The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-01-2018 11:20 PM
423 1234 ...
tools
    Its smarter if you just install the SDKLite tools instead WestNZ, it installs much quicker, and the entire installation is self contained. I accidentally ended up installing the entire SDK Tools one time, and it took forever both to install and uninstall, unnecessary pain if you ask me. And yes, it is actually recommended to use the ATIV camera app for the time being as the MS Camera app is still a mess for us folks on the ATIV, and in some peoples opinion, for the entire WM community at large. So we're actually fortunate to have the native ATIV camera app work so well for us so far, even after the update and the difference in system/OS architecture now.

And I dont play Tetris Blitz so I cant comment on that or its performance. Sorry. :(

-- W
    07-15-2016 01:14 AM
    Its smarter if you just install the SDKLite tools instead WestNZ, it installs much quicker, and the entire installation is self contained. I accidentally ended up installing the entire SDK Tools one time, and it took forever both to install and uninstall, unnecessary pain if you ask me. And yes, it is actually recommended to use the ATIV camera app for the time being as the MS Camera app is still a mess for us folks on the ATIV, and in some peoples opinion, for the entire WM community at large. So we're actually fortunate to have the native ATIV camera app work so well for us so far, even after the update and the difference in system/OS architecture now.

And I dont play Tetris Blitz so I cant comment on that or its performance. Sorry. :(

-- W
    cool umm have you played any games on this build? ie what im getting at is if this is an isolated problem with tetris blitz or game wide on the system.

thanks.
    07-15-2016 01:43 AM
    I usually dont game on my phones so I cant say much about it, the only game I ever or sometimes play on my phones is Microsoft Solitaire Collection. And sadly, it plays just as badly on my ATIV SE as it did on my 521, and this is both on WP 8.1, and WM10. :(

-- W
    07-15-2016 11:08 PM
    Hi,
    I tried that but everything worked like a charm until the phone got stuck while starting during update procedure. Any luck that it can be brought online again?
    07-22-2016 07:23 AM
    Yes, just download and use the WDRT tools, and flash your device back to WP8.1 and we're good to go Karanveer. :)

Check the instructions for that.

-- W
    Karanveer Singh likes this.
    07-22-2016 11:03 AM
    Hi,
    I tried that but everything worked like a charm until the phone got stuck while starting during update procedure. Any luck that it can be brought online again?
    Yes, just download and use the WDRT tools, and flash your device back to WP8.1 and we're good to go Karanveer. :)

Check the instructions for that.

-- W
    I have a short guide on my thread here I provide a link to the flashing program in that short guide.

- RW
    07-22-2016 12:49 PM
    Yasss, thank you RW, sorry I forgot to quote the link to your thread there friend. I keep confusing which of the two threads it is, all the darn time! :(

Stupid, I know.

Edit: I just realised I was on the right thread, and now I feel even more retarded. :P

-- W
    07-23-2016 12:20 AM
    well Thanks a ton! That did it. I've again tried updating the phone to windows phone 10, it worked good this time, no bricked phones. The phone has been updated to windows 8.10.14219.341, thereafter it isn't showing any updates to windows 10....
    07-23-2016 02:34 AM
    Yasss, thank you RW, sorry I forgot to quote the link to your thread there friend. I keep confusing which of the two threads it is, all the darn time! :(

Stupid, I know.

Edit: I just realised I was on the right thread, and now I feel even more retarded. :P

-- W
    well Thanks a ton! That did it. I've again tried updating the phone to windows phone 10, it worked good this time, no bricked phones. The phone has been updated to windows 8.10.14219.341, thereafter it isn't showing any updates to windows 10....
    No problem W. We all have those moments once in a while.

Your welcome, Karanveer. I believe you should now have a choice in Settings -> Update and security for Windows Insider Program. If so, you may need to set up for the Fast Ring under that so you can get the latest updates. (I had to) Then you can uninstall the WIP app on the phone. It is no longer needed for Redstone builds.

- RW
    07-23-2016 09:58 AM
    My Ativ-Se Verizon will not update. I have went thru this guide precisely. I have gone thru the other guide on windows central precisely at least 4 times including re flashing back to 8.0 twice. I am using "RM-927_nam_vzw_100" in the appropriate places since I am on Verizon service. When I check for updates my phone continuously says "your phone is up to date". Any advice will be appreciated.
    Jeemo likes this.
    07-27-2016 05:58 PM
    My Ativ-Se Verizon will not update. I have went thru this guide precisely. I have gone thru the other guide on windows central precisely at least 4 times including re flashing back to 8.0 twice. I am using "RM-927_nam_vzw_100" in the appropriate places since I am on Verizon service. When I check for updates my phone continuously says "your phone is up to date". Any advice will be appreciated.
    Diesel,

First, if you didn't do it initially, reboot your phone. Sometimes it's as simple as that. If that doesn't work, remove the "_nam_vzw_100" in the registry keys and reboot your phone. If that works you can then put the Verizon registry values back in. If it doesn't work, PM Jeemo; he may be able to help also. I've learned a lot about our beloved ATIV SE phones, of which a great deal came from him. On that note, I may be missing something here, since I can't see your phone settings but I'm hoping you get it working. If you have any more questions, or troubles, feel free to ask.

- RW
    Jeemo likes this.
    07-27-2016 06:22 PM
    Thanks for the forward rmabwing5. I suggested that he try Upgrade Advisor with the Verizon-trailed Icon values, and to get the other DeviceTargetingInfo values from someone running a stock Icon at 8.1.1 if necessary (like the firmware revision, for example). I'm looking forward to his results, as the information would be very useful for adjusting both of our tutorials for anyone starting fresh going forward.

Dieselrod1, let us know if you have issues getting more values from the Icon (if that's necessary). Someone in these threads might have an Icon. We/you also could also make a post in the Lumia Icon subforum requesting this info. I made a thread requesting that several months ago and got no replies, but it could have just been a result of timing.
    07-28-2016 01:54 AM
    I located a screen shot of user shantahans ICON. I plugged in the following values, rebooted, and bam my verizon Ativ-se found the updates.
    PhoneHardwareVarient: RM-927
    PhoneManufacturer: NOKIA
    PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-927_nam_vzw_100
    PhoneModelName: Lumia 929
    screenshot-3-.png
    07-29-2016 08:26 PM
    So, I'm back, and I have a question folks. WC is saying all release ring phones have been shifted, including those on the Release Preview, to the RTM RedStone builds. Can any of the good folks here with spare or testing phones confirm this over our ATIVs too? And whether we have hard reset capabilities returned to us on our devices or not?

I'm asking first instead of trying this myself because I want to hold back on any potentially phone breaking updates until I know we have the Hard Resets back on RedStone too since this is my primary, and I think we have all recorded the amount of trouble I have had the last time I tried going from 8.1 to 10 again on my phone. :(

-- W
    07-30-2016 10:59 AM
    Also, could some kind soul please direct me towards tethering/mobile hotspot values? It is driving me crazy. And insane. Because all of my data keeps going to waste because I cant share it between my devices. Pretty pretty please? I'm obviously not a Verizon customer, God forbid, and I know that there is a tethering workaround based on registry changes, because that is how we ended up spoofing our way to WM10 in the first place. So yes, help? :)

-- W
    07-31-2016 10:11 AM
    So, I'm back, and I have a question folks. WC is saying all release ring phones have been shifted, including those on the Release Preview, to the RTM RedStone builds. Can any of the good folks here with spare or testing phones confirm this over our ATIVs too? And whether we have hard reset capabilities returned to us on our devices or not?

I'm asking first instead of trying this myself because I want to hold back on any potentially phone breaking updates until I know we have the Hard Resets back on RedStone too since this is my primary, and I think we have all recorded the amount of trouble I have had the last time I tried going from 8.1 to 10 again on my phone. :(

-- W
    Also, could some kind soul please direct me towards tethering/mobile hotspot values? It is driving me crazy. And insane. Because all of my data keeps going to waste because I cant share it between my devices. Pretty pretty please? I'm obviously not a Verizon customer, God forbid, and I know that there is a tethering workaround based on registry changes, because that is how we ended up spoofing our way to WM10 in the first place. So yes, help? :)

-- W
    As far as I can tell Release Preview is up to date with Redstone but will not update Threshold to latest Redstone. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know, but my daily driver (Threshold - 10586) is on Release Preview and will not update to Redstone. My test phone is on Redstone and when I put it on Release Preview it updated to the latest Redstone build. I know this to be true because when I put it back on Fast (Ring) it stayed at the current Redstone build. Make sense? Anyway, my daily driver is still on Release Preview and 10586 and will not update any further at this time.

As far as the tethering; I'm not sure how to get that to work, nor do I know the registry hacks to do so. Maybe someone else can help. I'd like to know myself.

- RW
    07-31-2016 10:01 PM
    As far as I can tell Release Preview is up to date with Redstone but will not update Threshold to latest Redstone. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know, but my daily driver (Threshold - 10586) is on Release Preview and will not update to Redstone. My test phone is on Redstone and when I put it on Release Preview it updated to the latest Redstone build. I know this to be true because when I put it back on Fast (Ring) it stayed at the current Redstone build. Make sense? Anyway, my daily driver is still on Release Preview and 10586 and will not update any further at this time.

As far as the tethering; I'm not sure how to get that to work, nor do I know the registry hacks to do so. Maybe someone else can help. I'd like to know myself.

- RW
    I'm getting the same results with my two phones; but...i'm using my Redstone version 1607 build 14393.5 as my daily driver, and LOVE it! Battery life is unbelievable! Some minor issues: my Ativ Camera is sometimes quirky and 'looses' pics after I take them; my Bluetooth connections sometimes take a few tries to work; the Brightness control is sometimes wonky, and I need to scroll through to get the right setting. I'm really happy with this build!!!
    07-31-2016 11:48 PM

-- W
    My one phone set to Release Preview is not updating to Redstone; it's staying at 1511 build 10586.494
    07-31-2016 11:56 PM
    I located a screen shot of user shantahan’s ICON. I plugged in the following values, rebooted, and bam my verizon Ativ-se found the updates.
    PhoneHardwareVarient: RM-927
    PhoneManufacturer: NOKIA
    PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-927_nam_vzw_100
    PhoneModelName: Lumia 929
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (3).png 
Views:	8 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	128977
    I'm using these settings and my phone is running awesome!!
    wp_ss_20160731_0001.jpg
    08-01-2016 12:46 AM
    RW, the instructions are lost somewhere in the very first WM10 thread on our forum if I remember correctly, but for the life of me I cant seem to find them anymore. :/

And I take it then, will this be the end of the line for upgrades for us then, without spoofing our way around to a higher release ring?

-- W
    08-01-2016 03:05 AM
    Okay I can verify what Darrell has reported here, as I set up my ATIV SE back again for Release Preview, out of the production ring, to the same results as poor Darrell - and now poor me too. Sniff sniff. :'(

BUT. My good captive audience and you good excellent folks! :D I have some good news, very very very good news. After going through alot of active turding, I was able to get just the right registry values out of the blue abyss that is the interwebs, and the obscure 4Chan like world of XDA for WM. Which is actually kind of sad, since XDA was the original home for WM ROM cooking and the original HTC enthusiast site - all the way from a decade and a quarter ago. Sad, how times change. But I digress.

The magic... guess what... wait for it... Legen-dary!!! TETHERING AND MOBILE/WIFI HOTSPOT IS BACK FOLKS! I REPEAT, TETHERING AND MOBILE HOTSPOT IS BACKKKKK!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Anyways, pardon my excitement, since this is a primary use case for any data enabled smartphone I carry. So this was a hugggeee deal for me. Because I had second thoughts every other week about switching out to my Lumia 640 just for this/because of it. But, now I have it back, so my epic phone continues to remain epically so.

And now, for the instructions, I repeat this will work for all carriers. Even though I sourced it out of a few XDA threads which were only carrier specific for a couple of service providers, I'm putting the instructions down here in concise - and for all carriers. So it will unlock Wireless Tethering irrespective of your country of origin or cellular service.

Prelude/Preamble.
    So we're supposed to get the RootTool.xap up and running, as per RW's guide. And once it is there. We're supposed to make the following changes to the registry. I'm going to list down the registry changes first. And then interpret how they're meant to be undertaken afterwards. You can make these changes in any order. Or any other Root Tool if you are more comfortable using another application. It isnt really important, as long as you write them all down, and reboot/restart your phone afterwards.

Step 0.
    These are the following registry changes we will need to make.

HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings
    EntitlementRequired = 0

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX
    HideMMSAPN = 0
    HideAPN = 0

And now about how to go around making them through the RootTool application. Follow the same process we followed for Device ID spoofing.

Steps:

1. Open the Registry Tool for all Windows Devices.

2. Check HKLM. This is the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" button.

3. Check the "Check if Value is DWORD" button.

4. In the Registry Paths, input all the pathways in order of change. Starting with the first:
    "System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings"

5. For Registry Key for this pathway, put in the underlying string:
    "EntitlementRequired"

6. And for Registry Value, put in the DWord:
    "0"

7. Now write the value in, if it is successful, it will change the Registry Value to show true.

8. Repeat for the pathway, "Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX".

9. With Registry key strings:
    "HideMMSAPN"
    "HideAPN"

And their Registry Value DWords: "0"

Do each of these and write them one by one, respectively. Make sure the Registry Values say True, once written.

DWord is a signifier of a value or a string being True or False, or 1 or 0. And so you know what to do if for some reason you want to give the phone to someone and troll them or you feel like being cruel to them and taking their Tethering away. Highschool Logic Design 101. Highschool mentality 101 too, sadly. -__- :/

10. And reboot your phone. Now check to see and your mobile Hotspot should be working all of a sudden, out of the blue. Magic! Viola!

Note:
    Also, RW, since this is simply a continuation of the registry edits you make for device spoofing post upgrade to your device. It would be nice if you added this onto your original guide at the end of the How-To with a little note about adding HotSpot and Tethering capabilities to the phone. Something that Verizon is so kind as to take away from all of us users. Especially those not on their network, using and loving a phone neither they, nor Samsung, and by extension Microsoft, care to support. Because we love our platform. :)

Sauce:
    Thanks to GTF696 on XDA forums for figuring out the right registry keys and values and posting his findings. His post for a little more obscure or carrier specific details can be found on his thread over at the XDA forum here.
    [Q&A] [Research and Reference] Samsung A€ | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

But really, dont bother getting lost in there, theres a bunch of sources and values in there that we really dont need to get the Tethering to just work. The fewer the registry changes the better. Less things to break, so just the bare essentials needed for a performant service. And also because these are all going to be a PITA to put in after every hard reset. :P Though I really like the Tethering on WM10 now that I've seen it, much more informative than the settings page on WP8.1. :)

And that my good friends and companions, will be all for today from me. :) ^_^

-- W
    08-02-2016 02:50 PM
    Okay I can verify what Darrell has reported here, as I set up my ATIV SE back again for Release Preview, out of the production ring, to the same results as poor Darrell - and now poor me too. Sniff sniff. :'(

BUT. My good captive audience and you good excellent folks! :D I have some good news, very very very good news. After going through alot of active turding, I was able to get just the right registry values out of the blue abyss that is the interwebs, and the obscure 4Chan like world of XDA for WM. Which is actually kind of sad, since XDA was the original home for WM ROM cooking and the original HTC enthusiast site - all the way from a decade and a quarter ago. Sad, how times change. But I digress.

The magic... guess what... wait for it... Legen-dary!!! TETHERING AND MOBILE/WIFI HOTSPOT IS BACK FOLKS! I REPEAT, TETHERING AND MOBILE HOTSPOT IS BACKKKKK!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Anyways, pardon my excitement, since this is a primary use case for any data enabled smartphone I carry. So this was a hugggeee deal for me. Because I had second thoughts every other week about switching out to my Lumia 640 just for this/because of it. But, now I have it back, so my epic phone continues to remain epically so.

And now, for the instructions, I repeat this will work for all carriers. Even though I sourced it out of a few XDA threads which were only carrier specific for a couple of service providers, I'm putting the instructions down here in concise - and for all carriers. So it will unlock Wireless Tethering irrespective of your country of origin or cellular service.

Prelude/Preamble.
    So we're supposed to get the RootTool.xap up and running, as per RW's guide. And once it is there. We're supposed to make the following changes to the registry. I'm going to list down the registry changes first. And then interpret how they're meant to be undertaken afterwards. You can make these changes in any order. Or any other Root Tool if you are more comfortable using another application. It isnt really important, as long as you write them all down, and reboot/restart your phone afterwards.

Step 0.
    These are the following registry changes we will need to make.

HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings
    EntitlementRequired = 0

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX
    HideMMSAPN = 0
    HideAPN = 0

And now about how to go around making them through the RootTool application. Follow the same process we followed for Device ID spoofing.

Steps:

1. Open the Registry Tool for all Windows Devices.

2. Check HKLM. This is the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" button.

3. Check the "Check if Value is DWORD" button.

4. In the Registry Paths, input all the pathways in order of change. Starting with the first:
    "System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings"

5. For Registry Key for this pathway, put in the underlying string:
    "EntitlementRequired"

6. And for Registry Value, put in the DWord:
    "0"

7. Now write the value in, if it is successful, it will change the Registry Value to show true.

8. Repeat for the pathway, "Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX".

9. With Registry key strings:
    "HideMMSAPN"
    "HideAPN"

And their Registry Value DWords: "0"

Do each of these and write them one by one, respectively. Make sure the Registry Values say True, once written.

DWord is a signifier of a value or a string being True or False, or 1 or 0. And so you know what to do if for some reason you want to give the phone to someone and troll them or you feel like being cruel to them and taking their Tethering away. Highschool Logic Design 101. Highschool mentality 101 too, sadly. -__- :/

10. And reboot your phone. Now check to see and your mobile Hotspot should be working all of a sudden, out of the blue. Magic! Viola!

Note:
    Also, RW, since this is simply a continuation of the registry edits you make for device spoofing post upgrade to your device. It would be nice if you added this onto your original guide at the end of the How-To with a little note about adding HotSpot and Tethering capabilities to the phone. Something that Verizon is so kind as to take away from all of us users. Especially those not on their network, using and loving a phone neither they, nor Samsung, and by extension Microsoft, care to support. Because we love our platform. :)

Sauce:
    Thanks to GTF696 on XDA forums for figuring out the right registry keys and values and posting his findings. His post for a little more obscure or carrier specific details can be found on his thread over at the XDA forum here.
    [Q&A] [Research and Reference] Samsung A€ | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

But really, dont bother getting lost in there, theres a bunch of sources and values in there that we really dont need to get the Tethering to just work. The fewer the registry changes the better. Less things to break, so just the bare essentials needed for a performant service. And also because these are all going to be a PITA to put in after every hard reset. :P Though I really like the Tethering on WM10 now that I've seen it, much more informative than the settings page on WP8.1. :)

And that my good friends and companions, will be all for today from me. :) ^_^

-- W
    Okay, I tested this on my daily driver because my test phone doesn't have cell connection. I only use it for testing, typically. With that said, I can attest that tethering now works on my phone. I disconnected my tablet from my house wifi and connected to the phone Mobile Hot Spot. Works great. Fast too. Thanks W for this great information. Thanks to GTF696 over at XDA. Finally, we can use our hotspots without paying. Now we just have to see if we get caught....lol.

I updated my instructions to include the tethering hack. Enjoy.

- RW
    Last edited by rmabwing5; 08-02-2016 at 07:35 PM.
    08-02-2016 07:11 PM
    Well, I hope you dont get caught man. I just had to do it because all my data goes to waste thanks to the phone being unable to tether even when my plan and my service provider allows for it. Since I'm not Verizon, or in the States. On that note, Jeemo says that the ability to hard reset is back even for the RedStone builds now over on his thread. And that tethering works for him anyways on his RedStone device. Maybe we need to try and bring him on board here, he might be able to pitch in about our Release Preview devices not getting the upgrade?

-- W
    08-02-2016 10:01 PM
    Will this get updated to the 1607 Anniversary Update? I try setting it to fast insider and on reboot check for phone updates and it finds none?
    08-03-2016 06:38 AM
    We are all waiting with bated breath for the resolution to this question WestNZ. :(

-- W
    08-03-2016 09:08 AM
423 1234 ...