Does Skype's sound test depend on language region?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I suppose I could just change my language region and find out, but I was just curious if anyone knew if Skype's sound test language was dependent upon the language region settings in Windows.

I'm using US as my region for my Microsoft account, since I'm in the US. I also have the US keyboard selected, since that's what kind of keyboard I have. However, I chose English--UK as my language.

I'm pretty new to Skype, so I used the sound test to make sure I could hear and be heard when using Skype. The sound test was of a female voice with a British accent. Would I get a female voice with a US accent if I switched to English--US? Does the Skype sound test change for other English variants (Canada, India, Australia, Caribbean, Ireland, etc)?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I suppose I could just change my language region and find out, but I was just curious if anyone knew if Skype's sound test language was dependent upon the language region settings in Windows.

It is not directly dependent on the language setting in Windows. It is dependent on the language setting in Skype (Tools Menu > Options > General Tab). However, Skype initially adopts your Windows settings, so if you don't change anything, that is what you will get.

They don't have a test service voice for every possible language however.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Now this is interesting. It looks like there is only one type of English in Skype. I do not see any regional selections.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Now this is interesting. It looks like there is only one type of English in Skype. I do not see any regional selections.

lol. There is obviously more to it than I was aware of.... the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.

The setting in Skype plays the primary role. Beyond that I'd have to guess.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
lol. There is obviously more to it than I was aware of.... the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.

The setting in Skype plays the primary role. Beyond that I'd have to guess.
It is the same with me. I just learned something new.

Skype is the only Microsoft desktop program I've seen so far that does not have multiple versions of English language.

jacksonking112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
It is not directly dependent on the language setting in Windows. It is dependent on the language setting in Skype (Tools Menu > Options > General Tab). However, Skype initially adopts your Windows settings, so if you don't change anything, that is what you will get.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon