I think Nokia and Microsoft have blown it

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't even remember now but what did Microsoft show off at their WP8 event months ago?. Windows 8 is done and released to manufacturing. What is taking so long with WP8?
They showed the new Start screen and mentioned a few features such as WP8 will support expandable memory. Microsoft said then that the rest of the features will be revealed later. Yesterday they said the same thing. Ballmer even said "..in 1 to 2 months." WTF???

This wasn't really a joint event. It was a Nokia event that some Microsoft people happened to attend.
Agreed.

Not even hours after Apple announced just the date of their event it was on the cnn.com front page. It is still there on the front page under tech. No mention of Nokia anywhere. You have to into the tech section and then the only story they have about it is about the stock tanking and disappointment. Is that supposed to be buzz?

I had people asking me if I saw the new Moto Razr's yesterday, not one about the Lumias.
Apple has mastered the art of marketing. No one comes close so you can't expect Nokia to generate the same buzz as Apple. Still, your anecdote about the new RAZR buzz troubles me. If the RAZR was able to get people talking about it then Nokia clearly failed because they have, in my opinion, the best (yet unreleased) smartphone. Nokia has a LOT of work to do.

soulzero

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Boy at this rate... when the new WP8 Phones are finally released. Apples” “New” iPhone 5 will already be selling like crazy, and Google will probly be showing off the latest Nexus Phone with Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, Kiwi, Kaiser Roll or what ever they'll call it… Microsoft needs to get a move on…

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
First of, the presentation was presented horribly, and they really need to hire people who can do a better job announcing products that your company are riding on.

But in order for those type of conversations to even get start, there HAS to be something that brings them to even explore the device, and right now there is NOTHING that does that, and the overall vibe from Microsoft and Nokia just really indicates that it will stay that way....

I agree that first Nokia lady was the worst. She had the excitement of a 95 year old in a nursing home. Even the best products will fail if they aren't sold. Inferior ones will succeed with good sales people.

I'm sure MS new stores and W8 will generate some interest. But there needs to be more starting with the salespeople at the retail locations. From what I experienced during the 900 launch about 1 in 5 even had a clue what it was, and 1 in 10 were excited. Anyone of us even if with 0 sales experience could sell more by accident than they do on purpose. :)

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Boy at this rate... when the new WP8 Phones are finally released. Apples? ?New? iPhone 5 will already be selling like crazy, and Google will probly be showing off the latest Nexus Phone with Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, Kiwi, Kaiser Roll or what ever they'll call it? Microsoft needs to get a move on?

Please define what that means, and why do you care?

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
OK, so I feel compelled to post in this thread and it is my first post so Hi to everyone :)

Have Nokia blown it - I don't think so, and Im willing to back it up by switching from a top end droid (GS3) to a 920, when this time last week I was happy and waiting for the release of the next Nexus in November.
So why did I change my mind?
Pure and simple, integration and possibilties. I have been using Win8 for a while now, and I love Metro, if you want to have a PC that works out the box, than Metro is a fail - too big a change. However, putting some time in and setting it up and learning how to use it, it really is clear that alot of thought has gone into it and I think it is the way forward, set up properly, it really is very powerful.

Watching the Nokia presentation, it struck me that with the skydrive integration and the cloud services that W8/WP8 offer me, I could think about doing things differently, in a way that would suit how I actually use online services and information.
Android is great, some excellent apps, but the integration isn't there in the same way, and the google offerings aren't quite in the same league (Google drive anyone?)

For a Win8 user, the Skydrive support on WP8 is excellent and makes the transition from PC to Phone a much more seamless exercise which is a first. Add in decent office support and (finally) a good One Note client and Im impressed, seriously so.
The Nokia software suite and the way the apps work together is another key thing, just by altering the angle of the phone I could call up different information based on maps or City lens, not a gimmick, but a clever and intuitive way to access the information I need when I want it..
Add in the customisation of the Metro interface and Im begining to see how I can have a tool that does what I want, not a tool that I have to adapt or compromise too much on.

Of course, there are compromises, FLAC support is a huge problem, my entire music collection is FLAC based, the SD card or lack of one would have been an issue, but with 25Gb of skydrive space, I can compromise.
A bigger screen would have been nice, and a bit less bezel, I can live with that as with nokia, I know Im getting excellent build quality, and although the Ativ S has a bigger screen, it doesn't have the character of the Lumia or the fun factor.

So after all these years, Im going to move back to a windows phone, the lack of a price or release date is annoying, but not a show stopper as i can't see the same range of possibilities out there with anyone else, so sit tight and hope it is soon.
So Nokia and MS must be doing something right, as Im a top end droid user and Im switching even though there is no release date, and switching ecosystems is not something that is done lightly

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I think it has everything to do with whether or not Microsoft has blown it. Despite your claim (for reasons stated), tons of positive articles are circulating. We all know that positive press generates interest. Interest generates sales.

I predict Apple will blow it come the release of the same old iPhone. What Nokia/MS have done is to leave a great big '?' in everyone's minds when they're trying to decide which device to go for;

"yeah, the iPhone 5 looks nice, but I think I'll wait until I know more about the Nokia Lumia...."

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think it has everything to do with whether or not Microsoft has blown it. Despite your claim (for reasons stated), tons of positive articles are circulating. We all know that positive press generates interest. Interest generates sales.

I predict Apple will blow it come the release of the same old iPhone. What Nokia/MS have done is to leave a great big '?' in everyone's minds when they're trying to decide which device to go for;

"yeah, the iPhone 5 looks nice, but I think I'll wait until I know more about the Nokia Lumia...."

* Having great hardware isn't the end of it. HTC has made great phones with the One series and have generated tons of positive press too. Everyone was interested in them. However they came later than expected to market and by that time everyone was hyped about the GS3. The sales of the One series have been abyssimal considering they are amazing phones.

* What do you mean "Apple will blow it"? What do you base that on? I can tell you this: I'm sure Apple can easily match the camera, display, battery life and NFC which only leaves wireless charging out. Except they will have preorders open straightaway for all carriers and that will be enough for most people to forget about whatever Nokia was talking about.

* People will not want to wait if they don't even know whether their carrier will offer the 920. Do you think people are not buying the Nexus 7 because the Surface is coming? Or not preordering the Kindle Fire HD? Or the iPad mini when it's (supposedly) revealed next week? They are because they don't know when the Surface is coming or how much it will cost or what the full OS will be like and it's the exact same scenario with the Lumia phones.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
* Having great hardware isn't the end of it. HTC has made great phones with the One series and have generated tons of positive press too. Everyone was interested in them. However they came later than expected to market and by that time everyone was hyped about the GS3. The sales of the One series have been abyssimal considering they are amazing phones.

I agree hardware isn't everything, but it's sure a deal breaker when people are considering jumping-ship to an entirely different platform. If this Nokia was running Android, I would back your analogy... but it isn't.

* What do you mean "Apple will blow it"?

I predict they will fail to breathe fresh air into the lungs of tech world. After all is said and done, it'll be another iPhone done 'n dusted. Sure the sheep will go pre-ordering, but that's merely a wave Apple has been riding since the success from the iPod. IMO, it is already starting to break and wash away. They desperately need to start innovating for the future.

What do you base that on?

Just my perception. Nothing factual.

I can tell you this: I'm sure Apple can easily match the camera, display, battery life and NFC which only leaves wireless charging out. Except they will have preorders open straightaway for all carriers and that will be enough for most people to forget about whatever Nokia was talking about.

* People will not want to wait if they don't even know whether their carrier will offer the 920. Do you think people are not buying the Nexus 7 because the Surface is coming? Or not preordering the Kindle Fire HD? Or the iPad mini when it's (supposedly) revealed next week? They are because they don't know when the Surface is coming or how much it will cost and it's the same scenario with the Lumia phones.

I know a bunch of people who are hanging on. People have been hanging on for the iPhone 5 (without knowing anything about it), for the Surface, Nexus 7... it happens all the time. If you're serious about Windows Phone, whether your adopting her or sticking with it, it's a big move. I see these conversations on Facebook/hearing them down the pub all the time. I'm not disagreeing in that people who want their first smartphone might jump straight into bed with Apple, but TBH, that's kind of a given anyway.

Last edited:

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
If you're serious about Windows Phone, whether your adopting her or sticking with it, it's a big move. I see these conversations on Facebook/hearing them down the pub all the time. I'm not disagreeing in that people who want their first smartphone might jump straight into bed with Apple, but TBH, that's kind of a given anyway.

No that's not a given that they'll go straight with an iPhone and that's my whole point. There are many people who could get a Lumia if they could see it's comparable to (or better than) an iPhone in every way. But these people are presented with a shell basically: a phone with an unknown OS, unknown price, unknow release date, unknown carrier. WHat do you expect them to do?
I do say in the first post that missteps don't matter to people already onboard with WP, these people will wait for the 920 (or Ativ S) no matter what. The issue is with Nokia and Microsoft not making sure everyone else is grabbed by what they have to offer.

ryan_linz

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree to an extent that the announcement felt underwhelming, but those that are going to buy the next iphone would buy regardless of what was announced today.

Also, why would you take pictures from a great camera like that and ruin them with crappy instagram effects? The less instagram pictures out there the better.
I think you are talking about the tacky, original Instagram effects. Some of the less drastic effects really improve the quality of the photo. WP definitely needs Instagram.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think you are talking about the tacky, original Instagram effects. Some of the less drastic effects really improve the quality of the photo. WP definitely needs Instagram.

Not to mention you can post original photos without any effects on Instagram so it can only be a good thing to have it on the platform.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I think it has everything to do with whether or not Microsoft has blown it...

...I predict Apple will blow it come the release of the same old iPhone...

Exactly right. The only negative press is the debate on the authenticity of the camera, and I think that Nokia is ultimately going show to the world, this is the real deal. I saw it in action, and they will come out on top in that battle. If everyone else is saying, "holy crap that's great stuff" and that's the worst you have to say is a demo sampler video was fake, that's a good day.

Yes, yes, yes! Apple will reveal a taller 16:9 display with maybe a little better resolution for Retina, and people will cheer for the smoke and mirrors. They're gonna reveal Siri improvements, and at the end of the day it will still only half-work and still won't have third-party API hooks. So the Appleites will never be swayed, but the independent thinkers will look at it and probably say "meh" and consider alternatives. As long as they find a good one, they'll take it. Nokia offers a good alternative.

* Having great hardware isn't the end of it...

* What do you mean "Apple will blow it"? What do you base that on? I can tell you this: I'm sure Apple can easily match the camera, display, battery life and NFC which only leaves wireless charging out. Except they will have preorders open straightaway for all carriers and that will be enough for most people to forget about whatever Nokia was talking about.

* People will not want to wait if they don't even know whether their carrier will offer the 920...

You have good points here. You're right, it's not about the hardware... it's about the presentation and marketing. Apple will ooh and ahh people with smoke and mirrors and talk about magical and revolutionary and amazing, even though none of it really is.

Apple's display is always going to win marketing points, but it's just a rehash of what they have today in a 16:9 package. Congrats, Apple, your display is finally "as good" as everyone else's.

Do we know whether the new iPhone offers NFC? I haven't heard that it does or not. The camera has always been nice, but to say it matches is entirely wrong. Battery life I would expect a bump... the bigger screen size will give them room for some additional mAh, but it won't change the fact that the OS is a battery hog when people actually use it. I see people carrying chargers around all the time, because their iPhone is constantly dead.

You and Supes are both right on people waiting... Appleites will religiously follow Apple to the depths of **** rather than wait for something more impressive, but those who think different will at least be curious about it IF they actually hear about it. Did anyone else notice that Amazon Kindle ads were airing last night right after their launch? Where's the Nokia ads? Where's the Windows Phone 8 ads? Even teaser ads would be helpful right now.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt the five will come close to the camera or touch screen capabilities
It doesn't matter if they actually match Nokia's technology, it only matters that they can come close enough because unlike Nokia they will be unveiling all the OS features and taking preorders on the same day. That's the whole point of the discussion here, no one is denying the 920 is an amazing piece of hardware.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
No that's not a given that they'll go straight with an iPhone and that's my whole point. There are many people who could get a Lumia if they could see it's comparable to (or better than) an iPhone in every way. But these people are presented with a shell basically: a phone with an unknown OS, unknown price, unknow release date, unknown carrier. WHat do you expect them to do?
I do say in the first post that missteps don't matter to people already onboard with WP, these people will wait for the 920 (or Ativ S) no matter what. The issue is with Nokia and Microsoft not making sure everyone else is grabbed by what they have to offer.

Generally speaking, Apple iPhone clearly has the advantage as it's an established device with a universe of WOM for those who are interested in owning a smartphone. They're everywhere and for anyone interested, all they have to do is try out a friend's. The iPhone is sibling of the "iPod" which is pretty much the household name for an Mp3 player, nowadays. It's replaced "Walkman". Then you have the cult-like iFans who advise people to get an iPhone without factoring what they're looking for in a smartphone.

I really don't see how you can dismiss the weigh behind this brand when factoring it's influence on those who are looking for their first smartphone (compared to Nokia/WP).

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter if they actually match Nokia's technology, it only matters that they can come close enough because unlike Nokia they will be unveiling all the OS features and taking preorders on the same day. That's the whole point of the discussion here, no one is denying the 920 is an amazing piece of hardware.

I get what you're saying but what I'm saying is that reviewers are going to be doing comparisons for people to see and HOPEFULLY Nokia will make pure view the brunt of their marketing campaign, so all this might make consumers go "Eh" to the five's camera capabilities. I think the only way they could overshadow it is by displaying great photo editing capabilities

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd share this...

nokia-lumia-920-vs-iphone-4s-cameras-0.jpg

:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2