10-04-2011 06:07 PM
49 12
tools
    I did the trick update and everything went fine till the moment I tried to setup my device. (unlocked Omnia 7 device on T-Mobile, the Netherlands) I reset the device to factory defaults. I have used my device with US settings and wanted to change them to Dutch settings. This didn't work as great as expected. During the setup it reverted back to... Portugese (?) I was not able to get the Samsung Zone in Marketplace and I missed some apps that were previously available. Trying to change al the settings to Dutch again kept me on the same result. Then I tried it all on another Samsung device (my daughter's) and that worked all fine. No problems on that devices and everything works smooth. This made me decide to do the factory reset again on my own device. Still went back to Portugese settings, but now it saved all the settings to Dutch and Samsung Zone is now available.

One little remark, not all Samsung apps seem to work on the Omnia 7. Allshare can be installed but is unsupported (?). Search in Marketplace on Samsung gives some additional apps, High Fideliy positioning and 'geavanceerde tekstberichten'. Both will go to the systempage. That last settings app doesn't seem to work either (cell broadcast message Off), nothing can be changed here.
    09-29-2011 03:42 AM
    If you force the Mango update on the Omnia 7 do you get the firmware updates as well?

Thanks.
    09-29-2011 09:41 AM
    If you force the Mango update on the Omnia 7 do you get the firmware updates as well?

Thanks.
    I did. I received the same firmwares as mentioned in one of the earlier threads of someone that received the updates the official way
    09-29-2011 09:54 AM
    Thanks LivinginaBox for such a swift response. That's good news.
    09-29-2011 09:57 AM
    I got the same firmwares received as francescos refers to in his comment:

http://www.windowscentral.com/samsun...comment_195276
    09-29-2011 10:19 AM
    Ah, great. I'd seen that post but wasn't sure whether he meant he had to get the firmware update outside of Zune (various Samsung firmwares seem to be available elsewhere).
    09-29-2011 10:37 AM
    T-Mobile branded here. Updated to 7232 using disconnect trick but then no more. Is TM going to turn on update or does phone have to be unlocked, debranded to update you think?
    09-29-2011 05:41 PM
    Well, I've had it... After Samsung and MS and T-Mobile failed to help me, i decided to fix it myself. I flashed my Omnia 7 with a clean (unbranded) Samsung ROM, and I'm currently running Mango.
    I've downloaded this ROM from samfirmware.com: I8700XXJK1 ## 2010 November I8700XENJK1 DOWNLOAD WP7_Product
    Here you will find more about flashing your Omnia 7 - Got a “bricked” Samsung Omnia 7 Windows Phone? Here’s the fix | WinRumors
    PS: Instead of downloading the flashtool provided, look for WP7 Downloader v. 7.41 on Google
    PPS: When your Phone goes into Download Mode, you don't have to wait 10 minutes. It's waiting for you to start flashing.(Just saying, because i waited 30 minutes and nothing happened :D)
    PPPS: This ROM contains build 7004, so you'll have to update it through Zune to 7720 (in my case I had to force the updates from 7392 on)
    PPPPS: DO NOT DISCONNECT. It will reboot twice (I wasn't paying attention and disconnected after the first reboot, almost created a very expensive brick!)
    Last edited by matejwp; 09-30-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    09-30-2011 12:49 PM
    i have a AT&T samsung focus but its unlocked for bell modility canada, and im getting really impatient waiting for the update message anyone know if i will even get the update ??????
    09-30-2011 04:48 PM
    i have a AT&T samsung focus but its unlocked for bell modility canada, and im getting really impatient waiting for the update message anyone know if i will even get the update ??????
    Focuses aren't affected, just try to force the update
    10-01-2011 11:08 AM
    So, T-Mobile UK, Samsung and Microsoft were all passing the buck, pointing at each other for the blame of the Omnia 7 not receiving the updates. Initially I thought this was a problem with the handset, so ultimately Samsung to blame.

However, why are Omnia 7 handsets on 3 UK and Orange UK, amongst other network carriers over the world updating?

This link from T-Mobile UK's (pathetic) support forum tells us whats happening with their mango updates:

T-Mobile Discussions - Discussions - Software updates

So, the problem lies with T-Mobile, surely they should have been doing all their testing weeks ago like other carriers were???!!!

Totally unacceptable from T-Mobile.
    10-01-2011 05:40 PM
    Hi everyone, its good to see some of you have been able to get the update and have had no problems installing. I on the other hand have had abit of an issue, here is the run down.

I have my Omnia 7 on Orange UK and it was chevron unlocked (though i do have the option to legit unlock since i am a student). I had to force update my phone to NoDo back when the whole nodo fiasco happened as Orange UK did not officially push the update until about a month after its official MS release. I kept the phone in "chevron unlocked NoDo" mode until i heard the old force update trick worked on Mango. So i figured i would give it a try. [By the way I IMEI unlocked my phone the first chance i could in December 2010 :)]

I was able to get the pre-mango update to turn up no problem using the force update trick and it installed fine. I then did the force update trick again and this time the final mango update turned up and i installed that. Phone restarted fine and all was good with the world when i saw the new WP7 Logo :) But it was when i started to inspect things further that i discovered afew problems. First was the absence of the Samsung Zone and Orange Selects in the marketplace this had me worried but i figured that it was just a problem with the marketplace needing an update or something. I have seen on this thread afew other share this problem, has there been any resolution found to this? Could be the update we are getting by forcing it have some carrier config settings missing?

I then find out that my sideloaded apps were no longer working, but i was certain that since my phone was already chevron unlocked and my interop value in the registry was already above 300 (2173456 to be exact) that this would not be a problem but it turned out I was wrong. After that I attempted to sideload Heathcliff's Interop solution for Mango but my phone would not have any of it and my app deployment tools ( tried Toms & Windows Dev) kept saying my phone was not connected, i did afew resets and the problem still persisted (windows based applications were all run in admin mode).

At this point i pretty much decided Mango was for me incomplete as i could not sideload any apps so I resolved to restore my phone to Nodo (Chev unlocked mode) and then try the interop reg key again in nodo since mango was being problematic. But my restore failed and my phone got locked in the restore cycle that i think is described by one of the posters above. Rather than flash my phone to a vanilla rom as the previous poster did (as i want to keep access to things like orange maps since i pay extra for it) i just called up orange and explained to them that my phone was in a restore cycle; the orange team pretty much did not bother trying to resolve it and just said we will send you a new phone tomorrow, I got the new phone and it was loaded with 7004. Thing is i think it was due to my lack of space on the phone that it got locked in restore cycle but meh got a new phone 5gb of space free now.

So I chevron unlocked it, loaded the latest wp7 root tools and samsung tools and configured the "do not relock" via samsung tools. I then rebooted and connected to Zune this time it pulled down the pre-nodo update. I installed and tested some side-loaded apps all work fine. I then installed Nodo (via force method not sure why it still does not auto turn up) i checked that sideloaded apps still worked and they do. So pretty much my new phone is where my old one was until my attempt at Mango update.

What i want to know is , has anyone else experienced the lack of samsung zone and orange selects (or any carrier/manufacturer specific) Marketplace sub sections? Also any ideas on why my interop and sideloaded apps did not work when i went Mango? I was very thorough in my reading of instructions here and on XDA. And lastly at this point does any have a suggestion to ensuring my interop passes from NoDo to Mango?

Sorry for the wall of text but i felt since this is a Omnia 7 thread i would put all the details of what i did and see if any other are having the same problem on either orange or other vendors of the omnia 7.
    10-02-2011 02:32 PM

Don't know anything about if the Chevron unlocker's causing your problems but my Samsung zone remeained intact after my Mango update here spliffmonkey187.

I have a standard Omnia 7 here on the 3 network and used the Zune forced method.

There are numerous posts about Omnia 7's on Orange losing the zone.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ion/181163.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ion/181391.htm

Perhaps now that Orange UK are now delivering their Mango update the problem will be fixed.
    spliffmonkey187 likes this.
    10-03-2011 02:58 AM
    Hiya TheWeeBear, thanks for the warm welcome mate :) Yes not only did my Orange Selects go missing but also the Samsung Zone. After doing so more reading i am begin to believe that the forced update is not a carrier sanctioned version of the mango update. That may explain the missing carrier customisation like Orange Selects & Samsung Zone. I also suspect that if you have a omnia 7 on a network that sells the phones locked (to maintain carrier identity) then this forced update may have afew issues.

Again this is all supposition at this point but i am in the process of talking to orange and finding out exactly whats going on and why it is i am not getting a message saying your official mango update for WP7 is available via Zune or my phone via carrier network check.

Once i know more details i will post up and share what i learn maybe i will learn something that might help others avoid the pitfalls i fell into. For now though i will not be joining the mango party sadly :( But we will see what transpires. Will keep in touch.
    TheWeeBear likes this.
    10-03-2011 07:18 AM
    Yes keep us posted on these strange goings on spliffmonkey187. Hope you get it resolved soon. :)
    10-03-2011 07:28 AM
    Well i just got off the phone with Orange and i had to get through the regular customer service phone clerk and talk to his supervisor (both are India based call centers so language barrier was a big problem) since he was not knowledgeable of how the update process works or that Orange and other carriers are ultimately responsible for the distribution and deployment of the update once MS has given them the update to fiddle with.

So this is how it went, according to the Supervisor "Nick"; who himself admitted he was not aware of any updates or that Orange was the one that does the final deploy go ahead, he claimed that you would have to go to and i quote "The Samsung website and download it from there" I corrected him on this then the story changed to "You need to plug it into the client on your PC and if the update comes through then do it, don't force it" When i told him that the only way some Orange customers are getting the "official update" is by forcing it he pondered for a while then tried to pass the buck on to Samsung and MS, but i was able to make sure he understood that in a matter of fact orange was solely responsible for giving the final go ahead and that actually some of the orange user-base was receiving the update without having to force it. So why are some not receiving it? Well according to him "Orange and other carriers do not release such information out to customers" lol basically code for i have no clue and I am trying to brush you off. Eventually we both came to the agreement that in all likelihood what is happening is that it may be a phased deployment and in some cases from what happened with NoDo people might not see the update officially for a few days or weeks.

He did say he would elevate my inquiry to the orange tech team in charge of windows phone 7 as customer feed back was important and if there was a break down in communication between orange and its customers this would only better serve to ensure that in the future wp7 updates are handled alot better and staff are trained to deal with it.

At this point i have pretty much given up on Mango until the problems i have run into are resolved. For now i will be keeping it on NoDo.
    10-03-2011 08:32 AM
    Thanks for sharing spliffmonkey187, terrible state of affairs when the carriers don't have a clue isn't it. :(

Perhaps it's a staggared rollout from Orange and i'tll just happen one day soon. Hopefully that's what it is anyway.
    10-03-2011 08:37 AM
    Aye, it is indeed a sad state of affairs, i wish that MS really stuck to their pre WP7 release promises of ensuring they did the deployment and never surrender the final word to the carriers i feel this will be a problem in the future as WP7 is trying to compete with other more established platforms out there. Let hope things change not only at MS but more importantly at the Carriers. Its almost as if they are stunting the growth of this platform on purpose while really pushing for sales with iOS and Android. So its likely WP7 is not much of a priority.
    10-03-2011 09:37 AM
    Yes i remember only too well MS remarking how the carriers won't have any part in pushing updates, pah! if only! :)
    10-03-2011 09:47 AM
    Well apparently updates are now being rolled out to 50% so surely Orange are part of that - if not then why does it state Delivering on the Where's My Update page. I don't so far from my point see this roll out being any better than NoDo. It's one thing to change some text on a page - and it's another to actually deliver the update.

The carriers are still not giving WP7, and more importantly it's customers who use the system enough support, enough recognition and enough communication.

We should not be having to fish around for these details - this is the modern smartphone world, Microsoft are doing their part - yet those who are supposed to be offering the service simply aren't doing so. Anyway rant over.

Suppose all we really need is someone to confirm they have updated to Mango through an Orange notification - and if so how does your Marketplace look? I am yet to hear from one such person, I doubt if they have rolled it out to anybody.

I'll send a link to this thread to Orange - they may or may not read it, but if they want to actually sell the new Mango handsets they're buying into - they have to start supporting this platform properly. It deserves it. WP7 is growing and the market is there - all the carriers have the opportunity to take advantage of that.
    10-04-2011 03:53 AM
    Couldn't agree with you more mate. It was funny speaking to Orange as well, they tried so hard to brush me off and at the end had to admit that they were in no way knowledgeable of WP7 as an OS nor the very update process that they are privy to.

While it may have been one person and that is hardly representative of the whole company it is still worrying as a trend is beginning to show over here in the UK of not only the carriers not giving a monkey's about WP7 and propagation of the brand but also phone vendors on the high street. I had to take a friend into carphone warehouse and force feed one of their reps into giving my friend a WP7 as he was so adamant to state that quote "WP7 was not going to be around long and is out of date" i had to have a serious lol moment when i heard this guy say that.

But yes the current state of affairs is not good. We will have to see if Orange even bothers to make some form of official statement about the issues people are having. I for now remain skeptical that people claiming to have received the update officially from Orange truly have, probably via the force method that will then make your phone flash up the update notification, but how some are waking up and finding it without ever being connected to the Zune client is however interesting. Once we get official word from Orange that they have indeed begun a network push for the update we will be better placed to see whats going on.
    10-04-2011 04:57 AM
    I asked " Please can you escalate this matter? http://forums.windowscentral.com/sam...7/180959-2.htm is Mango currently rolling out? Will this require another update?

Well they've just tweeted a reply and this was their response:

Hi. Mango is rolling out across the UK. Please keep checking for updates ^Jon

They've obviously not bothered looking at the problem. May roll back and wait for a notification. I don't feel easy using my phone at the moment, knowing I may have to reflash later on when it's full of data.

Will let you know how it goes if I do :)
    10-04-2011 05:16 AM
    Well what an adventure.

Tried rolling back - Zune threw up a hissy fit, (can't remember the error number) then knacked my Omnia. Was stuck at the USB screen on a reboot - tried EVERYthing on the web and XDA no joy.

Was left with the option of calling Orange, or trying a flash myself back to stock (Have never flashed WP before) That seemed to work like a charm..and the state of play for updates since has been as follows...

Initial ROM 7.004...
    Zune Found & Allowed Update to 7.008...
    Zune reports 7.008 as up to date (No it isn't I shout repeatedly at the monitor)
    WiFi Forced to 7392
    WiFi Forced to Pre-Mango (Forget build number)
    Zune Finds and allows update to Mango which has just this second failed at 80090002 sigh...so I try again...

...this time success!! Mango and...Yup Orange Selects are there :)

Not sure if it auto found the Mango update after the "clean-up" update last time or if I had to force it again? Maybe thats the difference this time - Orange have put their final version on the servers?

Anyway just to make sure I am now hard resetting the device.

All done and as if by magic - Samsung Zone & Orange Selects have both dissapeared... I can't be bothered now!
    10-04-2011 01:08 PM
    Hey Shay, yeh I have not bothered upgrading mine again, I am surprised you flashed your phone back to 7004, did you use a stock wp7 EU rom? I am not surprised that they are now saying mango is officially rolling out with the amount of inquiries people have been making it was about time they just came out and said it. But they seem to be avoiding the questions of the apparent bugs with the update that some customers are receiving missing market zones and such. I am not sure how they would be able to fix it OTA but it is a wait and see game right now with orange. Sorry to hear about your issue with the marketplace still existing lets hope they are not only aware of it but also getting around to fixing it.
    10-04-2011 06:07 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD