Samsung Omnia W GPS

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys
I got a Samsung Omnia W less than a week ago plus this is my first smartphone ever so bare with me if my question is stupid.

I was wondering how I can verify that the GPS on the phone is working (or even if it exists). I was browsing the settings menu and the menu in the Maps application but I couldn't see a single mention of the word "GPS". When I enable location in the settings the Maps app shows my location on the map but how does it get it? As far as I know there are two kinds of GPS - AGPS which uses the carrier infrastructure and the regular GPS which uses satellite. How do I know which if any is used? Are there any GPS settings in the OS? Do I need to get some particular app to access and/or use GPS?

Edit: And I just realized that I posted this in the wrong section of the forum :(

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral. I'm sure a mod will come along soon and move this thread for you, so no big deal. :)

Windows Phone handles GPS on its own. It can use real GPS, AGPS, or your Wifi's location. I believe that it is turned off unless called upon in an app in order to save battery. If you want to test it, I'd find an app that uses your GPS, to see how accurate it is. Try Bing>Local Search. If you don't like where it has placed you on the map, you can click the tiny map at the top and then choose "me".

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, Bing Local Search is a tragedy in Bulgaria. I haven't been able to find a single result in it yet (I assume I don't see a map because there are no results).

Edit: if I go to the map (where my location is displayed) I could activate the search that appears under the map and also has no results.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If available where you are, download gmaps from the Marketplace...it is free (there is a paid version as well), and does the same thing that Bing does, except it uses Google. You can test out your GPS that way...

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
If available where you are, download gmaps from the Marketplace...it is free (there is a paid version as well), and does the same thing that Bing does, except it uses Google. You can test out your GPS that way...
Thank you. This app did find my location and an indicator showing that it was using towers from the cellular network then at some point the satellite icon appeared.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon