XAPs manually downloaded from Marketplace

caret

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've got a 7.5 device and have my development environment set up to allow me to install XAPs to my phone manually, which works fantastically. However, this new "Download and install manually" option on the Marketplace doesn't play nice and I am unable to deploy the XAPs it gives me onto my phone, neither using tools distributed by Microsoft nor a 3rd party.

The help pages mention SD cards, so I'm assuming there is some software component built into phones with SD slots that aids this, but my phone doesn't have an SD slot.

The help pages are also listed under WP8.

So I'm wondering two things:

• if anyone has managed to sideload these XAPs without using an SD card
  • whether someone with WP7.5 has managed to install apps this way (perhaps these downloads are WP8 and they're showing up despite using an account linked to a WP7.5 device)

Cheers

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
If your phone does not have an SD slot I think you're out of luck.

IIRC, XAPs downloaded from the Store are encrypted. XAP deployment tools only work with unencrypted XAPs - so probably the only way to install an encrypted XAP is through the SD slot functionality built into the Store on the phone, which presumably goes through the servers to decrypt the XAP.

caret

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Makes sense now I think about it. Probably some kind of DRM in play, too. Pity, it would have been a useful feature for backing up/ cataloging apps - but then I did go for the cheapo WP option so can't really complain about a lack of an SD slot.

That's for the reply and apologies for my belated one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit