The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-02-2015 07:03 PM
113 1234 ...
tools
    So I take it the 8.1 install is still not up to par? Of which leads to no cortana?
    09-10-2014 07:32 AM
    Lets not give up on our 8.1 update. Someone has got to know something or someone with inside information. Remember the Version update sheets that always found their way online when Android was going through major updates. maybe the new iPhones will put pressure on Samsung to update the firmware, or is that a Verizon issue also?
    09-12-2014 05:36 AM
    New update today, lets see if it solves any bugs.
    09-24-2014 12:40 PM
    I installed the update and it locked up on me within 30 seconds of completing the update.

I have begun to seriously despise this phone. I'm going to just take my loses and go get the HTC One for Windows or an Icon after work today. Last Samsung phone I will ever own.
    Last edited by ToryWho; 09-24-2014 at 01:14 PM.
    09-24-2014 01:01 PM
    Well... Since the issue I had while updating yesterday, the phone has been rock solid. NONE of the annoying issues have shown up. Not a lock up. Not a reboot. The WiFi is connecting consistently when I move from place to place, and it seems like all the input lag on the home screen is gone. It is instantly responsive. The only thing I've noticed is that the battery seems to be draining a bit faster, but not enough that I couldn't live with it if the other issues are truly gone.

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but maybe that update actually helped. I'll check back in if I have any further problems. (And sorry for my rant yesterday.)
    09-25-2014 08:52 AM
    I would love to get an daily update, you might be the first person to successfully update. Do you have Cortona now?
    09-25-2014 05:41 PM
    I've been running 8.1 for months, including Cortana. It has just been very unstable.

However, since the update yesterday, it has been awesome. It is showing an uptime of 22 hours without a single lockup, random reboot, or any of the other problems I've had daily for the last several months. I'm thrilled at how well it is running. This is the first time I've made it through an entire day without a problem.

I will keep you updated.
    09-25-2014 08:41 PM
    I am up to 1 Day and 14 hours of up-time. No crashes, consistent WiFi connections, no non-responsive touch screen. I'm in awe of how stable the phone is. I'm wondering if they pushed some kind of firmware update along with the 8.1.1 update. Unfortunately I don't know what my previous firmware version was. Right now I'm at 2218.14.03.2 if anyone wants to compare.
    09-26-2014 09:23 AM
    I am up to 1 Day and 14 hours of up-time. No crashes, consistent WiFi connections, no non-responsive touch screen. I'm in awe of how stable the phone is. I'm wondering if they pushed some kind of firmware update along with the 8.1.1 update. Unfortunately I don't know what my previous firmware version was. Right now I'm at 2218.14.03.2 if anyone wants to compare.
    Same version on 8.0
    Last edited by Igor Fedorov1; 09-26-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    09-26-2014 11:31 AM
    I have the latest version installed, but i still getting a lockup every day...
    09-26-2014 12:27 PM
    Decided to try the update last night on my Samsung ATIV SE and so far everything is working as expected. It took several updates to get to the latest update, I am assuming it was because I was running the standard software. Cortana shows it is the Beta version and still needs some work interacting with my voice and talking to me, but other than that my phone is working fine and I have all the new features WP has to offer. I will keep this post updated and hopefully continue to share my success.

Update #1
    24 hours later still working normal. I also decided to do a complete reset of my phone and delete all the data and applications just to see what would happen. Not sure why but Cortana is working much better after the "Clean Install". I figure it works for my PC, why not my phone.

Update #2 Friday 10/3
    Had 2 issues one lock up and one random reboot while at a trade show with very bad reception. Both happened while the calendar reminder popped up and I was trying to make a call at the same time. Other than that the phone has been stable and working fine. Cortana is working fine, I used it 30 or 40 times while in Chicago. No issues at all the past 2 days. Also to clear the lockup I pressed the volume down and the power on button at the same time, 20 seconds later I was up and running.
    Last edited by Scottdd; 10-03-2014 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Added Update
    09-27-2014 08:35 AM
    After a couple of days of unusual stability after the last preview update, my phone has gone back to the random reboots and lockups again. *sigh*
    09-28-2014 02:55 AM
    After two days of stability I catch lockup and reboot, and this happen when I listen music via bluetooth in my car (twice). My old Ativ S has same problem with bluetooth on 8.0 and 8.1! Samsung suck! sorry for my english.
    09-29-2014 02:33 AM
    After two days of stability I catch lockup and reboot, and this happen when I listen music via bluetooth in my car (twice). My old Ativ S has same problem with bluetooth on 8.0 and 8.1! Samsung suck! sorry for my english.
    That's why I don't buy anything else than a Lumia.
    09-29-2014 03:39 AM
    Battery definitely drains fast, I don't know why. Over all the phone is MUCH more stable.

I'm not using the phone with Verizon. For the most part everything works as it should on T-Mobile but I for MMS messages I can send them but not receive them. A message just pops up that says "OPPS! the message your trying to download has been deleted from the server"

And internet sharing. There is an app called Tether-X that's a work around but it's still really annoying. Wish SamSung would hurry up and release their WP8.1 already.
    09-30-2014 12:50 AM
    I don't think that those last two problems are specific to W8 or8.1
    I have learned (from the XDA forums) that it appears Verizon locks (via firmware) the MMS and Internet sharing functions on
    all of their LTE phones.

Fred

Battery definitely drains fast, I don't know why. Over all the phone is MUCH more stable.

I'm not using the phone with Verizon. For the most part everything works as it should on T-Mobile but I for MMS messages I can send them but not receive them. A message just pops up that says "OPPS! the message your trying to download has been deleted from the server"

And internet sharing. There is an app called Tether-X that's a work around but it's still really annoying. Wish SamSung would hurry up and release their WP8.1 already.
    09-30-2014 01:14 PM
    Update #2 Friday 10/3
    Had 2 issues one lock up and one random reboot while at a trade show with very bad reception. Both happened while the calendar reminder popped up and I was trying to make a call at the same time. Other than that the phone has been stable and working fine. Cortana is working fine, I used it 30 or 40 times while in Chicago. No issues at all the past 2 days. Also to clear the lockup I pressed the volume down and the power on button at the same time, 20 seconds later I was up and running.
    10-03-2014 06:25 AM
    I've decided to brave the update on my Samsung ATIV SE. I installed it on my previous phone, the 8x, and had minor issues, but nothing I couldn't cope with. The issues on that device sound similar to what people are describing here. I'll post my experiences over the next few weeks for others that are considering the leap.

* Update 1: Installation and initial status *
    Installed the preview and accepted all the agreements. Three updates were run. The first was really fast, about 2 minutes. The remaining two took at least 20 minutes each. After all was said and done, no error messages, no data loss, so all good there. I've been texting and made a few calls this evening without a problem. Camera seems to work normally. No issues with anything I've found or any of the reported problems. But, it's only been 6 hours or so since I installed. Will update again in a day or two, or if problems are seen.

Loving having my features back, though. The notifications screen, ability to adjust volume for games/ringer independently, and of course, Cortana, were all worth it in my opinion.
    Last edited by ET2014; 10-03-2014 at 08:38 PM. Reason: updates on status
    10-03-2014 12:39 PM
    Update #3
    No problems all weekend. Not sure how long the battery should last but I can easily go an entire day and sometimes 2 depending on how much internet or GPS I use. Does anyone know if there will be another windows phone update this year, what is their release schedule?
    jasqid likes this.
    10-05-2014 08:33 PM
    Update #3
    No problems all weekend. Not sure how long the battery should last but I can easily go an entire day and sometimes 2 depending on how much internet or GPS I use. Does anyone know if there will be another windows phone update this year, what is their release schedule?
    So whats the deal right now? Seems like the last update worked out some things? My daughter really wanted this phone and I wasn't willing to do it. Free makes it better right now, but this thread didn't.
    10-06-2014 01:34 PM
    ET2014, Scottdd, how's it going on each of yours?

Both of you make it sound like it might finally be promising. Though my work phone, the Android, is mostly out of commission right now, so I can't really experiment on my Windows Phone until that's replaced.
    10-08-2014 01:46 PM
    I have had no problems all week, unless the phone is restarting when I am not using it, it is working fine. Now I do not have a ton of apps on the phone, maybe 30 total, mostly Samsung, Verizon and the usual Facebook, Twitter and so on. At this point I am not sorry I did it and even if I had to restart once a day I still like the features in 8.1. If I have any issues I will post an update, for now just waiting on the next update to see what new things Microsoft brings to the Windows Phone. Also, I did do a clean install after I did the upgrade because I wanted to start fresh. I did not use the phone's backup to restore. I entered all my info again and downloaded all my favorite applications.
    10-09-2014 08:35 PM
    Simple question. How is your battery holding up? About the same as 8.0 or less? Just curious as I just got my SE a couple days ago and am debating jumping on the DP.
    10-10-2014 08:54 AM
    So I ordered the Ativ SE for my daughter. She really wanted this one and since it was free thought Id pull the trigger. It arrived yesterday and last night we did the PFD update. It took 3 updates and reboots to get the latest. The version matches my 928 now. Upon first use of the camera after update it crashed the phone and rebooted automatically. Since that one time, it has been running fine. Today is a full test day. I'll know more about the battery condition when she gets home from school tonight.
    10-10-2014 12:14 PM
    Battery life for me is fine, depending on what I am doing it will last almost 2 days. I donot have a bunch of applications running on my phone, but I do use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth all the time.
    10-12-2014 07:09 PM
113 1234 ...