. Samsungs, Nokias, they'll all get fixed. If they didn't, there is no way in hell the carriers would let any OEM's do direct updates anymore.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That's what Micah told me :grin:
Technically they do "support" their devices by updating them but aside from a few hardware differences, very little about them make them better than their competitors especially since when buying a Samsung or HTC you sort of get the base windows phone experience compared To a more customized user experience. So I should say "limited support" for Samsung which is true

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I want no part of dealing with an SD card.

I am the same way. I mean I use it now simply because my 1520 has only 16gb but I would be fine with the icons memory. SD cards always seem to get screwed up for me and I'm not the person who feels the need to keep popping two or three different SD cards in my phone nor do I need a128 GB of storage which imo is overkill ro an extreme.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm torn as well. I'm concerned with all the "glitches" I read concerning the Icon. Then again, since the ATIV SE has not been reviewed by many and has not been around that long, who is to say it won't have any. I know the 8.1 update has not been handled well by the ATIV SE.
So far:
Icon Pros..brighter screen (especially when I use Google search), more detail in photos, built in FM radio.
ATIV SE Pros..SD card, removable battery, a touch faster screen, home button.

According to the storage check overview detail on the Icon, out of the 29gb available, I have just about 21gb remaining. I'm a bit concerned about that.
Will purchase a blue tooth headset with built fm radio and test it with the ATIV SE.
My boyfriend hasn't installed the dp on his icon but for me this is my second time doing it with Nokia phone(1020 and 1520).
The pros imo do outweigh my cons.
My main issues were the reboots(which have stopped) and the extremely flaky wifi signal and mobile network on my 1520. But this comes from using a beta software thus I dont blame my phone as it was fine with it and it is bearable just a mild annoyance.

My rroommate does have dp on his icon and absolutely loves it. No complaints from him.

It is a shame not many people are about the ativ se. I can understand why of course but I do want to see a professional reviewer talk about their take on the device. Even Wpc hasn't done one or winbeta and wpu, which says a lot.

BrooklynGal

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Discovering that the call quality is not as good using the Icon as it is with the Ativ SE. I think holding it may be pressing against the wireless charging unit and "dulling" the call. Will try a different case. I have to say though, the shutter button on the Icon is a plus. The bluetooth with the built in FM radio sounds very good on the SE. Though, my main uses for my phone are calling, texting, and Web browsing. I generally do not take many photos with the phone.
Was looking at my old Samsung Omnia ll...built in FM radio, camera button, sd card, removable battery, and two music players..one being Windows Media Player. Ah, the good old days.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Discovering that the call quality is not as good using the Icon as it is with the Ativ SE. I think holding it may be pressing against the wireless charging unit and "dulling" the call. Will try a different case. I have to say though, the shutter button on the Icon is a plus. The bluetooth with the built in FM radio sounds very good on the SE.
Was looking at my old Samsung Omnia ll...built in FM radio, camera button, sd card, removable battery, and two music players..one being Windows Media Player. Ah, the good old days.
Yeah I notice that with my 1520 my call quality is much better than the icons though it isn't horrible by any means though. But I do note what you're talking about.

In all honesty I can't imagine a phone without a camera button much like some of these people can't imagine a phone without SD card support. It truly is a lifesaver for those of us who want t really get the best photos without much error vs touching the screen.

If only windows phone would let you map the buttons.

BrooklynGal

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you regarding the button mapping. With an additional update, I wish the volume button could be programmed as a shutter button. Ah yes...to wish.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I am the same way. I mean I use it now simply because my 1520 has only 16gb but I would be fine with the icons memory. SD cards always seem to get screwed up for me and I'm not the person who feels the need to keep popping two or three different SD cards in my phone nor do I need a128 GB of storage which imo is overkill ro an extreme.

I, I, I, me, me, me. Again, that's great that YOU don't need the extra space and YOU get along just fine with 32gb and YOU think 128gb is overkill and YOU don't want to swap out SD cards, but there are plenty of others that find that option a higher priority over whatever advantages the Icon brings to the table ;)

Myself, among many other people have had zero issues with SD cards, and once we pop in a significant sized card, there is zero need to swap cards. I mean, I'm sure there are people out there that would tell you that 16GB is MORE than enough memory to get by and you don't even need an SD card with the 1520. I find your "opinions" on what you think is the proper amount of storage for everyone hilarious... Are you a politician? :)

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
On a somewhat related but not related note, did anyone see this story about the HTC W8?

HTC W8 reported to be a 'flagship' Windows Phone 8.1 release for Verizon | Windows Phone Central

Looks like the Verizon store rep whose HTC sales rep told him there would me a high-end HTC Windows Phone in the works had the inside track. Anyone have any interest in this?

I saw my cousins M8 One yesterday, and if the Windows Phone is anything like it, I'm definitely interested in taking a look.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
On a somewhat related but not related note, did anyone see this story about the HTC W8?

HTC W8 reported to be a 'flagship' Windows Phone 8.1 release for Verizon | Windows Phone Central

Looks like the Verizon store rep whose HTC sales rep told him there would me a high-end HTC Windows Phone in the works had the inside track. Anyone have any interest in this?

I saw my cousins M8 One yesterday, and if the Windows Phone is anything like it, I'm definitely interested in taking a look.

I would love a windows phone based on the M8. Either this or the Ativ would be the phone I'd love to get. I'm sure this HTC offering will be crucified by the Nokia fans just as the Ativ has in this thread though.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Nokia fanboys will crucify anything that isn't Nokia.
Lmao.

As a Nokia ****** I likely won't say too much negative about it. I actually think the the windows phone 8x is the best original windows phone which is what I had before the 810 and 920.

It's just Samsung and it's products really :) HTC makes better hardware than Samsung that doesn't feels premium on android so I expect the same here.

But you know at least the Ativ se has an sd card slot :p

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I, I, I, me, me, me. Again, that's great that YOU don't need the extra space and YOU get along just fine with 32gb and YOU think 128gb is overkill and YOU don't want to swap out SD cards, but there are plenty of others that find that option a higher priority over whatever advantages the Icon brings to the table ;)

Myself, among many other people have had zero issues with SD cards, and once we pop in a significant sized card, there is zero need to swap cards. I mean, I'm sure there are people out there that would tell you that 16GB is MORE than enough memory to get by and you don't even need an SD card with the 1520. I find your "opinions" on what you think is the proper amount of storage for everyone hilarious... Are you a politician? :)
Okay of course I speak for myself. I can't speak for others or else I wind up looking foolish like some people in this thread speaking against Nokia and their products.

I agreed with another poster about why i hated SD cards and explained why. Of all my posts to try and dispute that wasn't one of em.

SD cards are dated imo

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon